EPA ratings 2020 3.6 BSG - disappointed

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
2018 JLU 3.6 auto, mostly on Toronto city roads 20-30km per day round trip, 13 mpg, I'm tend to gun it most of the time. On a trip to Ithaca, NY I think I saw 20mpg
IMG_20190729_130039.jpg
And all I'm looking at is the girl. :involve:
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This makes the existence of the bsg baffling. Just why add all the cost and complexity for... nothing.

Iā€™m curious if the 2.0 without the BSG gets the same as the current 2.0. If so again why would you add the cost and complexity of the bsg.

Diesel and PHEV remain vaporware.
Eerily familiar to the Ford ecoboost saga. Real world mileage is no better than a 5.0 in their F150s, literally almost exactly the same when logging long-term averages, but you pay $1,800 for the engine option and also have way more things to go wrong. (We've owned both, and had turbo issues with the ecoboost). Do people not use calcultors?

It's why I decided to skip the 2.0 in our JL. KISS applies here.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It's a brick:like:...
My JL gets a much better mpg than my TJ every did.
Every generation seems to get better mpg and more power. My '97 TJ had the 2.5 4-banger and 3-speed automatic. Was total dog and averaged 14-15 mpg no matter what. My '15 3.6 automatic Freedom Edition averaged 17-18 mpg combined. My '19 Rubicon with the 2.0T averages around 19-20 mpg combined with A/C blasting. I have seen around 24-25 mpg all highway. Also the 2.0T is damn rocket compared to the 2.5 or 3.6. A lot has to do with the new 8-speed auto. Great match with the 2.0T.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Looking at the fueleconomy.gov site to see how the 3.6 BSG did in the JL, and saw interesting comparison...

For the unlimited ...
2020 3.6 BSG 20 combined, 19 City 22 Hwy
2020 3.6 ess 20 combined, 18 city, 22 hwy
2019 3.6 ess 20 combined, 18 city, 23 hwy
2019 2.0 BSG 22 combined, 22 city, 24 hwy

Disappointed in the 3.6 BSG... was hopeful it would have been closer to the 2.0, or at least better than the 3.6 ess. Also not sure why the hwy number went down by 1 mpg from 2019 to 2020.

Rethinking a bit my choice of 3.6 in my 2020 JLUS... but I already have a 2.0 direct inject turbo in another car that had some issues, and wanted the ā€˜simplicityā€™ of the Pentastar. Was just hoping the etorque version was going to post better mpg numbers.

-Spaghettipie
It's not that bad.
I get usually between 25-27 MPG mixed with the diesel, but I only have 2800 km on it, so I expect that will improve.
I normally drive conservatively though.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The BSG doesn't do anything for highway mileage. It cranks the engine and provides a split second of additional torque at very low RPMs as you're starting from a dead stop. It never was intended to be a full hybrid, but as a much improved start stop system over the 12V ESS. The fact that the city mileage had a full MPG improvement over the standard ESS says something about how well the BSG works.
Exact!y. The "Mild " part of "hybrid"...

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eerily familiar to the Ford ecoboost saga. Real world mileage is no better than a 5.0 in their F150s, literally almost exactly the same when logging long-term averages, but you pay $1,800 for the engine option and also have way more things to go wrong. (We've owned both, and had turbo issues with the ecoboost). Do people not use calcultors?

It's why I decided to skip the 2.0 in our JL. KISS applies here.
TBH, the Ecoboost has been one of my favorite engines. It is a fantastic gas engine for a truck because it has ample torque even in the low rev range similar to a diesel. When buying my F-150 I test drove both the V8 and the V6 Ecoboost. Ecoboost was much more fun to drive(particularly in Sport mode), had more usable torque for towing AND had *slightly* better gas mileage. That was worth $1800 to me. It's not like MPG is the only reason to get the Ecoboost.

Anecdotes are pretty worthless but between family members and friends I know of several 2015+ F-150s with the Ecoboost and so far none have had issues.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Every generation seems to get better mpg and more power. My '97 TJ had the 2.5 4-banger and 3-speed automatic. Was total dog and averaged 14-15 mpg no matter what. My '15 3.6 automatic Freedom Edition averaged 17-18 mpg combined. My '19 Rubicon with the 2.0T averages around 19-20 mpg combined with A/C blasting. I have seen around 24-25 mpg all highway. Also the 2.0T is damn rocket compared to the 2.5 or 3.6. A lot has to do with the new 8-speed auto. Great match with the 2.0T.
I'm not sure if rocket is what I would call the 2.0t. I'd agree its def a big difference vs the 2.5 but vs the new 3.6 I'd hardly call it rocket faster lol.

