Sponsored

Why a Wrangler? Pic & Story Thread... Share Yours!

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the early 2000s I was in the market for a new vehicle. I was looking at a Wrangler but couldn't pull the trigger based on the reliability concerns (at least as I perceived them at the time). Was also looking at the FJ but never liked it enough. Ended up with an Infinity FX-35 for a couple of years and then back to a boring sedan. Since that point I always looked at Wranglers longingly...like the girl who got away (and didn't turn out to be some psycho hose-beast). I've been wanting a Wrangler ever since. Now that i'm old(er) and have more money and I'm in the market for a new ride I'm pulling the trigger. Most likely a 2019 unless my current car throws a rod or something. I've thought of sabotage so I'm "forced" to get it early but that just doesn't seen like the best move. I'll maybe get a shiny color that will drive my wife nuts like Mojito or Nacho.

I had all of my JK upgrades planned. Made a big spreadsheet of everything. Now that'll have to be redone given the design changes and the need to wait for JL aftermarket parts. I find the planning half of the fun of a purchase (well, hopefully not with the Wrangler - maybe 25%). Very much looking forward the being able to do the "Jeep wave" from a Jeep and not from a Mazda (you get funny looks). Can't wait to get with a group and hit MOAB or someplace else out West.

Pete
You are so right about the planning being a big part of the fun! I'm staying stock for awhile with my JL Rubi, but could see a 2" lift at some point. I am going to quickly put a winch on it, though. Either an Engo or Smittybilt X20. A CB will be going in as soon as a suitable mount can be found. I'm also looking to get some of the Mopar molle gear or other molle pouches to put on the seatbacks, including a first aid kit, which Mopar appears to have shown at SEMA.

In the mean time, the JK will still get a few more minor mods to keep me occupied.
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is my first Jeep I bought new in 1988:
firstJeep.png

I bought this 1980 CJ7 used when I got married in 1990:
cj7.png
And here is my current Jeep:
currentJeep.png
My two boys grew up in that last one.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
Personally for me, I love the idea of what Jeep represents. Adventure. Whether its crawling to the top of alpine passes in Colorado with my wife, or camping on the north rim of the Grand Canyon with my dad. Jeep has been there in the all conditions, gotten me there and home with little trouble. Epic vistas are what Jeep gives me, so in a nut shell, that's "Why Jeep"
Engineer pass 2.jpg

Sponsored

powderboarder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Sonic
I know I have not rejoined the Jeep crowd yet, but hoping to do so approximately September.

I first Jeep was supposed to be a 1994 Jeep YJ Sport in Red. 4cyl with 5-speed manual. Purchased back in 2008. I was learning to get my license at the time, and had to learn to drive a stick. I was starting to get the hang of it, when my old brother decided that he was not able to drive his 1987 Camaro in the snow and convinced my parents to let him use the Jeep while I was learning.

Before I could finish my driver's training and fix up the Jeep a bit (It had some rust holes, an engine filled with sludge from the previous own, and a speedometer that did not work) he comes home with a story regarding a plow truck coming over the hill and him spinning out. The Jeep was a wreck, but still semi drive-able. You had to dukes of hazard to get into the driver door as it became pinned between the hinge and the back panel from hitting a tree in the back.

After that, it pretty much became his vehicle. He decided that due to the engine oil already being gummed up, he would put used oil into it as it would just burn it. The frame began to rust out, which apparently caused the steering box to come detached at some point and would only allow you to turn once it became bound up on some other frame components. By the end, it would only run if you kept constant throttle and drove it like Nascar. Every time you shifted it would blow flames out of the exploded muffler.

Even with all of those faults, I still miss that feeling of going through a mud pit, while learning how to properly shift up a hill without stalling. I spent hours just sitting in it, and trying to clean it of the decade or so of caked on grime embedded in the vinyl seats.

Still not sure what color to get of the JL. All of the vehicles that have actually made it into my name have been green, so I am leaning toward the Mojito. But that HellaYella also looked amazing at the autoshow.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
I'm particularly looking forward to you replicating that experience with a JL. Take pictures of it shooting flames and dragging the steering box on the ground.;)

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Armycop-
You mentioned Missouri...favorite trails or spots there?

Thanks!

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Well, my first vehicle I purchased was a used YJ. I absolutely loved it and still mourn the loss by selling her. I have so many great memories in that Jeep with my dog, Chuck. He was a big Dalmatian with a protective streak. He had a sweet face which would lure people to come closer and look at him-he would lunge and scare the crap out of them. :cwl: :cwl: My soft top had clear plastic and I went to a marine fabricator and had the entire top replaced with tinted plastic. She is my absolute favorite vehicle to this day :)

Sponsored

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Oh boy - here we go...

The First One (1997)
1987 YJ 2dr - Colorado Red with black hard top

This was my first, and by far most terrible Jeep. And I loved it. 16 years old, no top, no doors, holes in the floor, no cares at all. I knew nothing of what a Jeep could be, I just knew they were fun and special. And I made up my mind I'd have one forever. Pic below is not mine, but accurately indicates quality. This was not a mechanically sound vehicle. We found a crowbar in the engine bay. Just wedged in there, not ours. It was a great Jeep, but sadly, it didn't last long.

yj.JPG

The Replacement (1998)
1997 TJ Sport 2dr - Moss Green Pearl with a tan soft top and half doors

My first "fancy" Jeep. Almost new when I got it, upgraded tires and wheels. I still knew nothing about Jeeps but I actually tried to be a bit more adventurous in this one. I went legit off-roading for the first time (see result below) and even bought and installed my fist mod, a big ass light bar we called "daylight". Lastly, I have to say being a young, male, single, high schooler with a nearly new and good looking Jeep was A LOT of fun.

