Speaker replacement upgrade

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler MOAB and 2014 Wrangler 2-door Freedom Edition
If I install higher powered speakers, how do they amplified? The PAC adapter is to connect an amp, but how do I return amped sound back to factory speaker locations.
Once you have the PAC adapter it's just like any other aftermarket car stereo installation with an amplifier. You need to run speaker wires to the amp - either from the aftermarket speakers directly (run new wires) or you can tap into the stock speaker wiring in the kick panel or behind the head unit, but either way you run it, you are essentially taking the speaker wiring from off the stock head unit and routing to the amp one way or another. Nothing is labeled though so if you haven't done aftermarket stereo amp installs before I HIGHLY recommend you research the hell out of it, buy a vehicle wiring diagram schematic from All Data DIY or simply hire a professional to do it.
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Once you have the PAC adapter it's just like any other aftermarket car stereo installation with an amplifier. You need to run speaker wires to the amp - either from the aftermarket speakers directly (run new wires) or you can tap into the stock speaker wiring in the kick panel or behind the head unit, but either way you run it, you are essentially taking the speaker wiring from off the stock head unit and routing to the amp one way or another. Nothing is labeled though so if you haven't done aftermarket stereo amp installs before I HIGHLY recommend you research the hell out of it, buy a vehicle wiring diagram schematic from All Data DIY or simply hire a professional to do it.
Gotcha. I can do that. I have the diagrams. I miss when you could go to walmart and get the wiring harness. That way I don't have to cut factory wires, just tap into the harness. :( :(. But Im desperate for better sound.

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. I can do that. I have the diagrams. I miss when you could go to walmart and get the wiring harness. That way I don't have to cut factory wires, just tap into the harness. :( :(. But Im desperate for better sound.
You know I just realized I answered that assuming the AP4-CH41R2 will be pretty much exactly like the AP4-CH41, but I haven't even seen one in person yet. Kind of hard to tell from their PDF but almost kind of looks like there is a small speaker pigtail harness so maybe they do make it easy to run speaker wires. I will post pics/info once I get mine in stock, I have two on order, hopefully will be in by end of next week.

Robbnva

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Just got a JL few months ago. Ready to upgrade my speakers and man my head is spinning. I don’t think I can afford these super expensive speakers being tossed out there. I’m looking at the kickers because I’ve seen those suggested lots of places but I’m wondering if there is something else that is better but still relatively inexpensive?

Also I’m not sure when/if I’ll get an amp because but if I did how hard is that to install myself and is
It really necessary if I’m not ever going to rock a sub?

Robbnva

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I have installed my C2 JL audio speakers and they are a world of difference over the stocks. I have not put my amp in yet as I’m waiting to build my sub box. I’m doing the 1000/5 VXi JL Audio.
Link to the speakers you bought? I feel like that or the kickers are probably the best for my budget

Sponsored

MLC40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You know I just realized I answered that assuming the AP4-CH41R2 will be pretty much exactly like the AP4-CH41, but I haven't even seen one in person yet. Kind of hard to tell from their PDF but almost kind of looks like there is a small speaker pigtail harness so maybe they do make it easy to run speaker wires. I will post pics/info once I get mine in stock, I have two on order, hopefully will be in by end of next week.
Carsterochick I so wish I lived close to your shop. Have you recieved/ installed the new PAC unit? I have an 18 JL with 7" screen non-Alpine system I want to upgrade.

mr187

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Law enforcement
I replaced the factory which were not alpine with all kicker speakers

I had to remove the side pieces on the dash for the knee speakers, but were easy to do. I did add an amplifier to the speakers as well, see below:
Speakers:
Kicker DSC 350 x 2-dash and above the head
Kicker 44KSC404 x 2 - knee and above the head
Kicker 11H58 x 2 -150watt powered 8" subwoofers
Kicker DXA500.1 ( 43DXA5001) amp

How did you mount the 4” speakers. Stock ones have three mounting points and the kickers have 4 mounting points.

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carsterochick I so wish I lived close to your shop. Have you recieved/ installed the new PAC unit? I have an 18 JL with 7" screen non-Alpine system I want to upgrade.
Hey, yes, got them in last Friday, we're putting one in a 19 RAM as we speak (actually that's a big project, that will be here for a couple weeks). I did update my blog post the other day so you can see pictures and see the connections. It even has speaker wire pigtail so you can re-use factory wires and it gives you aftermarket color coded speaker wire that you can extend directly to your aftermarket amp.

Additionally, what I learned is I guess the radios are all the same between premium Alpine amplified and non amplified models so what they're doing is tricking the radio with software and telling it, it's connected to a premium Alpine amplified system to get the output. Gotta love software engineers! Looks like iDatalink figured this out too and they have since updated their DSR1 to work with both amplified and non amplified, but I'm still a fan of the PAC part over theirs along with a JL Twk-88 or VXi amp for DSP control (if DSP desired).

https://carstereochick.com/2019/04/20/jeep-wrangler-jl-stereo-upgrade/

PS - I've had a few customers transport their vehicles for installs, that's always an option.

