Sponsored

Warn 102370 Recovery Points for 18-19 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Steel Front Bumper

cyan2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0
Just installed my steel OEM bumper and winch. I have a set of the Warn recovery points but did not installl them today. The reason being is that you do have to do some cutting to the bumper in order to do the install. We are also back and forth about keeping our motor home and if we do I’ll need to put a tow plate in the jeep or swap out the bumper with one with built in tow points. So if I do sell this bumper, I dont know if trimming it would reduce the value.
Do you think these recovery point would work with the skid plate on the rubicon steel bumper? The instruction is not very clear and the photo I saw from warn did not include the skid plate.

warn-102355-rubicon-grille-guard-low-jl.jpg
Sponsored

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
Just finished the install today; here are a few notes and pictures.
1) When you trim you bumper there's two layers you need to cut; that wasn't clear from pictures I'd seen. A sawzall made quick work of the long cuts; I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to connect those cuts. *My cuts extended two inches past the centerline of the bolts that were there. The width I marked in silver sharpie while holding the bumper on
2) Where you bolt on the recovery points is a bit of a pain; pictures didn't make clear there's almost no room to get a wrench or ratchet in the back side. There's actually essentially a cover you can remove (only two bolts) to get better access. I played for a while with which direction the bolts went; sometimes the nut was on the inside to get better purchase or vice versa.
3) Getting the bumper back on was a pain lining up all 8 bolts. Hopefully you have a helper.
4) If you want to keep your stock Rubicon skid plate you need to cut it for the new recovery points to fit.
5) On the passenger side one of the bolt holes for the recovery point was filled with a built-in nut. I ended up taking one of the two bolts that held that cover on and using it for the recovery point with that built in nut.
6) The trim piece just behind the bumper that the instructions tells you you can't reuse- that's not true. I suspect that's true if you install a Warn bumper, mine went right back on.

IMG_20190413_094145175.jpg

This is the cover I referred to. Take it off; it's only two bolts to remove and it'll make things way easier.

IMG_20190413_101531623.jpg

Notch in the skid plate. You can see I cut about a half inch more than I needed.

IMG_20190412_222731398.jpg

Here's what I cut off the bumper; you can see the inside and outside section.

IMG_20190412_222720843.jpg

Touching up the bare metal

IMG_20190413_102225595.jpg

Finished product. *Obviously I painted the recovery points red. They got totally scratched up during install so I need to do a bit of careful touch up

Last edited:

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Just finished the install today; here are a few notes and pictures.
1) When you trim you bumper there's two layers you need to cut; that wasn't clear from pictures I'd seen. A sawzall made quick work of the long cuts; I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to connect those cuts.
2) Where you bolt on the recovery points is a bit of a pain; pictures didn't make clear there's almost no room to get a wrench or ratchetin the back side. There's actually essentially a cover you can remove (two bolts) to get better access. I played for a while with which direction the bolts went; sometimes the nut was on the inside to get better purchase or vice versa.
3) Getting the bumper back on was a pain lining up all 8 bolts.
4) If you want to keep your stock Rubicon skid plate you need to cut it for the new recovery points to fit.
5) On the passenger side one of the bolt holes for the recovery point was filled with a built-in nut. I ended up taking one of the two bolts that held that cover on and using it for the recovery point with that built in nut.
6) The trim piece just behind the bumper that the instructions tells you you can't reuse, that's not true. I suspect that's true if you install a Warn bumper, mine went right back on.

IMG_20190413_094145175.jpg

This is the cover I referred to. Take it off; it'll make things way easier.

IMG_20190413_101531623.jpg

Notch in the skid plate. You can see I cut about a half inch more than I needed.

IMG_20190412_222731398.jpg

Here's what I cut off the bumper; you can see the inside and outside section.

IMG_20190412_222720843.jpg

Touching up the bare metal

IMG_20190413_102225595.jpg

Finished product. *Obviously I painted the recovery points red. They got totally scratched up during install so I need to do a bit of careful touch up
Looks great! Thanks for the write up and the pics.

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you think these recovery point would work with the skid plate on the rubicon steel bumper? The instruction is not very clear and the photo I saw from warn did not include the skid plate.

warn-102355-rubicon-grille-guard-low-jl.jpg
Only if you cut/notch it. See my install with pictures (same thread).

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Great write up Tim.
I saw this AFTER I decided NOT to go ahead and cut the bumper just two days ago, because (1) I was worried about compromising the bumper (2) drilling out where the built in nut (your 1st photo) to use the supplied bolts and (3) compromising the reinstall and integrity of the skid plate. The mopar installation guide made it sound a lot easier didn't it. LOL.

I'm somewhat of a novice at these kind of builds, but the hard bit would be cutting the bumper and skid pan - your photos are pretty good. I'd need to be very careful of the wiring as I've the parking sensors as well as the fog lights in the bumper.

