Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Hi guys.

So I was recently in an accident last weekend on the Freeway with two pickup trucks (GMC and FORD) yeah, big boys. There was a strange side collision between me and the GMC when traveling at 60 ~ 65 MPH, my aftermarket rock slider hit their tire which made me bounce off, lose control, pickup truck in front of me slowed down (a lot) and boom. rear ended him. I hit the breaks right after I touched the GMC, judging by the damage and the impact I believe we were close to 50 MPH or so when I hit the FORD.

Both frontal airbags went off, front axle highly bent, crumpled hood and extensive damage on right side of the vehicle, passenger door wouldn't even open/close. Nobody had injuries at the scene, the ford truck I rear ended only seemed to have damage on their bumper on left side, and the GMC had no visible damage, in fact they left the scene pretty quickly. Ford got towed even though it was driveable. My jeep couldn't even move. Wrangler Sport 2-D 2018 JL.

I am very happy my wife and I had no injuries, and nobody else involved did. Police officer came over, he questioned me hard tried for me to admit fault but I never did, hell he even suggested I was on my phone and called my wife a liar the fucking ass.

Well today I got a notice saying I am the principal at fault driver. I don't really want to fight this, as everything was very confusing and I just want this to be over. I learned that the GMC driver claimed a minor injury later this week, he just probably went to the ER to get checked, they also claimed damage on their front axle, which I guess is possible? even though their tire and wheel were pristine. The ford I am not sure what the damage is as my insurance told me they both are working with their own insurance to fix their vehicles.

At this moment I don't care about my jeep, I'll make sure I get enough money to get the same jeep from my insurance. At this moment, I am honestly worried about liability. Those two pickup trucks are expensive, and I have 50k in liability coverage for property damage. The Ford is a 2017 F-150 I believe, and even though it had barely any visible damage hidden damage can total these cars easily. The GMC? well I was told by their insurance front axle damage so I would guess and hope it isn't totaled either.

I am crossing my fingers that the 50k would be enough in case the ford is deemed totaled for hidden damages. Does anyone know what would happen? since they are dealing with their insurance, I believe their insurance will come after mine for reimbursement. What's a likely scenario here?

Also guys. just max out your liability, it isn't expensive and I know we all think we are great drivers. but shit DOES happen.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Hi guys.

So I was recently in an accident last weekend on the Freeway with two pickup trucks (GMC and FORD) yeah, big boys. There was a strange side collision between me and the GMC when traveling at 60 ~ 65 MPH, my aftermarket rock slider hit their tire which made me bounce off, lose control, pickup truck in front of me slowed down (a lot) and boom. rear ended him. I hit the breaks right after I touched the GMC, judging by the damage and the impact I believe we were close to 50 MPH or so when I hit the FORD.

Both frontal airbags went off, front axle highly bent, crumpled hood and extensive damage on right side of the vehicle, passenger door wouldn't even open/close. Nobody had injuries at the scene, the ford truck I rear ended only seemed to have damage on their bumper on left side, and the GMC had no visible damage, in fact they left the scene pretty quickly. Ford got towed even though it was driveable. My jeep couldn't even move. Wrangler Sport 2-D 2018 JL.

I am very happy my wife and I had no injuries, and nobody else involved did. Police officer came over, he questioned me hard tried for me to admit fault but I never did, hell he even suggested I was on my phone and called my wife a liar the fucking ass.

Well today I got a notice saying I am the principal at fault driver. I don't really want to fight this, as everything was very confusing and I just want this to be over. I learned that the GMC driver claimed a minor injury later this week, he just probably went to the ER to get checked, they also claimed damage on their front axle, which I guess is possible? even though their tire and wheel were pristine. The ford I am not sure what the damage is as my insurance told me they both are working with their own insurance to fix their vehicles.

At this moment I don't care about my jeep, I'll make sure I get enough money to get the same jeep from my insurance. At this moment, I am honestly worried about liability. Those two pickup trucks are expensive, and I have 50k in liability coverage for property damage. The Ford is a 2017 1500 I believe, and even though it had barely any visible damage hidden damage can total these cars easily. The GMC? well I was told by their insurance front axle damage so I would guess and hope it isn't totaled either.

