Sponsored

Front LCA Torque. Torque plus angle or just torque?

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I'm getting ready to swap a Rubicon suspension onto my Sport. I see 190 foot pounds as the recommended specification several places for the front LCA bolts. I also see the Jeep spec as 103 foot pounds plus 50 degrees. I don't have a torque wrench that will do 190 lbs but I do have one that will do 103 pounds and a Torque Angle Gauge.

Any reason not to use the Jeep spec and has anyone tried it?

Thanks!
Sponsored

NCBound

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I would err on the side of caution when it comes to suspension parts. Go ahead and torque them to 190. Ive read other posts where people have complained of random creaking, popping, etc and the culprit was LCA bolts torqued too low.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-Drive-Click-Type-Torque-Wrench-63882.html

Heres the torque wrench I bought for doing my rubi swap at $19.99. You can also catch a fantastic deal on a floor jack and jack stands if you need them as well. They had a sale the weekend I went, and I picked up the torque wrench, a mechanics toolchest, 6000lb floor jack, 2 x jack stands, a hitch mounted utility rack, and a couple sets of black sockets all for like $450. (jack was $80 and the floor jacks were 2 for $20).

Not trying to over advertise for HF but hard to say no to the correct specs for pricing that low, ya know?

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I just downloaded the Mopar Lift Kit instructions. They specified 190 ft-lbs for the LCA bolts. If it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me so that's what I'll go with. I'll have to buy or rent a bigger torque wrench. That Snap-On torque wrench is sweet but ain't gonna happen..

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Torque to 190 lb and make sure the Jeep is on the ground and under it’s fall weight before torquing.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I would err on the side of caution when it comes to suspension parts. Go ahead and torque them to 190. Ive read other posts where people have complained of random creaking, popping, etc and the culprit was LCA bolts torqued too low.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-Drive-Click-Type-Torque-Wrench-63882.html

Heres the torque wrench I bought for doing my rubi swap at $19.99. You can also catch a fantastic deal on a floor jack and jack stands if you need them as well. They had a sale the weekend I went, and I picked up the torque wrench, a mechanics toolchest, 6000lb floor jack, 2 x jack stands, a hitch mounted utility rack, and a couple sets of black sockets all for like $450. (jack was $80 and the floor jacks were 2 for $20).

Not trying to over advertise for HF but hard to say no to the correct specs for pricing that low, ya know?
i have the same HF torque wrench. only goes to 150lbs.

190lbs is a LOT. wow.

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
No HF nearby so I drove to the nearest Lowes and bought the Kobalt 50-250 ft-lb torque wrench. That ought to do it. I debated buying one or renting from Autozone but figured I would add to the collection. Now I have torque wrenches to cover most any job. I'll probably do the suspension swap tomorrow morning when it's cooler.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I just downloaded the Mopar Lift Kit instructions. They specified 190 ft-lbs for the LCA bolts. If it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me so that's what I'll go with. I'll have to buy or rent a bigger torque wrench. That Snap-On torque wrench is sweet but ain't gonna happen..
is that just for the front LCAs? i got the rock hard LCA skid plates and they spec torquing to 100lbs. they provide new bolts though.

i am also installing the Skid Row exhaust loop skid plate. it attaches to one of the Front LCA bolts. the horrible directions didnt even include torque specs

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
is that just for the front LCAs? i got the rock hard LCA skid plates and they spec torquing to 100lbs. they provide new bolts though.

i am also installing the Skid Row exhaust loop skid plate. it attaches to one of the Front LCA bolts. the horrible directions didnt even include torque specs
Yes, the front LCAs. 190 ft-lb for both ends. UCAs are 80 ft-lbs. Rear LCAs are 90 ft-lb at both ends. Rear UCAs are 95 at the axle and 120 at the frame.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If you’re just doing a rubicon take off suspension it’s only the springs and shocks. Everything else is the same

Brett

Sponsored

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
If you’re just doing a rubicon take off suspension it’s only the springs and shocks. Everything else is the same

Brett
True. Bolts have to be loosened though and I wanted to make sure I had the correct torque values when I tighten them up.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True. Bolts have to be loosened though and I wanted to make sure I had the correct torque values when I tighten them up.
They don’t need to be touched. Remove bottom bolts from sway bars, remove shocks, raise vehicle up from frame, slide sport coils out and Rubi coils in. Lower down enough to install Rubi shocks, bolt sway bars back. We do these all the time in the shop. Maybe 2 hrs f/r. Don’t even have to remove tires but it makes it easier.

Brett

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
They don’t need to be touched. Remove bottom bolts from sway bars, remove shocks, raise vehicle up from frame, slide sport coils out and Rubi coils in. Lower down enough to install Rubi shocks, bolt sway bars back. We do these all the time in the shop. Maybe 2 hrs f/r. Don’t even have to remove tires but it makes it easier.

Brett
Thanks Brett! That will make life easier.

OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired

Brett
Brett, what about the track bar, brake lines, etc. Will the axles drop enough to swap the springs with those still attached?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brett, what about the track bar, brake lines, etc. Will the axles drop enough to swap the springs with those still attached?
Yessir. You’re only netting 1-1.5” of lift with the Rubi springs. You don’t even need to loosen them for a 3.5” lift if you don’t want to. Track bar is fine, brake lines are fine too. If you’re going with a full lift then I could walk you thru what I do for the brake lines but for what you’re doing it’s not needed. Track bar is the same between the jeeps too.

Brett
Sponsored