TJ1.jpg

The Florida One (2009)
2006 TJ Sport X 2dr - Light Khaki Metallic with a soft top that was down so often I can't remember the color

As a reward for my first promotion at a real job, I upgraded to a newer TJ with a bunch of cosmetic upgrades. My education was continuing, but I still knew nothing about Jeeps. Despite that, I had more fun in this car than should be possible. Florida is a great place to own a Jeep, and this one was bathed in sun and at the beach constantly. Everyone wanted to take the Jeep everywhere. It was perfect. I honestly wish I knew more about it. As a more educated Jeep owner, a 2006 TJ is back on my list as a potential 3rd car (though it would be a Rubi). Also, this one introduced me to forums, as the automatic shifter broke and I did my own repair with a chopstick (note to TJ buyers - check the shifter stem for chopsticks).

TJ.jpg

The Almost Real One (2015)
2013 JK 2dr Sport - Billet Silver with black soft top + painted black hard top.

This was my first Jeep where I started to care about things like gearing, 30 vs 44, lockers, etc. Built with purpose for wheeling in California, this was my first real project. I loved it. Took it out to real trails, drove it though rivers, and got into the community a little more. 2.5 lift from Teraflex, 33 inch Duratracs, Method Race Wheels, Engo 10k Winch, Armor all around. And plans to reinforce the front 30 and add a locker to the rear. Loved this Jeep and was sad to part with it, but I had a very good reason (kids).

JK.jpg Cleg.jpg

The Rubicon (2018)

2018 JL 4dr Rubicon - Firecracker Red with black hard top

Current Jeep. First Rubicon, super happy with it. Got it off road at mile 71 and plan to do a lot more. With a full family now this will likely become an overlander and do a lot of camping. I will document all it's adventures on this forum. Hope to keep it for a long time.

IMG_9861.JPG

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Oh boy - here we go...

The First One (1997)
1987 YJ 2dr - Colorado Red with black hard top

This was my first, and by far most terrible Jeep. And I loved it. 16 years old, no top, no doors, holes in the floor, no cares at all. I knew nothing of what a Jeep could be, I just knew they were fun and special. And I made up my mind I'd have one forever. Pic below is not mine, but accurately indicates quality. This was not a mechanically sound vehicle. We found a crowbar in the engine bay. Just wedged in there, not ours. It was a great Jeep, but sadly, it didn't last long.

yj.JPG

The Replacement (1998)
1997 TJ Sport 2dr - Moss Green Pearl with a tan soft top and half doors

My first "fancy" Jeep. Almost new when I got it, upgraded tires and wheels. I still knew nothing about Jeeps but I actually tried to be a bit more adventurous in this one. I went legit off-roading for the first time (see result below) and even bought and installed my fist mod, a big ass light bar we called "daylight". Lastly, I have to say being a young, male, single, high schooler with a nearly new and good looking Jeep was A LOT of fun.

TJ1.jpg

The Florida One (2009)
2006 TJ Sport X 2dr - Light Khaki Metallic with a soft top that was down so often I can't remember the color

As a reward for my first promotion at a real job, I upgraded to a newer TJ with a bunch of cosmetic upgrades. My education was continuing, but I still knew nothing about Jeeps. Despite that, I had more fun in this car than should be possible. Florida is a great place to own a Jeep, and this one was bathed in sun and at the beach constantly. Everyone wanted to take the Jeep everywhere. It was perfect. I honestly wish I knew more about it. As a more educated Jeep owner, a 2006 TJ is back on my list as a potential 3rd car (though it would be a Rubi). Also, this one introduced me to forums, as the automatic shifter broke and I did my own repair with a chopstick (note to TJ buyers - check the shifter stem for chopsticks).

TJ.jpg

The Almost Real One (2015)
2013 JK 2dr Sport - Billet Silver with black soft top + painted black hard top.

This was my first Jeep where I started to care about things like gearing, 30 vs 44, lockers, etc. Built with purpose for wheeling in California, this was my first real project. I loved it. Took it out to real trails, drove it though rivers, and got into the community a little more. 2.5 lift from Teraflex, 33 inch Duratracs, Method Race Wheels, Engo 10k Winch, Armor all around. And plans to reinforce the front 30 and add a locker to the rear. Loved this Jeep and was sad to part with it, but I had a very good reason (kids).

JK.jpg Cleg.jpg

The Rubicon (2018)

2018 JL 4dr Rubicon - Firecracker Red with black hard top

Current Jeep. First Rubicon, super happy with it. Got it off road at mile 71 and plan to do a lot more. With a full family now this will likely become an overlander and do a lot of camping. I will document all it's adventures on this forum. Hope to keep it for a long time.

IMG_9861.JPG
Wow!! Amazing photos and what wonderful adventures! Thanks for sharing :)

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up in Namibia (Africa) and my first exposure to Jeeps was an old Willys my Grandfather had to drive around on the farm. I remember getting stuck in mud one time so deep we had to walk miles to get a tractor to pull us out. Since then we've always had Land Rover Defenders in the family, but they are kind of hard to get in the US... My first Jeep in the USA was a 2005 TJ that I still use as a daily driver today.

PICT0956.JPG

powderboarder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Sonic
I'm particularly looking forward to you replicating that experience with a JL. Take pictures of it shooting flames and dragging the steering box on the ground.;)
Hopefully not too that extent, but do hope to replicate the fun of going Michigan Mudding, and taking the path less travelled.
Sponsored