I am crossing my fingers that the 50k would be enough in case the ford is deemed totaled for hidden damages. Does anyone know what would happen? since they are dealing with their insurance, I believe their insurance will come after mine for reimbursement. What's a likely scenario here?

Also guys. just max out your liability, it isn't expensive and I know we all think we are great drivers. but shit DOES happen.
there is no way you only have 50K coverage. look at your policy, you probably have 3 different limits. look for your collision / liability coverage. "property" is like trees, fences and shit...not vehicles.

Poromenos

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
They will not come after you personally. Your insurance company will give them your policy and then underinsured motorist coverage will kick in if not enough. Glad everyone is ok.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
there is no way you only have 50K coverage. look at your policy, you probably have 3 different limits. look for your collision / liability coverage. "property" is like trees, fences and shit...not vehicles.
Collision has no limit. Liability does, state minimum is 15k. I had already increased it to 50k (THANK GOD). So that is 50K for property damage (liability), 50k bodily injury per person (100k max). I hope the other guys have underinsured motorist insurance in worst case unlikely scenario that the 2 pick up trucks are totaled. Sadly, in my state underinsured motorist is not required. I have it, but a lot of people here do not... if they do have collision I hope I only have to pay their deductible or something.

property damage is for trees, fences, and shit, AND the other vehicles.

So please guys. check your insurances. I didn't know all the God damn technicalities either... otherwise I would have maxed out my liability insurance months ago.

BobBarker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
Sounds like the inevitable descent into chaos happened sooner than expected.

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
i am also worried because the guy in the Ford first words to me were "I can't pay for this". Which sounds like "I only have minimum insurance coverage (aka liability)."

Damn man why would you own a 2017 pickup truck with no collision insurance!!!

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Collision has no limit. Liability does, state minimum is 15k. I had already increased it to 50k (THANK GOD). So that is 50K for property damage (liability), 50k bodily injury per person (100k max). I hope the other guys have underinsured motorist insurance in worst case unlikely scenario that the 2 pick up trucks are totaled. Sadly, in my state underinsured motorist is not required. I have it, but a lot of people here do not... if they do have collision I hope I only have to pay their deductible or something.

property damage is for trees, fences, and shit, AND the other vehicles.

So please guys. check your insurances. I didn't know all the God damn technicalities either... otherwise I would have maxed out my liability insurance months ago.
wow, that is hard to believe but I don't live in CA. different states different limits I guess. I'm covered unless I take out a Ferrari and Porsche at the same time. Good Luck!!!

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
wow, that is hard to believe but I don't live in CA. different states different limits I guess. I'm covered unless I take out a Ferrari and Porsche at the same time. Good Luck!!!
yeah this state loves insurance companies....

check it though, I used to live in VT and it was the same.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

yes, property coverage covers the other driver's vehicle and any real property you may damage (ie fences n shit). these days $50k doesn't go as far as it used to with the cost of vehicles these days. it shouldnt cost much to increase that level of coverage. if you're a homeowner, you should max out all your coverages. the big one is liability which covers medial expenses for other people you hurt. that can easily skyrocket past your limits and they will come after you and your assets. i have $1 million in liability. i think $250k for property. and its the injured party that would likely sue you for the additional costs. their insurance pays out their max and calls it a day. if the "victim" is left with outstanding bills, they may opt to pursue you legally via an attorney.

most likely the other insurance company would not come after you, especially if its not big money. they will pay what your insurance doesnt cover up to their own customer's limits. theyre really not in the business of pursuing people. yes, they may try to subrogate against your insurance but typically not a person. that's just part of doing business. but, as i mentioned above, the "victim"/individual may elect to do so if left holding a bag.

ive never heard of "underinsured" motorist. i think people may be confusing that with uninsured motorist coverage which is coverage that kicks in when the other at fault driver does not have insurance. it basically covers the deductible for your collision coverage. ive been told it doesnt kick in on a hit and run where the other (at fault) driver's information is not obtained.

the tl/dr version, as the op stated, dont cheap out and get minimum or mediocre coverage limits. max out as much as you can afford to do so. it typically does not increase your rates that much and if you are a homeowner and or have a good job, you have plenty to lose. dont find out the hard way and say "i should have spent that extra $300 a year!" lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'll post the pictures of the Jeep once I feel better about it. You guys will be amazed of how safe the JL is. The airbags were smooth as well, I did get a scratch on my wrist and a bit of pain on my nose from the airbag, but they felt very smooth and I remember exactly being thrown towards the steering wheel and then a giant cloud hugging me.