AP4-CH41R2-with-harnesses-1-768x576.jpg

carstereochick

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey all, found a possible good 4" VALUE priced component system for these vehicles. I just ordered some 6.5" for my display board so we can compare them against Focal and Morel Hybrid's. We'll see how they sound in a week or so. French company called BLAM Audio, model 100 RS. Retail around $250 a set.

http://www.blam-audio.com/product/100-rs/

The creator of this company is a former Focal speaker designer so I'm hopeful these will be best solution for a speaker upgrade that won't break the bank. These are supposed to be highly efficient, 2 ohm, 90 dB sensitivity, rated at 40 watts RMS, soft dome tweeter. Their website describes their speakers as having "French Sound":

“'French Sound' is a subtle and very specific balance designed to accurately reproduce the music’s midrange details whilst preserving all the emotions of the voice. It faithfully reproduces the dynamics of the original recording but diligently retains all the natural nuances and vocal clarity that makes music come alive."

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Hey all, found a possible good 4" VALUE priced component system for these vehicles. I just ordered some 6.5" for my display board so we can compare them against Focal and Morel Hybrid's. We'll see how they sound in a week or so. French company called BLAM Audio, model 100 RS. Retail around $250 a set.

http://www.blam-audio.com/product/100-rs/

The creator of this company is a former Focal speaker designer so I'm hopeful these will be best solution for a speaker upgrade that won't break the bank. These are supposed to be highly efficient, 2 ohm, 90 dB sensitivity, rated at 40 watts RMS, soft dome tweeter. Their website describes their speakers as having "French Sound":

“'French Sound' is a subtle and very specific balance designed to accurately reproduce the music’s midrange details whilst preserving all the emotions of the voice. It faithfully reproduces the dynamics of the original recording but diligently retains all the natural nuances and vocal clarity that makes music come alive."
Annie, thanks for work on all this. Do you have or pics of anyone who installed the Alpine unit in their JL to replace the 5” radio as well as add amps and speaker upgrades.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Additionally, what I learned is I guess the radios are all the same between premium Alpine amplified and non amplified models so what they're doing is tricking the radio with software and telling it, it's connected to a premium Alpine amplified system to get the output. Gotta love software engineers!
That's how ya do it! (Although you might get stuck with some limitations). I always chuckle when I see people talk about electronics in cars as if they're some kinda witchcraft, because they're not. The wiring harnesses are pretty sketchy looking compared to what I'm used to seeing though, lol.

Heevo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Does anyone know the part numbers for the L and R knee panel speaker pods? If possible, I’d like to order them and have them fitted with 6.5’s before I start tearing things apart. Thanks!

CouchPotato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Does anyone know the part numbers for the L and R knee panel speaker pods? If possible, I’d like to order them and have them fitted with 6.5’s before I start tearing things apart. Thanks!
I've been trying to figure that out too, since it looks like the modifications needed are extensive for anything bigger than a 4" to fit.

The part numbers I've narrowed it down to so far for the Alpine equipped systems are:

SPEAKER ASSEMBLY. FRONT. Right.Instrument Panel Parts Module+RC4. Right. [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [Alpine Premium Audio System]. 68283474AB or 68302006AB

SPEAKER ASSEMBLY. FRONT. Left.Instrument Panel Parts Module+RC4.Left. [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [Alpine Premium Audio System]. 68283475AC or 68302007AC

I could be completely wrong but that's what I've come up with from the diagrams. Not sure why there seem to be two part numbers for the same thing and what the differences might be. The non-alpine part numbers are different again.

Anyone else have more definitive part number info?

Heevo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've been trying to figure that out too, since it looks like the modifications needed are extensive for anything bigger than a 4" to fit.

The part numbers I've narrowed it down to so far for the Alpine equipped systems are:

SPEAKER ASSEMBLY. FRONT. Right.Instrument Panel Parts Module+RC4. Right. [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [Alpine Premium Audio System]. 68283474AB or 68302006AB

SPEAKER ASSEMBLY. FRONT. Left.Instrument Panel Parts Module+RC4.Left. [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [Alpine Premium Audio System]. 68283475AC or 68302007AC

I could be completely wrong but that's what I've come up with from the diagrams. Not sure why there seem to be two part numbers for the same thing and what the differences might be. The non-alpine part numbers are different again.

Anyone else have more definitive part number info?
You’ve done better than I. After a full weekend of searching, I’ve came up empty. This is a great start. Thank you!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Am I the only one stressing out big time about trying to get something good done in my JL. I don't have much to spend. I'm missing the days of a pair of 120.00 components up front , 150.00 head unit, a 200.00 amp and a 150 sub and being able to get some great results. Now I'm seeing just to get some shit rolling in these JL U-connect systems I'm needing like 600.00 AMPS, 4 sets of speakers and removing my entire DASH just to access like 2 out of the 8 speakers.
Sponsored