Towing a dirt bike

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Recently I had a bit of a scare when putting too much tongue weight via kuat pivot rack and hitch basket all is well tho.

But I need to find a way to tow around my dirt bike, there is an aluminum hitch rack that weights about 35lbs, the bike weights about 300-330 (debating which one I’ll pick up.

Given that the tongue weight is 350, is this going to be too much?

Is my only and safest option to buy a trailer? Really don’t have space for one.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Please help with any ideas, supposed to pick up the bike this weekend

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Make sure you don't go over the rear axle and tire ratings

If you want to put that much weight on the hitch, I would recommend getting it strengthened at a good hitch shop. They should be able to do it fairly inexpensively. I have had this done on my JK.

You might also consider installing an Air Lift air suspension kit for the rear springs. This will help level the Jeep and assist the coil springs, but they will not do anything to lessen the load on the rear axle.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I would buy a trailer that puts the weight directly over the trailer axle/axles, to lessen the weight on the hitch.

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I would buy a trailer that puts the weight directly over the trailer axle/axles, to lessen the weight on the hitch.
Limited space for a trailer unless I get storage unit....but then it’s another 150 a month

I’ll only be doing this 5-6 a year.

Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
There are a couple of threads down in the Towing & Trailer section where folks have used the Hitch racks for dirt/dual sports on the 4 doors.

I happen to have a 2 door and a heavy dual sport/ADV bike (400#) so I use an aluminum folding/stand up type trailer.
It does not take up too much space against the wall.

Not the greatest shot, but thats it against the wall behind my white Tiger 1050.
20180120_154415.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKUR 5.7VVT
I use a home built bike carrier to haul my DRZ400 around, the carrier is of significant weight(est 80lbs) as the DRZ is far from a featherweight. I do this with a 4” lifted JK on 37’s. It definitely feels different but I find it still comfortable to drive long distances. My advice is to lash the carrier side to side to take the “wobble” out of it, couldn’t hurt to instal trailer lighting on the carrier too as the bike will block much of the Jeep taillights. I say for it, it’s one of my favourite solo trip tools, limited fuel penalty great maneuverability.

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I use a home built bike carrier to haul my DRZ400 around, the carrier is of significant weight(est 80lbs) as the DRZ is far from a featherweight. I do this with a 4” lifted JK on 37’s. It definitely feels different but I find it still comfortable to drive long distances. My advice is to lash the carrier side to side to take the “wobble” out of it, couldn’t hurt to instal trailer lighting on the carrier too as the bike will block much of the Jeep taillights. I say for it, it’s one of my favourite solo trip tools, limited fuel penalty great maneuverability.
Do you have any pics? What's the total weight you are putting on the tongue?

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
gave up on it, if i buy a trailer I'll have to pay for storage...I won't be going that often, maybe 10 times a year...ill be renting one from uhaul to start...if I start doing it more then I'll look at options

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
gave up on it, if i buy a trailer I'll have to pay for storage...I won't be going that often, maybe 10 times a year...ill be renting one from uhaul to start...if I start doing it more then I'll look at options
I hope you have a hardtop when you go to U-Haul as they won’t rent trailers to Jeeps with soft tops.

Sponsored

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Recently I had a bit of a scare when putting too much tongue weight via kuat pivot rack and hitch basket all is well tho.

But I need to find a way to tow around my dirt bike, there is an aluminum hitch rack that weights about 35lbs, the bike weights about 300-330 (debating which one I’ll pick up.

Given that the tongue weight is 350, is this going to be too much?

Is my only and safest option to buy a trailer? Really don’t have space for one.

Thanks for the help.
By looking at only weight I'd say you're probably okay but I think there's more going on than just the weight. With a hitch rack I would worry that you'll have additional lever action that wouldn't be as apparent in a trailer. I think you're better off buying/renting a small trailer.

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure where you live, but a single space in an outdoor storage should only cost 30-40 a month. Just make sure you get a good hitch lock. If you get a small enclosed trailer you can even story your bike in it. Good luck.

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I hope you have a hardtop when you go to U-Haul as they won’t rent trailers to Jeeps with soft tops.
Sky one touj
Not sure where you live, but a single space in an outdoor storage should only cost 30-40 a month. Just make sure you get a good hitch lock. If you get a small enclosed trailer you can even story your bike in it. Good luck.
Northern Virginia, everything is jacked up