Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I get what you're saying, and if it comes down to it to defend my family I will use whatever force is necessary. I'd rather not get arrested over it so I understand the laws around self defense though. If I'm required by law to use an avenue of escape, then so be it. If I'm cornered, or if it happens to quickly to react, then they're getting a chest full of lead.
Center mass!

Although there is no duty to retreat in FL, if I am the only one in danger and I have a means to SAFELY retreat, I will always choose that course of action. I have previously, in civilian situations I have been in.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Sure there is!

There’s miles and miles of Texas!
Joe, don’t get me wrong - I LOVE TX. I’ve spent a fair amount of time there. But between San Anton and El Paso, I hit “scan” on my radio on the FM band. For over four hours it just....scanned.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I sometimes reference this video as an example when a firearm is needed. I would certainly just drive away if possible (and have) but this poor guy had nowhere to go. Imagine if your kids were in the car.

At least it was a PT cruiser...lol
W O W, that made my anxiety and adrenaline shoot up just watching it. If I had been in that situation with no firearm I saw at least two occasions where (preferably in a Jeep with steel bumpers) they could have backed up and hit/pinned him to the car behind or also in front. It's hard to swing a crow bar when your screaming because your femur bones are being crushed.
Def drive away would be the best but you're right, that poor woman was trapped.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
This is actually a tough one at least for say MN where I live, you would have to feel like your life was being threatened and that you had no choice but to protect yourself, other great states like Wisc, have the castle laws where you can stand your ground etc. but states like MN you have to run away without ever pulling out your weapon even if this guy decided to play whack a mole with your vehicle. MN=Liberal :headbang:

Duty to retreat states suck, I don't get that at all. Illinois gun laws really are not terrible, we do recognize the castle doctrine and are a "shall issue" state. Illinois just does not reciprocate with any other states CCL and we have I believe the most amount of class time hours to complete.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I sometimes reference this video as an example when a firearm is needed. I would certainly just drive away if possible (and have) but this poor guy had nowhere to go. Imagine if your kids were in the car.

LOL!!!

That just wasn’t right. I’ve dealt with that before, in a parking lot. A dude was going berserk on cars, and made his way down to my truck. At that point I was calmly leaning against my truck awaiting his arrival.

When he saw me calmly watching him, he stopped short (first clue that not all crazy people are that crazy), raised his arms with metal pipe in hand, and yelled at me “What are you gonna do, mother fucker?”

I just smiled at him, making eye contact, pushed myself lazily off of my truck, and said very reasonably “That depends on the decision you make,” while sliding my hand onto the pistol grip of my Springfield .45. He watched my hand, his arms and shoulders drooped a bit, and he ran off a few aisles over to resume pretending that he was crazy. I got in my vehicle and left.

Whenever any nefarious characters have approached my vehicle in traffic, I drew my weapon and made it visible, without flagging them with the barrel. That has stopped any nonsense occurring - so far.

Regarding this video, one must be nuanced in their response in order to not violate the law. Hitting the metal of your vehicle may or may not be deadly force. But as soon as he swings at your window that tire iron is arguably a deadly weapon, making the response of deadly force most likely legal. I say “most likely” because any prosecutor, if you are arrested and tried for shooting him, can make the obvious totally questionable.

Peace.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Duty to retreat states suck, I don't get that at all. Illinois gun laws really are not terrible, we do recognize the castle doctrine and are a "shall issue" state. Illinois just does not reciprocate with any other states CCL and we have I believe the most amount of class time hours to complete.
If you are trapped in traffic, you cannot retreat.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, we're a bunch of inbred toothless racists rednecks. No reason for anyone from the left or wrong coast to move here to enjoy our freedom at the same time destroy it with their mentally ill politics. Move along folks Alabama is not for you.
David, I forgot to tell you that I spent about a month just outside of Redstone Arsenal (Huntsville) for an Army course. In my free time I drove around a bit, by the Tennessee River and Indian Creek. I don’t know if that’s as “country” as where you live in AL, but I felt PERFECTLY at home. Not much different from my neck of the woods down here, except it gets far colder up there in winter.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

I literally know thousands of people like this. In my time working in Prison, 850,000+ prisoners came through the system. I have seen other prisoners stabbed over a Ramon Noodle soup. Seen an ear cut off over 10 dollars, Saw prisoners assault staff and others because they thought their free piece of cake was not big enough. Then there is the buck fifty where they cut them from the mouth to the ear... Buck fifty = 150 stitches to sew the wound closed. I worked at a prison that was nicknamed Gladiator School back in the day. I broke up 260 fights in ten months. My last day at work, I worked one hour and 14 minutes. There was three fights and two stabbings in that time frame with two ambulances on the way to the prison when I left for the last time.

As for the guy in the video, I know many corrections officers that would take that bat away from him with out blinking an eye because it would be just another day on the job.

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
Be advised: gun thefts from cars are skyrocketing-nearly doubled in last year alone. Many reports of rows of cars broken into-only things stolen were firearms. As Jeeps especially soft tops, are easy entry, firearms left unsecured in vehicle are easy pickings. If you CCW in Jeep, do not advertise and avoid things like NRA stickers.

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
David, I forgot to tell you that I spent about a month just outside of Redstone Arsenal (Huntsville) for an Army course. In my free time I drove around a bit, by the Tennessee River and Indian Creek. I don’t know if that’s as “country” as where you live in AL, but I felt PERFECTLY at home. Not much different from my neck of the woods down here, except it gets far colder up there in winter.

About 50 miles south of there, beautiful area. My second home is at the beach and I will retire there one day.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Be advised: gun thefts from cars are skyrocketing-nearly doubled in last year alone. Many reports of rows of cars broken into-only things stolen were firearms. As Jeeps especially soft tops, are easy entry, firearms left unsecured in vehicle are easy pickings. If you CCW in Jeep, do not advertise and avoid things like NRA stickers.

Good point. And when you allow a gun to be stolen, you haven’t just lost a gun.

You’ve armed a criminal.
Sponsored