The how's and why's of getting a booster pack to crank your 3.6L

mojitojeep

First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I also jumped my JL with a booster. The brand is Beatit and it's on Amazon for about 70 bucks.It has more cranking amps than the one mentioned at half the price.
This is the one I was going to get :) It has wireless phone charging for your phone too :P
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I also jumped my JL with a booster. The brand is Beatit and it's on Amazon for about 70 bucks.It has more cranking amps than the one mentioned at half the price.
Yup, this is the one I have as well. Very powerful!

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
so how do you know if your smaller auxiliary battery is charged up? when I look at my dash I can see the voltage (ie. 14.2). Is this the combined voltage of the large battery and the smaller battery because they are linked? thanks

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I notice you left out thorough. That requires words when dealing with complex issues. Again, sorry, not sorry.
Sorry, I fell asleep, while typing. This post has fast become a bedtime story for me. No more melatonin, just long technical details, painfully drawn out.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Hey you don't have to explain yourself. It was a well structured article.

His post just quickly identifies who frankly just don't know how to read more than 1 sentence without getting tired.
Also as a side fact, he is a Kentucky fan. They are the worst fans in all of sports. Ever hear what they did to the referee a few years ago? They harassed the guys business, wrote fake bad Google reviews, and called his residence.

Needless to say, if you put all of them together, you'll get a full set of teeth and 3/4th of a brain. So you might wanna cut the guy a break on intelligence. If it was anyone else, I'd say play the game they wanna play.

Keep it classy, Lexington.

Sponsored

MD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus ES350, Ford F150, Kawasaki Teryx Sport
Maybe it got overlooked in this thread, but @MD1 was able to jump his JL with a booster pack in the “normal” way. I for one am happy to hear this.

I plan to order the same booster pack, and hopefully it will work if ever needed. If not, I’ll then look more into the intricacies discussed here on the forum.
UPATE: July 26, 2018
On July 25, 2018 had to once again use the Micro Start XP-10 Heavy Duty to start the JL to take it to the dealer. Started up immediately, no problem. Dealer checked batteries and charging system. The problem was a bad main battery while the aux battery was fine and working at 100%. I told the tech that based on info that I have Read the aux battery is what starts the JL.. He stated that if you were to disconnect the main battery that would be possible but with a connected main battery the juice would run through the main and thereby creating a weak aux battery situation that would not activate the start relay. That makes sense to me. The bottom line is that if you have a strong enough booster (just like jumping from a host vehicle) the JL will start without having to disconnect anything. This real world experience is a great relief to me and I no longer fret dead or low battery issues.

Keep in mind when shopping for a boost/jump start system that the cheaper ones are usually made in China whereas the higher priced units are usually made in the USA which do not have the tendency to heat up, short out and ignite. There is much data available regarding this matter. These are the same type of batteries that are not allowed on airplanes. I have also had units made in the USA that swelled up and still showed a full charge. In that case I was told by the manufacturer to immediately discard the unit for fear of it blowing up or igniting. These units do not fare well in extreme heat such as stored in a closed vehicle. Been there, done that. That is not to say that lower priced units will not get the job done or not last as long as more expensive units. Shop around and purchase what ever unit you feel will do the job. For me when I'm out and about by myself and or the wife and grand kids in the middle of nowhere, saving a few dollars is the last thing I'm concerned about. Hope this info makes JL owners feel more comfortable regarding battery issues.

Safe travels.......

MD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus ES350, Ford F150, Kawasaki Teryx Sport
UPATE: July 26, 2018
On July 25, 2018 had to once again use the Micro Start XP-10 Heavy Duty to start the JL to take it to the dealer. Started up immediately, no problem. Dealer checked batteries and charging system. The problem was a bad main battery while the aux battery was fine and working at 100%. I told the tech that based on info that I have Read the aux battery is what starts the JL.. He stated that if you were to disconnect the main battery that would be possible but with a connected main battery the juice would run through the main and thereby creating a weak aux battery situation that would not activate the start relay. That makes sense to me. The bottom line is that if you have a strong enough booster (just like jumping from a host vehicle) the JL will start without having to disconnect anything. This real world experience is a great relief to me and I no longer fret dead or low battery issues.

Keep in mind when shopping for a boost/jump start system that the cheaper ones are usually made in China whereas the higher priced units are usually made in the USA which do not have the tendency to heat up, short out and ignite. There is much data available regarding this matter. These are the same type of batteries that are not allowed on airplanes. I have also had units made in the USA that swelled up and still showed a full charge. In that case I was told by the manufacturer to immediately discard the unit for fear of it blowing up or igniting. These units do not fare well in extreme heat such as stored in a closed vehicle. Been there, done that. That is not to say that lower priced units will not get the job done or not last as long as more expensive units. Shop around and purchase what ever unit you feel will do the job. For me when I'm out and about by myself and or the wife and grand kids in the middle of nowhere, saving a few dollars is the last thing I'm concerned about. Hope this info makes JL owners feel more comfortable regarding battery issues.

Safe travels.......
Meant to type July 25, 2019, not 2018

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Thanks but I will refer to the owners manual it is the only legitimate source of information after all.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Also as a side fact, he is a Kentucky fan. They are the worst fans in all of sports. Ever hear what they did to the referee a few years ago? They harassed the guys business, wrote fake bad Google reviews, and called his residence.

Needless to say, if you put all of them together, you'll get a full set of teeth and 3/4th of a brain. So you might wanna cut the guy a break on intelligence. If it was anyone else, I'd say play the game they wanna play.

Keep it classy, Lexington.
Ah, a jealous Dukey fan. It’s ok, someone has to be number two. Now Nancy, go back to fapping over your Christian Laettner poster.

:EDIT: Ha, ha, just read your user name. You’re only number two in your state. Still butthurt about this, Nancy?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2018-12-22-17-north-carolina.html

Last edited:

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Ah, a jealous Dukey fan. It’s ok, someone has to be number two. Now Nancy, go back to fapping over your Christian Laettner poster.

:EDIT: Ha, ha, just read your user name. You’re only number two in your state. Still butthurt about this, Nancy?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2018-12-22-17-north-carolina.html
Nice December win dude!

Me, personally, I love the March wins better.

Remember Luke Maye? That's our version of Christian Laettner :)

Now go eat a booger.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice December win dude!

Me, personally, I love the March wins better.
96.png
Kentucky Wildcats
Tournament Appearances: 57
Final Fours: 17
Championships: 8 (1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998, 2012)
Win-Loss: 126-51

153.png
North Carolina Tar Heels
Tournament Appearances: 48
Final Fours: 20
Championships: 6 (1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009, 2017)
Win-Loss: 123-45

Uh huh. Too bad you don’t experience them as often as we do.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Remember Luke Maye? That's our version of Christian Laettner :)
Worst. Officiated. Game. Ever. There is a reason those officials were targeted for shenanigans.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh, and...........

367FDA2F-4199-46B4-95B8-4919E5AB1B48.jpeg

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
So is anyone going to spare us the long ass post and just put a pic of where to plug the booster lol. Holy crap that was a whole lot of info for a simple here plug your booster here.
Sponsored