First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
I had a 99 TJ that I put a ton of money in that I swore I'd never sell. I ended up selling it in 2004 and have missed it ever since. I moved to TX and kind of forgot about it until I moved back here to Colorado last year. I've been thinking about buying another jeep or Polaris Rzr for a year now. I was bored 3 weeks ago and went and drove a new Rubicon Unlimited and it was all over. I went on a search to find what I wanted and bought it.
Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Both of my children married last year and are out on their own now with good jobs, no student loans and future looking good so it was finally time to do something for myself. A dad self sacrifices most of his life putting everyone else before himself, now is time to be a little selfish and have some fun.

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I’ve always wanted a Jeep but could never afford one. I started off with a Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser when I was a young man. I’ve lived in Florida most of my life and am a backwoods swamp-stomper, so the LC was a good choice at the time. I have been driving off-road my whole life, on my own and with the US Army. Off-roading is 60% driving skill and 40% equipment. I could successfully take a 2WD truck where many guys couldn’t get through with a 4x4.

I have owned trucks my whole life. Towards the end of my Army career I bought a 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2WD with rear locker; I called it a three-wheel drive. I loved it. It was a remarkably capable machine. But I bought it as my second choice, because I could not afford my first choice, a Jeep Wrangler.

I retired from the Army a few years later at 30 years total. I am now a 100% disabled veteran. A month ago I got a wild hair up my butt and started researching Jeep Wranglers again. I went to a dealership, not NEEDING a new vehicle but WANTING a Wrangler. I figured I deserved it. I drove it off the lot a few hours after test-driving it - a 2018 Wrangler JLU Sport 4x4, 2.0T, with various upgrades including a limited-slip diff and a 3rd generation Dana 44 rear axle. Out of all of the vehicles I have owned in my life, I love this Wrangler the most! It is extremely capable and tons of fun! Reminds me of a big girl I once knew...
That's awesome it came with the limited-slip diff and the Dana 44 upgrade. I guess you're all set to lift it and slap on some larger tires haha

Thank you for your service

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Because for years i would be jelly of all the people driving around in theirs and always wanted to get one. Had never driven a Wrangler (of any generation) except for a quick test drive of a JL shortly before ordering mine.

Ditto with my E46. I grew up drooling over the E46 but was too young to be able to afford one while they were in production and when i finally made the decision to buy one i found the one i wanted and had it shipped to CT without ever having driven an E46 before.

My next target (Lotus Elise) will probably be the same. I don't know anyone who owns one but i know i want one, so when i'm ready to get one i'll find the one i want and go get it / ship it before ever driving one before.

Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Without going in to details of why a Wrangler in the first place, I bought a JL because used JKs (and Wranglers in general) hold their value really well and a few year old lower mileage JK wasn’t that much cheaper than the leftover 2018 JL that I bought.

damyers8

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't even in the marker for a Jeep, or any vehicle. My 2015 Colorado was paid off and had low miles so I thought I would enjoy no payments for a little while. It worked out well hauling my quad and was good for mild off-roading. I looked at JK's in the past, but I was not a big fan. My sister has a 2016 JK sahara and the JK's were just too outdated for me. Once the JL's came out and I saw the updates it definitely caught my attention. Then I started to watch Litebrite videos seeing how capable these things are off-road. All I did was go to a dealership to check them out in person and test drive one. Next thing I knew I had ordered a 2019 punk'n JLUR. So far I do not regret it and I enjoy driving it every day. I have been off-roading since I was 4 years old, but with quads. Now I am looking to sell my raptor 700r to continue to add more things to the Jeep. When I have a choice to take out my quad or Jeep, I always choose the Jeep now.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I've owned 2 Wranglers in the past... a 2002 Sport and a 2012 Rubicon. Both 2-drs with manual transmission. For daily drivers in the Dallas area, they would beat the hell out of you to drive 70-80+ on the freeways. I considered the Unlimited in 2012, but initially did not like the look. Then... the 2018's caught my eye. Much more refined, still tough and a bad-ass on the trails, but actually very doable as a daily driver. By then, the 4-dr grew into the look I wanted.

Jeep Wrangler... to me represents a vehicle that can take me to the places that are away from the hustle and stress of everyday life. It's a vehicle that brings out the "kid" in you and says "let's go play" every time you get in it.

