Sponsored

Where Have the Wrecked Jeeps Gone?

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Anyone have an idea where all those Jeeps that were wrecked in the train derailment went? I see a tow company out of the Henderson/Las Vegas area took a lot of them away from the wreck site, and given that the RR's insurance company in theory now owns them, they are likely to be at a salvage Yard somewhere - and although the VINs have been removed from service (so no one can rebuild and get a salvage title). I would think just like any other wrecked vehicle, they are at a pick and pull yard somewhere and can be cannibalized for parts...
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
CoPart should have them soon

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
In the thread that reported the wreck, several people (including some railroad personnel) indicated that they would almost certainly be shredded on-site, along with the rail cars carrying them. Liability, etc.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

scrapped them and let insurance cover the cost. one and done the quickest clean up

Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Usually the MFGRs want vehicles from this type of incident crushed due to potential future liability. Can't blame them.

OP
OP

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
In the thread that reported the wreck, several people (including some railroad personnel) indicated that they would almost certainly be shredded on-site, along with the rail cars carrying them. Liability, etc.
Well, that didn't happen, as there are public domain pictures showing them being towed off, either on flat beds, or behind on their own two wheels...

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Well, that didn't happen, as there are public domain pictures showing them being towed off, either on flat beds, or behind on their own two wheels...
The railcars would be shredded on site. Railcars are steel and aluminum and because of their size it's easier shred and separate the material with a couple of excavators than haul them in one piece. Especially out of a remote place like Elgin, NV. Unless legal gets involved then occasionally they are hauled out by truck to an investigation site. The vehicles, in my experience, will most likely be shredded at a local scrap yard. With so many different materials going to in modern vehicles they can't easily recycle the material in the middle of nowhere. That's what they've always told us at work and from what I've witnessed.

OP
OP

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The railcars would be shredded on site. Railcars are steel and aluminum and because of their size it's easier shred and separate the material with a couple of excavators than haul them in one piece. Especially out of a remote place like Elgin, NV. Unless legal gets involved then occasionally they are hauled out by truck to an investigation site. The vehicles, in my experience, will most likely be shredded at a local scrap yard. With so many different materials going to in modern vehicles they can't easily recycle the material in the middle of nowhere. That's what they've always told us at work and from what I've witnessed.
That would make more sense, taking them somewhere to deal with them (the Jeeps). I believe the tow companies I saw with them, were from Henderson - maybe the yards where they're scrapping them are near there...
Thing is - the RR wouldn't own them, since their insurance carrier would. I wonder if there's a clause in the policy that specifies the carrier's agent will destroy them versus part them out as a traditional salvage yard would do...?
I guess I'll just call the tow companies and ask what they did with them!

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
That would make more sense, taking them somewhere to deal with them (the Jeeps). I believe the tow companies I saw with them, were from Henderson - maybe the yards where they're scrapping them are near there...
Thing is - the RR wouldn't own them, since their insurance carrier would. I wonder if there's a clause in the policy that specifies the carrier's agent will destroy them versus part them out as a traditional salvage yard would do...?
I guess I'll just call the tow companies and ask what they did with them!
The RR doesn't have an insurance company. We're completely self insured. If something happens, it comes directly out of our check book. So the RR may be able to dictate what exactly happens to them.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
RR probably had the check written out before the wreck was cleared. I bet they lost more money on the delayed freight than all those Jeeps combined. Usually the first priority is to clear the rail lines and get the trains moving.
Gregj
Sponsored