I was in a head on car accident 10 years ago where a drunk driver hit my sedan. He wasn't going fast (30~35?) and I was at a stopped sign. Airbags fell like a very hard punch and my face had blood and scratches all over.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
yes, property coverage covers the other driver's vehicle and any real property you may damage (ie fences n shit). these days $50k doesn't go as far as it used to with the cost of vehicles these days. it shouldnt cost much to increase that level of coverage. if you're a homeowner, you should max out all your coverages. the big one is liability which covers medial expenses for other people you hurt. that can easily skyrocket past your limits and they will come after you and your assets. i have $1 million in liability. i think $250k for property. and its the injured party that would likely sue you for the additional costs. their insurance pays out their max and calls it a day. if the "victim" is left with outstanding bills, they may opt to pursue you legally via an attorney.

most likely the other insurance company would not come after you, especially if its not big money. they will pay what your insurance doesnt cover up to their own customer's limits. theyre really not in the business of pursuing people. yes, they may try to subrogate against your insurance but typically not a person. that's just part of doing business. but, as i mentioned above, the "victim"/individual may elect to do so if left holding a bag.

ive never heard of "underinsured" motorist. i think people may be confusing that with uninsured motorist coverage which is coverage that kicks in when the other at fault driver does not have insurance. it basically covers the deductible for your collision coverage. ive been told it doesnt kick in on a hit and run where the other (at fault) driver's information is not obtained.

the tl/dr version, as the op stated, dont cheap out and get minimum or mediocre coverage limits. max out as much as you can afford to do so. it typically does not increase your rates that much and if you are a homeowner and or have a good job, you have plenty to lose. dont find out the hard way and say "i should have spent that extra $300 a year!" lol
Yeah I was hoping to become a home owner next year.... but now we will see... we are young and I hope this doesn't fuck us up. I called my adjuster and he told me he isn't worried about the injury claim as it was very minor, but he wouldn't go into details. As of property damage (vehicles) he told me he doesn't know yet. I think worst case scenario it would hit like 60~70k (both vehicles totaled), which I think is almost impossible since one of the trucks just drove away without a scratch. In this case, you dont think they'll come after me?

btw there is such thing as underinsured motorist insurance, usually comes with uninsured. My insurance has it as "underinsure/uninsured motorist driver". It is cheap and I have it.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'll post the pictures of the Jeep once I feel better about it. You guys will be amazed of how safe the JL is. The airbags were smooth as well, I did get a scratch on my wrist and a bit of pain on my nose from the airbag, but they felt very smooth and I remember exactly being thrown towards the steering wheel and then a giant cloud hugging me.

I was in a head on car accident 10 years ago where a drunk driver hit my sedan. He wasn't going fast (30~35?) and I was at a stopped sign. Airbags fell like a very hard punch and my face had blood and scratches all over.
Wow I'm glad you two are ok. Just make sure you get checked out! Good luck:like:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i wouldnt worry about it. highly unlikely the vehicle was totaled. even so, your insurance would pay out the max and that owner's insurance coverage would kick in. if he has that new of a truck, that is worth that much, it is highly unlikely that he doesnt have appropriate insurance. full coverage is required for a vehicle you are still making payments on (and for good reason).

so lets say they pay the guy that drove away $10k for repairs to his truck (has to be proven, not claimed). and $40k to the other guy who actually has $50k or $70k loss. that guys insurance will pick up the balance. highly unlikely they would come back to you to attempt to recover that. they know it is pretty much a futile effort and it does cost them a good amount of $ to do attempt to do so.

take it as a wake up call to increase your coverage limits. especially living in litigation land (aka los angeles). you can also increase your deductible to offset the increase but dont go too high or you may be crying after an accident lol.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Wow I'm glad you two are ok. Just make sure you get checked out! Good luck:like:
Yeah we are both fine. My wife side sustained the most damage, we went to urgent care just to make sure and she was ok. She was sleeping at the time of the accident so I think that helped!.

As of me, well I hope it doesn't happen again... second time, no injuries.
Sponsored