I can hardly wait until my 2020 JLRU arrives in the next 1-2 weeks!

OP
OP
JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
I wasn't even in the marker for a Jeep, or any vehicle. My 2015 Colorado was paid off and had low miles so I thought I would enjoy no payments for a little while. It worked out well hauling my quad and was good for mild off-roading. I looked at JK's in the past, but I was not a big fan. My sister has a 2016 JK sahara and the JK's were just too outdated for me. Once the JL's came out and I saw the updates it definitely caught my attention. Then I started to watch Litebrite videos seeing how capable these things are off-road. All I did was go to a dealership to check them out in person and test drive one. Next thing I knew I had ordered a 2019 punk'n JLUR. So far I do not regret it and I enjoy driving it every day. I have been off-roading since I was 4 years old, but with quads. Now I am looking to sell my raptor 700r to continue to add more things to the Jeep. When I have a choice to take out my quad or Jeep, I always choose the Jeep now.
Haha I watched the the LiteBrite videos after I got my jeep and it made me fall more in love with it knowing how capable the thing was. I'm still having steering issues with mine, but it is by far, one of the best vesicles I've owned

Griff71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLUR
I wish I could say that I bought one, but that will come soon enough. Now for the reason I WILL buy one:

Let me first preface this with I refuse to acknowledge the "O" word because that is the first thing my riding buddies say to me when I tell them I am selling my motorcycle. But I have come to realize that I don't recover as quickly as I have years ago and can't afford to go down on the motorcycle. Along with all the distracted drivers out there that are more worried about what's on their phone than what they are running into. I know what distracted drivers will still exist after I get my JL, but I will have more surrounding me. Last but not least, my recreational activities have changed as I spend more time in the back country and less time riding from Bar to Bar to Bar to Bar.

So I will be buying my JL soon (anyone interested in a 2017 Street Glide?) so that I can begin modding it, taking the top off, the doors off and getting out in the wilderness. Looking forward to still experiencing some wind therapy in my JL!

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I bought my JL because I accidentally rented one for a few days in Moab and did the trails.. Less than a week later I bought one :)

My wife has wanted a Jeep for years and I was the one who pushed back. She has been away and does not know I bought it yet so should be a big surprise :)

damyers8

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I could say that I bought one, but that will come soon enough. Now for the reason I WILL buy one:

Let me first preface this with I refuse to acknowledge the "O" word because that is the first thing my riding buddies say to me when I tell them I am selling my motorcycle. But I have come to realize that I don't recover as quickly as I have years ago and can't afford to go down on the motorcycle. Along with all the distracted drivers out there that are more worried about what's on their phone than what they are running into. I know what distracted drivers will still exist after I get my JL, but I will have more surrounding me. Last but not least, my recreational activities have changed as I spend more time in the back country and less time riding from Bar to Bar to Bar to Bar.

So I will be buying my JL soon (anyone interested in a 2017 Street Glide?) so that I can begin modding it, taking the top off, the doors off and getting out in the wilderness. Looking forward to still experiencing some wind therapy in my JL!

I sold my street bike several years ago because here in Ohio it sat most days in the garage. I do miss the open feel, but had a lot of close calls due to other drivers not paying attention. Now with the Jeep I get the open feel back, but also get to enjoy it at the same time with my wife and son. Maybe one day I will get back on a bike, but for now I am very satisfied with the open feel I get from the Jeep.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Both of my children married last year and are out on their own now with good jobs, no student loans and future looking good so it was finally time to do something for myself. A dad self sacrifices most of his life putting everyone else before himself, now is time to be a little selfish and have some fun.
You stole my post!!! I totally agree with this 100%. I have 3 kids, 2 are out on their own and one is still in college, but I have a College savings plan for him, so no out of picket expenses. It was time to do something for myself.........

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
You stole my post!!! I totally agree with this 100%. I have 3 kids, 2 are out on their own and one is still in college, but I have a College savings plan for him, so no out of picket expenses. It was time to do something for myself.........
Picket pocket, no spell check. Of course it feels like a pick pocket for college expenses.... if you know what I mean.

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
Because I no longer had fun with my M3 due to the shitty roads here and wanted something I could enjoy.. Plus I missed the JK I had and go anywhere capabilities and was drooling all over the JL when it was uncovered
Sponsored