Active Noise Control (Cancellation) feature comes to Jeep Wrangler JL

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
My Mustang convertible has ANC, but it shuts down when the top is lowered. The volume and sound curve is also modified.

Some owners don't like the Mustang ANC. No off switch. But they did find that if they disabled all of the microphones scattered around the cabin...it didn't activate!
I am assuming that with a power top, the ANC is easily switched off/on, as the electronics, if even by a simple switch, will know the status of the top. With a mechanical and fully removable top, I doubt such status will be readily available for the ANC. The mics may help shut it off at a certain decibel level, but that remains to be seen.

Yaser Bahman

First Name
Yaser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F Pace S
So do you activate the noise cancellation system by a button or ut is already activated when you turn on the music or radio or it is already activated when youbswitch on the car whithout turning on sound system??

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Tot
So do you activate the noise cancellation system by a button or ut is already activated when you turn on the music or radio or it is already activated when youbswitch on the car whithout turning on sound system??
Totally passive, you do nothing, and it's active all of the time.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I'm assuming they just use the mics to determine the various top status. While I'm guessing, I bet they have a background noise floor and ceiling since they aren't going to blast the speakers with the top down which would still fail to cancel the wind noise. There's all sorts of audio processing magic they could do.

Sponsored

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm assuming they just use the mics to determine the various top status. While I'm guessing, I bet they have a background noise floor and ceiling since they aren't going to blast the speakers with the top down which would still fail to cancel the wind noise. There's all sorts of audio processing magic they could do.
You can see the mics right behind the driver and passenger seats on the sport bar.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Active all the time,, via the sub woofer sending the opposite frequencies I believe..

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I did find one weird thing about the ANC in my Mustang with the top up. If the engine is off but you turn on any of the accessories without the radio on...the ANC is active and the speakers broadcast what sounds like gentle rain hitting the top. Some kind of acoustic feedback.

77ggomez

First Name
Gerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 YJ.
Good question.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It is a passive system, you don't turn it on or off, it is always on.
Does that mean there's no way to test its effectiveness by switching it on and off? I would be interested in knowing how effective it is.

desertbuzz

First Name
Abbas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Does that mean there's no way to test its effectiveness by switching it on and off? I would be interested in knowing how effective it is.
The only way to effectively test the ANC is to do a side X side test with 2 JLs (one with and one without obviously) with a decibel meter and in similar various conditions.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I believe it works via the sub, so in effect I'm guessing the radio would have to be on... Not sure.

ItMustBeJames

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR PUNK'N
With the radio up, whose going to notice?
Sponsored