Sponsored

Did Jeep build 2018 Jeep Wrangler with 49-state emission?

trail4fun

First Name
Claudia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018
Hi all,
A couple months ago I bought a 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara from a dealership. I'm located in California and the Jeep has 4000 miles and comes from MA.. so out of state. The dealer works directly with the DMV to get the car registered. They called me up and informed me that my 2018 Jeep Wrangler can't be registered in California because it does not have the 50-state (CA included) emission. I went to the DMV myself and they told me the sticker looks good and they did not see an issue with it. But I do have to go through the dealer and they work with the DMV Business office. They keep believing that the sticker shows only 49-state emission. They want to buy the car back from me. So I have a few questions if anyone knows:
1. Do Jeep Wrangler 2018 even get build with the emission for 49-state anymore?
2. Does anyone have a label under their hood and can confirm how it looks if CA is included?
Here is what mine has: (see also attached/below picture)
U.S. EPA: T3 B70 LDT OBD: CA OBD II FUEL: GASOLINE
CA: ULEV70 LDT OBD:CA OBD II FUEL: GASOLINE
For me this looks correct and shows California included. I really don't want to return my jeep :(
So if anyone of you can help shed a bit of light on this for me that would be great .. as I'm loosing my mind ...
Thank you all in advance,
Claudia

jeep-2018.jpg
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I thought everything was the same for all 50 states now. I have a 2018 Wrangler JLU, purchased in CA and delivered to CA. The label looks exactly like yours.

I don't know much about it, but I can't imagine there being anything else different. You probably will need to get a smog check though. I know that is an issue even if you buy a brand new one from out of state.

IMG_6192.JPG

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Let your dealer sort it out and if they end up buying the Jeep back make sure they do something for you as this is totally their fault for not clearing it up as there shouldn't have been any issues. Im going to assume its Roseville Jeep so that's not in your favor

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Claudia, your Jeep DOES meet CA Emissions standards. There are 13 states (know as Section 177) that abide by the exact same CA CARB emissions standards.... and MA is one of them!!! So, all MA - sold vehicles will have the SAME CA compliance. Your dealership is just being stupid!

Best of luck to you.

OP
OP

trail4fun

First Name
Claudia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018
I thought everything was the same for all 50 states now. I have a 2018 Wrangler JLU, purchased in CA and delivered to CA. The label looks exactly like yours.

I don't know much about it, but I can't imagine there being anything else different. You probably will need to get a smog check though. I know that is an issue even if you buy a brand new one from out of state.

IMG_6192.JPG
Thank you very much for your info. My car did pass the smog test in California already .. which was even more confusing when the dealer told me about the emission issue. Your info helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP

trail4fun

First Name
Claudia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018
Claudia, your Jeep DOES meet CA Emissions standards. There are 13 states (know as Section 177) that abide by the exact same CA CARB emissions standards.... and MA is one of them!!! So, all MA - sold vehicles will have the SAME CA compliance. Your dealership is just being stupid!

Best of luck to you.
THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR THE INFO. This helps me a lot :)

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Did you go get it smog checked? And bring the dmv the passed smog test?

OP
OP

trail4fun

First Name
Claudia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018
Did you go get it smog checked? And bring the dmv the passed smog test?
The dealer had it smog tested once it came from MA to CA. The dealer works directly with the DMV Business office. Since I questioned it all I went myself to the DMV. They told me that they do not see any reason this could not be registered in CA. They even run a VIN check on the car and said it all came back clear. So I followed up with the dealership and pushing them they finally agreed to review this week again with the DMV Business Office but they told me likely there is no chance for me to keep the car .. they just do it because the DMV told me different. So meanwhile I'm collecting more info and about ready to escalate and see if I can get the title and work with DMV myself or get evidence from the DMV contact they have why not. It is such a pain ...

OP
OP

trail4fun

First Name
Claudia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018
The dealer had it smog tested once it came from MA to CA. The dealer works directly with the DMV Business office. Since I questioned it all I went myself to the DMV. They told me that they do not see any reason this could not be registered in CA. They even run a VIN check on the car and said it all came back clear. So I followed up with the dealership and pushing them they finally agreed to review this week again with the DMV Business Office but they told me likely there is no chance for me to keep the car .. they just do it because the DMV told me different. So meanwhile I'm collecting more info and about ready to escalate and see if I can get the title and work with DMV myself or get evidence from the DMV contact they have why not. It is such a pain ...
ohh and the smog test was all good btw ...

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Might this be a thing where Jeep Cares could help?

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I registered many out-of-state purchased cars in CA. The DMV will require you to do a smog test but then when you get to the DMV they need to perform a physical inspection. The ONLY thing they are looking for is that emissions sticker and to make sure it says California on it - which yours does. You are 100% ready to go.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
It sounds like they are trying to sell the car to someone else under you.

Cant you just buy it and registered it yourself from the dealer?
I was getting the same feeling reading this...

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
For reference, my wife's last vehicle, that we bought in Illinois, was not California compliant (2014 Ford Escape). Since we were moving to California, I looked up the rules on bringing a non-compliant vehicle. From what I remember, once the vehicle reaches 5K-7.5K miles it does not matter anymore. Also, this vehicle passed the smog test in California when we moved.

Comparing the emissions sticker to yours, you can see how clearly it would state not-compliant in California.

20161105_125016.jpg