Sponsored

Reminder: 5 quarts of oil to avoid oil overfill

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
After reading this thread, I’m going to call dealers BEFORE I go in for my first oil change and go to the one that says 5. Then after the change I’m going to double check the level and the invoice, right then and there on the lot.
The person that answers the phone is usually a service advisor and isn't the person who changes the oil though, but at least your odds will be better at a dealership that says 5 vs 6 on the phone. lol I told the service advisor on my first two oil changes to make sure it was 5 and not 6 quarts, yet they still put in 6 quarts because of the lack of communication between the service advisors and the techs.
Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Ask the dealership how many liters they would put in. Hint, it’s 4.73. Did Jeep specifically pick 4.73 liters to make sure that all those pesky European auto owners don’t put in 4.75 liters?

I think that Your dealership is full of crap. Write to FCA. Tell them the name of the dealership, the name of the person who told you this and ask if you could get on a conference call with Jeep and this dealership and see what is discussed.
Thanks for the feedback. It sounded reasonable but it seems like no one knows what's going on these days. I guess I need to get on their ass during oil changes. What a shame as it should be one of the simplest maintenance items out there.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks for the feedback. It sounded reasonable but it seems like no one knows what's going on these days. I guess I need to get on their ass during oil changes. What a shame as it should be one of the simplest maintenance items out there.
You’re welcome.

One more thing to consider. In the post I reacted to, you indicated that your dealer said that they put in “5.5 quarters and toss the rest so we put 6 quarts on the invoice.”

Ok, sure. They through out perfectly good oil? Call up your local news station and tell them that your dealership is tossing out 8% of the NEW motor oil that they buy. Oh, wait a minute........

This is a dealership. They probably don’t use quart bottles. They probably use bulk drums of oil......... hmmmmmm...... I wonder why they would make it seem like they use quart bottles? Perhaps you should call them and ask if they use expensive quart bottles vs less expensive bulk drums.

VerservJL, find another dealer.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
With all this disorganization , if a dealer was thinking in the corporate greed way they would be billing the Jeep corporation for 6 quarts and actually only giving the customer 5. After five oil changes they scammed enough oil to do one oil change at near all profit.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
With all this disorganization , if a dealer was thinking in the corporate greed way they would be billing the Jeep corporation for 6 quarts and actually only giving the customer 5. After five oil changes they scammed enough oil to do one oil change at near all profit.
If they aren't smart enough to know it is 5 quarts vs 6 quarts in JLs, yet the customer know, then they aren't smart enough to think of that idea.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Just came from my dealership and had my oil changed. My service manager noted 5 quarts for the change but when I received my billing statement it read 6. Well had it verified at the dealership while I was there and it was NOT overfilled. Looks like the software has not been updated by many dealerships as of yet. Keep an eye out!

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Just came from my dealership and had my oil changed. My service manager noted 5 quarts for the change but when I received my billing statement it read 6. Well had it verified at the dealership while I was there and it was NOT overfilled. Looks like the software has not been updated by many dealerships as of yet. Keep an eye out!
I cant believe this is still a problem.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Maybe this dealer got my idea , Lol

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Hopefully you checked it yourself and confirmed that. I was told by my dealer that even though the Invoice said 6 quarts that it was ok. I checked and it wasn't. I think the dipstick is the only way to be sure, except for doing it yourself.

Sponsored

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully you checked it yourself and confirmed that. I was told by my dealer that even though the Invoice said 6 quarts that it was ok. I checked and it wasn't. I think the dipstick is the only way to be sure, except for doing it yourself.
Yes I did, obviously software that produces the final paperwork was not updated.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
The problem is they don't read. They go on what they knew prior. Jeeps get 6 liters and therefore that is what they do. Even across a different engine type.....
I was told by my dealership that they use a computer to control the oil fill. Had to have my 6 drained by them and refilled at 5 yesterday. They need to make sure they use a JL not JK capacity. They need to read the manual.

SkilledOne4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1966 Ford Mustang GT
Does anyone have an official statement from Jeep or a notice that can be pointed to in order to help correct this? My dealership doesn't believe me even after I showed them the owners manual said 5 qts along with a dipstick with oil above the fill line on the cable itself. They refuse to look anything up and instead are using anecdotal statements that say all 3.6's are the same and take 6 qts. I guess they don't see the addition of start/stop or the fact that the JKs took 5w-20 instead of 0w-20 to constitute a change. This is really frustrating.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does anyone have an official statement from Jeep or a notice that can be pointed to in order to help correct this? My dealership doesn't believe me even after I showed them the owners manual said 5 qts along with a dipstick with oil above the fill line on the cable itself. They refuse to look anything up and instead are using anecdotal statements that say all 3.6's are the same and take 6 qts. I guess they don't see the addition of start/stop or the fact that the JKs took 5w-20 instead of 0w-20 to constitute a change. This is really frustrating.
You should open a case with @JeepCares . They will contact the dealership to let them know they are wrong.

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
Its mind numbing how hosed up the dealer network is. I had my oil changed three times now, the first time complete overfill, second time to correct the overfill and they still overfilled, and then the third time a few weeks ago, I had to stand there and supervise the mechanic standing over him to make sure they only put 5 quarts in, he showed me on the machine that injects the oil, so finally got it right this time but had to stand over them and supervise. I also had a chat with the service manager about it who was completely clueless..... And to make it even worse, they still put 6 quarts of oil on the invoice ..... I didn't have to pay for it since it was free but just shows you how screwed up things are.
Sponsored