Question is: Dare I do it? hmmmm

cheers
Patrick

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I like these: https://maximus-3.com/jl-bumper-accessories-/jl-d-ring-loops#/
Would like to have front D-rings off the stock bumper. It requires their winch plate, but since I don't have a winch yet, I think this could be a fair trade off.

@Maximus-3 is a Michigan company too, so they get my bid. I got 5 months left on my "no modifications" sentence from my wife (It was part of the agreement when I picked up a new Wrangler).

LOL my girl gave me the no more buying stuff tell after xmas this year. :crying:

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great write up Tim.
I saw this AFTER I decided NOT to go ahead and cut the bumper just two days ago, because (1) I was worried about compromising the bumper (2) drilling out where the built in nut (your 1st photo) to use the supplied bolts and (3) compromising the reinstall and integrity of the skid plate. The mopar installation guide made it sound a lot easier didn't it. LOL.

I'm somewhat of a novice at these kind of builds, but the hard bit would be cutting the bumper and skid pan - your photos are pretty good. I'd need to be very careful of the wiring as I've the parking sensors as well as the fog lights in the bumper.

cheers
Patrick
My personal opinion is that the bumper isn't compromised hardly at all by the cuts you need to make. Also- you mention "drilling out where the built-in nut ... to use the supplied bolts" - there's no drilling out anything. I just removed those two bolts to pull off what's essentially an endcap to that housing to have access to install the bolts/nuts for the d-ring mounts. Once you're finished you re-install that cover with the two bolts. Easy-peasey. Same comment about the integrity of skid plate; you're removing so little material I don't see it being compromised one bit. Also- regarding wiring; you pull the wiring out/off (it's just held to the bumper with little plastic clips) and unplug the fog lights - almost zero effort and concern. In my '18 the parking sensors are in the rear bumper so no comment about whether they're there in yours. If they are they should unplug just as easily as the fogs. All in all I found the project pretty easy with the following considerations:
  • Removal and especially install of the bumper is made far easier with a second set of hands (I vote have a towel or packing blanket present to rest it on instead of putting it on the ground so it doesn't get scratched up).
  • That second set of hands makes it much easier to mark where you need to cut (the bumper) (i.e. hold it in place and mark it- I used a silver sharpie which showed up great)
  • The cuts themselves are pretty basic (as long as you have the right tools)
To me the look in the end was worth the little effort of the project. I vote that you do it, but I also have plenty of experience with projects like this. I give it a 2 out of 10 for complexity / challenge. Good luck!

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thanks Tim. My JLUR parking sensors are front and rear, but I get what you’re saying, and the wiring isn’t the issue.
Regarding that end cap. Like yours, mine has the two built in nuts at the side for the two bolts that hold it on. But mine has a third nut at the front. I could either go out and buy a smaller bolt or just drill it out. Not a big deal.
Thanks for your comments re the integrity. I don’t have the experience to comment, but good to hear.

so anyway I decided to waste even more hard earned cash by ordering the Maximus-3 tow loops. I attach the install guide. The good news here is the detail is great ! Lol

Attachments

Sponsored

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tim. My JLUR parking sensors are front and rear, but I get what you’re saying, and the wiring isn’t the issue.
Regarding that end cap. Like yours, mine has the two built in nuts at the side for the two bolts that hold it on. But mine has a third nut at the front. I could either go out and buy a smaller bolt or just drill it out. Not a big deal.
Thanks for your comments re the integrity. I don’t have the experience to comment, but good to hear.

so anyway I decided to waste even more hard earned cash by ordering the Maximus-3 tow loops. I attach the install guide. The good news here is the detail is great ! Lol
Holy moly those are legit! *And the instructions are AWESOME. Had these been available (or had I been aware of these if they were available) I definitely would have purchased these over the Warn ones.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Holy moly those are legit! *And the instructions are AWESOME. Had these been available (or had I been aware of these if they were available) I definitely would have purchased these over the Warn ones.
I did the @Maximus-3 D-ring Loops myself. The Tow loops are more for flat towing in my opinion. Installed them same time I did their winch plate, they all work together on the plate.

IMG_7114.jpg

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Great write up Tim.

cheers
Patrick
There are no parking sensors in the front bumper...

VitaMeVas

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Dad, Medic
New member here. The Maximus-3 tow loop looks very stealthy compared to some others I’ve seen. Nice look and would give some more secure D ring mounts other than the Rubicon steel bumper front ‘hooks’. Slick.

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I did the @Maximus-3 D-ring Loops myself. The Tow loops are more for flat towing in my opinion. Installed them same time I did their winch plate, they all work together on the plate.

IMG_7114.jpg
Yours look to be towards the middle, how come they aren't more to the sides like the others are showing?

Thanks!
Sponsored