...2020 PHEV: but is it "worth it"

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I like the idea of electric vehicles. Ultimately I think its the way forward. However in the mean time, we will be faced with some vehicles when the math is done that just dont make since for some drivers. We, as consumers, have to do our research, math calculations and decide what is right for us in each situation. For my driving habits, a hybrid nor electric vehicle makes any since. The break even point to my pocket book is me holding on the to vehicle way longer than I am sure I would want to.

Now a JEEP is different. I don't see ever giving it up. Its styling, regardless of how old or new, works for me. So the question to me is would I trade my V6 in for an electric. NOT YET. If I am on a trail and run out of gas....I can usually get gas from the buddy in front or the buddy behind, not that I should run out of gas but just say'n. Getting to from home to a great spot to trail is often a journey, one where I am having a hard time finding a plug spot to recharge before hitting the trail. I guess we could carry spare lithium batteries like we do spare gas but the added weight...don't think so. I guess we could throw solar panels on the roof with all the other stuff...more weight...again dont think so. Until infrastructure exists commonly for EVs in the same quantity that we have gas stations, I think I will stick with a gas JEEP. But I know the day is coming and I am waiting....then I will consider a hybird or all electric JEEP.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I like the idea of electric vehicles. Ultimately I think its the way forward. However in the mean time, we will be faced with some vehicles when the math is done that just dont make since for some drivers. We, as consumers, have to do our research, math calculations and decide what is right for us in each situation. For my driving habits, a hybrid nor electric vehicle makes any since. The break even point to my pocket book is me holding on the to vehicle way longer than I am sure I would want to.

Now a JEEP is different. I don't see ever giving it up. Its styling, regardless of how old or new, works for me. So the question to me is would I trade my V6 in for an electric. NOT YET. If I am on a trail and run out of gas....I can usually get gas from the buddy in front or the buddy behind, not that I should run out of gas but just say'n. Getting to from home to a great spot to trail is often a journey, one where I am having a hard time finding a plug spot to recharge before hitting the trail. I guess we could carry spare lithium batteries like we do spare gas but the added weight...don't think so. I guess we could throw solar panels on the roof with all the other stuff...more weight...again dont think so. Until infrastructure exists commonly for EVs in the same quantity that we have gas stations, I think I will stick with a gas JEEP. But I know the day is coming and I am waiting....then I will consider a hybird or all electric JEEP.
I get what you're saying, but this plug in is a hybrid, with a gas engine. So if you do wind up running out of gas out on a trail and you've brought a gas can you're still good to go.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
For me and all the rest waiting for the PHEV and Diesel.

57F39F14-8BEF-4273-BB51-5A80803E5F64.jpeg
Sponsored