First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
It is different look. It is a Wrangler. I definitely love the Power top. This one very functional vehicle in this configuration.
I have been known to take the top and doors off on a Saturday just to put them all back on before a forecasted rain on Sunday night.
I will be one of those who will have the doors off as well as the rear windows removed.
I have always found the most arduous task of going "Jeep Comando" was removing the top. The JL doors are even lighter.
"This look" may very well look silly to some, as a previous writer said.
But that's okay. You see, it's a Jeep thing.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think this will be a hit with the 50+ year old Jeep crowd. You know, those well-to-do middle agers who have extra money lying around and like things to be easy?
Amen to that. Older and wiser and with a bad back. 62, by the way.
It takes me 3 minutes to remove the front hardtop panels before heading home from work.
Tap a button. Open up the Jeep. I love it.

J-L

First Name
Joachim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited 2018
Hi there,

There is something about this design that is not making me love it, secondary what I could read at another blog is that its difficult to get the entire roof ,(including the roof frames), off and even more tricky to get it back on. I will wait with this option until I see many Jeep real customers using it.

Good Idea, bad solution...

J-L

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Hi there,

There is something about this design that is not making me love it, secondary what I could read at another blog is that its difficult to get the entire roof ,(including the roof frames), off and even more tricky to get it back on. I will wait with this option until I see many Jeep real customers using it.

Good Idea, bad solution...

J-L
While the soft top can be removed (Jeep strongly recommends that you don't), The frame, rails and rear window are not removable (insomuch as any bolted on part isn't). With some work and possible damage to the system, I'm sure you could dismantle the power top system, but that would defeat the purpose of buying it in the first place: it's for those who neither want nor need to have the vehicle completely open-air, but want/need a convenient option to get as close as possible to that.
With all of the roof options available to buyers, from topless windshield-down to insulated but removable paint-matched hard top and nearly everything in between, Jeep has gone above and beyond to give consumers every possible option for open-air motoring.

Soft top-included on all models
Hard top-$1100 option
Premium top-$595 option
Dual tops-$2200 (includes the premium soft top)
Painted Hard top-$2100
Dual tops with the Painted Hard top-$3300
Power top-$3995
If one of these isn't in your wheel house, you just don't want an open air vehicle.;)

Sponsored

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
While the soft top can be removed (Jeep strongly recommends that you don't), The frame, rails and rear window are not removable (insomuch as any bolted on part isn't). With some work and possible damage to the system, I'm sure you could dismantle the power top system, but that would defeat the purpose of buying it in the first place: it's for those who neither want nor need to have the vehicle completely open-air, but want/need a convenient option to get as close as possible to that.
With all of the roof options available to buyers, from topless windshield-down to insulated but removable paint-matched hard top and nearly everything in between, Jeep has gone above and beyond to give consumers every possible option for open-air motoring.

Soft top-included on all models
Hard top-$1100 option
Premium top-$595 option
Dual tops-$2200 (includes the premium soft top)
Painted Hard top-$2100
Dual tops with the Painted Hard top-$3300
Power top-$3995
If one of these isn't in your wheel house, you just don't want an open air vehicle.;)
Choices... I agree with you. There is something for everyone. Thank you Jeep.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I wanted this when I first saw/read about it six months ago but this is a mis to me by the engineers because it's a pain to completely remove and reinstall. Also looks incomplete. This top is for people who never take the top off. I'd spend the money on the panorama roof that the aftermarket offered for the JK and I'm guessing will be eventually offered for the JL and it was easily removable. Not interested. But to each is own.

Last edited:

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Wi really like the tan white combo

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I think this will be a hit with the 50+ year old Jeep crowd. You know, those well-to-do middle agers who have extra money lying around and like things to be easy?

As a 50+ er... I can tell you your generation is mostly the cream puffs.. no true explorer will buy this option, (unless $ are no object, and I can appreciate that as well)...

So lets be a little respectful of your elders son...

Sponsored

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
Hard to relate to all the comments about the looks, I'm not buying it for the looks, but for the experience. I really want the open air feeling, and yes, I'm lazy, I also like the one button open it up. The freedom tops are nice, but you have to store them where they won't get scratched. seems very versatile, easy to use. Who cares about what someone thinks as they see you drive by? I want it for the boonies, not the mall anyway.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
I'm figuring this top be about $3,377 at 5% off of invoice. In truth, one may want to see this top as cheaper than that if the loss of the conventional black, or for that matter color matching hard top (and that savings) in exchange for this power top by the buyer is thought of as compensating the buyer's cost.

But even still, at this kind of money, I'm thinking that if there's demand for this kind of top, (which I'll define as power and adjustable while moving) that the aftermarket is bound to make a cheaper and better one.
$3,999.00 and they are still working alot of bugs out in them ...heavy storm and carwash leaking ...tracking issues

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
I thought It was a cool idea and convenient for down here when it can start raining in a matter of 5 minutes .....Jury still out with all the bugs that are being worked out

Also wish they were interchangeable so If I did want to go with that top I wouldnt have to buy another Jeep

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
I was at that show and asked the nice booth gal if the side windows could be removed from the standard hard top or only the automatic hard top? She said of course . . . the side rear windows can be removed from all hard tops... Hmmm......
Sponsored