Sponsored

3.0 Diesel release lottery

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA has already manufactured many 3.0s. Your question is best directed at the EPA, which holds the keys to FCA’s release timeframe.
Considering FCA already announced a timeframe for the 3.0 diesel in the 2020 Ram 1500, I doubt the hold up is the EPA.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Considering FCA already announced a timeframe for the 3.0 diesel in the 2020 Ram 1500, I doubt the hold up is the EPA.

Doesn't the EPA have to test the emissions in each specific platform the engine is put in? So having it approved in the Ram may not mean it's approved for the Wrangler, or am I wrong?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Doesn't the EPA have to test the emissions in each specific platform the engine is put in? So having it approved in the Ram may not mean it's approved for the Wrangler, or am I wrong?
Correct. It is approved in neither but they are both expected to receive EPA certifications around the same time.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you think FCA voluntarily delayed these profit-driving models by well over a year, I’ve seen a fine looking bridge for sale in Brooklyn too.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If you think FCA voluntarily delayed these profit-driving models by well over a year, I’ve seen a fine looking bridge for sale in Brooklyn too.
Jeep first announced the Wrangler Diesel in November of 2017. The long delay is squarely on FCA’s shoulders.

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
What are the odds of a manual transmission option?
Virtually zero. The current Aisin manual can't handle the torque output of the diesel. It's unlikely they'll source another manual transmission.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep first announced the Wrangler Diesel in November of 2017. The long delay is squarely on FCA’s shoulders.
They were already selling GC and 1500 3.0s and did not take them off the market as long as they have been on their own accord. FCA has lost many millions on the certification delays for all three vehicles.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
FCA has been touting this and the PHEV engine for years. It was mentioned on this forum that back in April they were going to do retooling at the factory for the PHEV. That was apparently pushed back. Neither of these have shown any signs they will be released.

In the meantime both Ford and GM have released their diesels. My suspicion is they aren’t ready for whatever reason. Either they are trying to iron out performance/function issues, emissions issues, or manufacturing problems. Either way their competitors are having no issues getting theirs out and FCA announced these years ago. Every year is gonna be the year and every year comes and goes.

Hence I’m calling Vaporware until proven otherwise.

T76turbo

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
After reading this article, I don't know if I am up to paying $300.00 on odd number changes and up to $600.00 on even number servicing.

https://www.planetchryslerjeepdodge.net/3-0l-v6-eco-diesel-engine-review.htm

The specifications are fantastic though.

Dont be scared off by the proposed maintenance costs. That is full retail dealer pricing.

I get a new vehicle every year to two years. My vehicle a little over a year ago was a Ram 2500 lifted on 37's. My first diesel. The oil changes (using rotella full synthetic) were 3 gallons plus filter. A gallon can easily be found on sale for $17 a gallon. The filter was around $12.

The fuel filters were around $80-90 for both on amazon. The dealer wanted something crazy like $300-400 for parts and labor depending on what dealer you went to. I replaced mine a couple times and it took about 25 minutes to do both.

All that is moot if you dont do your own basic maintenance. But if you do, It is only slightly more than you are used to.

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Dont be scared off by the proposed maintenance costs. That is full retail dealer pricing.

I get a new vehicle every year to two years. My vehicle a little over a year ago was a Ram 2500 lifted on 37's. My first diesel. The oil changes (using rotella full synthetic) were 3 gallons plus filter. A gallon can easily be found on sale for $17 a gallon. The filter was around $12.

The fuel filters were around $80-90 for both on amazon. The dealer wanted something crazy like $300-400 for parts and labor depending on what dealer you went to. I replaced mine a couple times and it took about 25 minutes to do both.

All that is moot if you dont do your own basic maintenance. But if you do, It is only slightly more than you are used to.
Thanks! Good to know.

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That time frame is late Q4, waiting on the EPA certs to come through. Ram DT still is not certified in Cali. Ram 1500 Classic is out now, but those are older engines.

to the best of my knowledge Jeep hasn't been certified either

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That time frame is late Q4, waiting on the EPA certs to come through. Ram DT still is not certified in Cali. Ram 1500 Classic is out now, but those are older engines.

to the best of my knowledge Jeep hasn't been certified either
What is your source?

I'm not doubting you, just curious.

I'm not convinced the hold up is EPA/CARB but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. My main reason is that when FCA was caught cheating with the last gen Ecodiesel, it was re-certified for sale in ~6-8 months. That seems like a reasonable turn around considering they were caught cheating so I have a hard time believing the Jeep multi-year delays are because the EPA is dragging their feet. I'm not even sure you call it a delay since FCA hasn't even officially confirmed the diesel is coming to the Wrangler AFAIK.

I'd also argue that just because the new engine doesn't have certification doesn't mean the EPA is the hold up. I would assume certification is one of the last things they'd file for when working on a new engine.

Source for re-certification timing: http://fcauthority.com/2017/08/fcas-ecodiesel-v6-epa-certified-for-the-2017-model-year/

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
EPA holdup? I mean. In the time since they said this thing was coming Ford and GM built, certified, and released their diesels. Both of which new designs. So I call shenanigans.

I personally think there is a design holdup. Either they simply can’t get it to pass emissions due to how they designed it or there is a functional or production issue they can’t seem to overcome. You can bet Ford and GM are like “hey little buddy, how’s that project of yours coming?”

I don’t think it’s epa paperwork holdup. The engine either can’t pass emissions due to the design, breaks, or they can’t manufacture it for some reason. Either way. This is the Beyond Good and Evil 2 of car engines. Sure it’s coming out. Sure it is.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EPA holdup? I mean. In the time since they said this thing was coming Ford and GM built, certified, and released their diesels. Both of which new designs. So I call shenanigans.

I personally think there is a design holdup. Either they simply can’t get it to pass emissions due to how they designed it or there is a functional or production issue they can’t seem to overcome. You can bet Ford and GM are like “hey little buddy, how’s that project of yours coming?”

I don’t think it’s epa paperwork holdup. The engine either can’t pass emissions due to the design, breaks, or they can’t manufacture it for some reason. Either way. This is the Beyond Good and Evil 2 of car engines. Sure it’s coming out. Sure it is.
Turns out when you piss off the EPA by cheating on emissions but the EPA can only muster the evidence to extract <1/10th of the VW fines, EPA can still get their pound of flesh by certifying FCA’s competitor engines first and delaying the 3.0 gen2 to the tune of tens of millions in lost revenue. R&D holdups seem a long-shot theory when they had a certifiable and functional 3.0 in 2017/18.
Sponsored