I wanted to like the 2.0t but low range and from a stop felt like I was driving my 4cyl yj until the boost kicked in. It would scoot once it got boost but it was a easy pass for me.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm not sure if rocket is what I would call the 2.0t. I'd agree its def a big difference vs the 2.5 but vs the new 3.6 I'd hardly call it rocket faster lol.

I wanted to like the 2.0t but low range and from a stop felt like I was driving my 4cyl yj until the boost kicked in. It would scoot once it got boost but it was a easy pass for me.
The 2.0 was designed to excel in low range torque(with bsg active), so not sure why you felt that way, perhaps it was the 4.10 gearing in the rubicon vs 3.45 on the non-rubi 2.0 that made the difference?

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2.0 was designed to excel in low range torque(with bsg active), so not sure why you felt that way, perhaps it was the 4.10 gearing in the rubicon vs 3.45 on the non-rubi 2.0 that made the difference?
Both rubicons with 4.10 gears. After driving the 2.0 I looked up some dyno charts and confirmed what my ass felt. The torque curve is sudden and less smooth in the 2.0t.

Let's be honest tho with either of these engines the real star of the show is that 8 speed zf trans.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

Thatā€™s because youā€™re in Missouri. Lol. Up here the turbo is a rocket compared to the V6. Iā€™ve had both. If I was in the flatlands, it might have been a bit harder to choose....but not at 7k ft. No brainer.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s because youā€™re in Missouri. Lol. Up here the turbo is a rocket compared to the V6. Iā€™ve had both. If I was in the flatlands, it might have been a bit harder to choose....but not at 7k ft. No brainer.
I didnt even consider my challenger a rocket with 400hp/tq. I might have liked it more at altitude but I've had no complaints with either of the other 3.6l at altitude when we visit your beautiful state.

Lots of people love it and I'm not trying to hate on it I just didnt prefer it.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I just realized that if/when the mythical diesel and PHEV come out the wrangler will have a whopping 7 possible engine transmission combos.
3.6 manual
3.6 bsg auto
3.6 auto
2.0 bsg auto
2.0 auto
Diesel auto
3.6 PHEV auto.

Thatā€™s completely insane. The 2.0 seems to get better gas mileage and torque. The bsg in the 3.6 does zero for mileage so assuming it does equally nothing for the 2.0 then Iā€™d argue the bsg should be scrapped. The 3.6 Id also argue should be scrapped as the 2.0 has better torque and mileage. The only argument to keep the 3.6 is that itā€™s more reliable which...fair enough I suppose.

That would drop engines to
2.0 auto
2.0 manual (why this isnā€™t offered manual is beyond me).

Then add in the diesel (manual would be nice). 3 engines. Focus on making them reliable.

The PHEV is a cool idea but very expensive to fix. Very complicated. Does anyone trust fca to make something that complex reliable? And letā€™s face it. Sad as it is to say not a lot of wrangler buyers care about gas mileage. That PHEV breaks out of warranty as is apt to happen with an fca product you are so screwed. Go full electric with 4 motors a la Rivian and youā€™ll have a much simpler mechanical system, better torque, and better handling.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
2018 JLU 3.6 auto, mostly on Toronto city roads 20-30km per day round trip, 13 mpg, I'm tend to gun it most of the time. On a trip to Ithaca, NY I think I saw 20mpg
IMG_20190729_130039.jpg
I am sure if you "gun it" then there is more thirst from the busy pistons . Living in Canada do you set your Jeep to miles? I know many older Canadians of course measure distance and mileage by miles . I honestly think it was a mistake to convert Canada to the metric system considering the largest trading partner and a giant of a neighbor has been running all business in the US measurement system. I just find it little confusing in Canada how we go about the business of measurements.I think Canada is probably the only country in the entire world where new cars will have available settings in both miles and km on the tachometer . Yet we still buy "2 by 4 " lumber , in construction its still mostly feet and inches , in supermarkets it's still pounds etc. Well , that was a national gift of the old Trudeau guy and even now we still have to deal with the Trudeaus .
Sponsored