Sponsored

Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What happens years down the road when your battery isn’t exactly new? Auto stop / start at every stop with the battery running all your auxiliary “stuff “ ( blower, AC, stereo, etc) requiring a restart and sufficient voltage to restart the engine?

I actually like the idea and get it, in terms of saving some gas and the environment, but I m
Also thinking about the potential negatives. I’d also imagine you’r starter will be getting quite a workout, potentially shortening the life of the starter itself.

Just saying
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
.. but will that even be a noticeable difference to anyone other than the people who keep their vehicle for a decade, etc. Good thing no one keeps Wranglers for that long. ;)
Doh!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What happens years down the road when your battery isn’t exactly new? Auto stop / start at every stop with the battery running all your auxiliary “stuff “ ( blower, AC, stereo, etc) requiring a restart and sufficient voltage to restart the engine?

I actually like the idea and get it, in terms of saving some gas and the environment, but I m
Also thinking about the potential negatives. I’d also imagine you’r starter will be getting quite a workout, potentially shortening the life of the starter itself.

Just saying
I'll do what I do now. Get a new battery.

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'll do what I do now. Get a new battery.
Right, but will the average 4-5 year lifespan of a car battery apply in this case? Or will it mean replacing the battery every 2-3 years?

Never mind the people who will find out the hard way sitting at a stoplight somewhere

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Check back with me in 4 years. It is a bigger battery than in my JK, so I'm guessing it will go the distance. It has a bigger alternator, too.

Btw, my first battery in my JK only went 2 years.

Sponsored

MikeM1968

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Check back with me in 4 years. It is a bigger battery than in my JK, so I'm guessing it will go the distance. It has a bigger alternator, too.

Actually doing some reading up on this- I guess it’s fairly fail safe. Using a smaller auxiliary battery as back up.

Naturally that just means 2 batteries to replace.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually doing some reading up on this- I guess it’s fairly fail safe. Using a smaller auxiliary battery as back up.

Naturally that just means 2 batteries to replace.
Nope. Not on the 3.6 JL Wrangler with ESS. You are probably referring to the Grand Cherokee. There is only 1 battery on the JL, and it is a big one.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer

I got 3 years out of my JK battery, I was like wtf!

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
Nope. Not on the 3.6 JL Wrangler with ESS. You are probably referring to the Grand Cherokee. There is only 1 battery on the JL, and it is a big one.
Actually there is a 2nd battery on the pentastar.

Screenshot_2018-02-19-22-16-27.png

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been under there and I don't remember seeing that. I'll have to look again tomorrow. Good find, if it pans out!

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Almost certain I've read that the JL with ESS has 2 batteries
I read that it has a larger single battery. The owners manual says nothing about the 2nd battery, from what I've seen. I'm going to look tomorrow where that photo shows.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
anyone notice that startups sound smoother with less drag on motor? All around startup sounds way better than jk did with that valve tap that I needed to switch to synthetic oil to rid
Of...

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I read that it has a larger single battery. The owners manual says nothing about the 2nd battery, from what I've seen. I'm going to look tomorrow where that photo shows.
Yeah, the owner's manual is lacking in a lot of information. They keep updating these things as the years go by though. The JL manual is currently at version 2. My 2012 vehicle's manual is now at version 5.

FCA FTW! :rock:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

Just saying
Per the owners manual, one of the conditions where ESS auto-disables itself is if your battery is low. Also does it based on very high/low temperatures, or if interior of vehicle is too hot/cold relative to desired.
Sponsored