Sponsored

People that have gone from "sporty" rides to a Wrangler... be honest now... do you regret it?

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I've always believed you can't replace something you enjoy with something else you also enjoy. The fact remains you enjoy two different things, which is fine, maybe even healthy. I been fortunate because I have been able to have two cars for the past 20 years. At the same time I keep cars for a long time, likely averaging 10 years for any given vehicle. in 2017 I sold my 2001 Porsche Boxster S which I had since new and replaced it with a 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (image hopefully attached). This, to me anyway, is an ideal sports car if you like almost perfect road manners combined with adequate power and true sports car looks. To me it makes a great second car to go along with the JLUR as they are absolute opposites yet excellent, each in their own way.

IMG_0275.jpeg
Sponsored

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I started out driving fast cars, when the family arrived I switched to 4x4 SUVs drove those for many years still kept my Landcruiser after owning a modified R32, highly modified STI, modified GTR (fastest car o-60 2.8), stock M3 and have now replaced all with 2019 JLUR with lots of goodies, no regrets about leaving the hi speed stuff behind

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I've driven "sporty" cars my entire life, but the new JL is beyond cool in more ways than I can count. It also checks my 2 biggest boxes... a top that can open up AND 4WD (something not common on many sporty cars). I'm really, really tempted to go from my Mustang to a Wrangler when I make my next auto change, but I'm afraid once the "newness" wears off I'll miss my sporty ride. I realize that this kind of a conundrum is something that is personal to each person, but is there anybody else out there that has made a similar leap? In the end, how do you feel about your decision? Thanks for your time and comments!
I've had sports cars for years.. last one being a 2013 ZL1 Camaro convertible. Love the fact that my drop top is now a JL Rubicon. I have a 2018 Raptor for performance (accelerates like a motorcycle, handles like a sports car, rides like a Lincoln, pulls like a draft horse, climbs like a mountain goat, busts snow drifts like a sled dog) and have not missed the Camaro or my previous sports cars at all. Now, that might all change with the 2020 Stingray, but for now, dropping the top and heading to the mountains does what I need....

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I have become obsessed with having my own Wrangler JLU in Hella yella, due to the fact that I have fallen head over heels for my wife's Mojito Wrangler. The problem is , I am petrified to give up my Allroad ! It is a fantastic car. Comfortable,quick,beautiful,go anywhere transportation that I truly love. This thread has shed an abundance of light on the topic. So many of you have given up fantastic DD's for your jeeps and seem pretty content, with very little remorse. I wish I could say that all the responses have helped me make the decision to trade , but they haven't. I remain frozen but fixated on getting my own Jeep. Riding the fence instead of a Wrangler !
IMG_0188.JPG

Last edited:

blue_meany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had my JK for ten years and had the speed/luxury itch and bought a BMW M5. I drove it for 2 1/2 years and bought a JLUR. I love the M5. That car(IMO) is the ultimate sedan and the power is unreal, but the wow factor wears off. For me, the JL is much more “fun” and practical at the end of the day.

Sponsored

Sandow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker Red 2 DR Rubicon
Came from a BMW M4, and have no regrets at all. I was over the top OCD about that car. Only drove it on sunny days, constantly worried about every little bump, crack, pothole on the roads. Couldn't drive it in the winter here in the Midwest. I have no regrets at all. Love having the top off my Rubicon and just cruising around in it. So much more fun, and relaxing.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I have become obsessed with having my own Wrangler JLU in Hella yella, due to the fact that I have fallen head over heels for my wife's Mojito Wrangler. The problem is , I am petrified to give up my Allroad ! It is a fantastic car. Comfortable,quick,beautiful,go anywhere transportation that I truly love. This thread has shed an abundance of light on the topic. So many of you have given up fantastic DD's for your jeeps and seem pretty content, with very little remorse. I wish I could say that all the responses have helped me make the decision to trade , but they haven't. I remain frozen but fixated on getting my own Jeep. Hangin on the fence.
I like to have one vehicle in the household that is comfortable, smooth, quiet, and has good fuel range. Something that is easy to drive for up to 8h a day. The second vehicle can be some flavour of fun. It can be rough and noisy, that's fine.

Happos2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Yes and now, just depends on the day! I loved doing track and autoX days with the M3. However, now I enjoy taking the jeep on stuff the M couldn't do (wheeling!). That being said, I enjoy two different activities. I could always get a cheaper sports car and go back to what I was doing before alongside of owning the jeep, but I have prioritized doing other activities for now. Maybe that will change in the future, maybe not.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I had my JK for ten years and had the speed/luxury itch and bought a BMW M5. I drove it for 2 1/2 years and bought a JLUR. I love the M5. That car(IMO) is the ultimate sedan and the power is unreal, but the wow factor wears off. For me, the JL is much more “fun” and practical at the end of the day.
Did you get rid of the M5?

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My secondary car was a sporty convertible and no complaints.
Cons - I can no longer take corners at 40mph. The super tight steering.
Pros - I no longer feel like someone will run over me. I can use my sunshade to keep my mostly bald head from getting burned. People's headlights are no longer in my direct vision. I no longer look like an ape crawling up out the vehicle. I no longer have a clutch that requires 100lbs of pressure to shift gears. I can actually fit 4 people. I can tow. I can go anywhere. Smoother ride. Drivers cutting corners now dodge AWAY from me.

Reactions: apb

Sponsored

theox05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former:18 JLUR, 18 BMW M4, 981 GT4 Now: 21 JLUR XR
Came from a BMW M4, and have no regrets at all. I was over the top OCD about that car. Only drove it on sunny days, constantly worried about every little bump, crack, pothole on the roads. Couldn't drive it in the winter here in the Midwest. I have no regrets at all. Love having the top off my Rubicon and just cruising around in it. So much more fun, and relaxing.
This is the price of owning a sports car. You either have to get over this and DD it (I DD my M4) or make it a garage queen, which isn't very fun. I kept my M4 and my wife picked up the JLUR. Win-Win all around.

At some point I'm going to need a new front bumper (rock chips), paint touch up on the hood, etc, but that rocket gets my heart pounding every time I walk up and open the door. Its worth it.

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
My JL is my first not so fast car I own. Had STi, Evo, GTi, Golf R, M3 to Jeep. It is such a nice feeling I no longer need to worry about pot holes lol. Absolutely no regrets and I don't think I can ever go back to a normal car!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I have become obsessed with having my own Wrangler JLU in Hella yella, due to the fact that I have fallen head over heels for my wife's Mojito Wrangler. The problem is , I am petrified to give up my Allroad ! It is a fantastic car. Comfortable,quick,beautiful,go anywhere transportation that I truly love. This thread has shed an abundance of light on the topic. So many of you have given up fantastic DD's for your jeeps and seem pretty content, with very little remorse. I wish I could say that all the responses have helped me make the decision to trade , but they haven't. I remain frozen but fixated on getting my own Jeep. Riding the fence instead of a Wrangler !
IMG_0188.JPG
As many others have already said, I prefer my Wrangler over the "go fast" vehicles. There's something uniquely fun about a Wrangler that no other vehicle I've ever owned has offered. Maybe part of that fun is knowing that you can go anywhere if you really wanted to.
For me the biggest appeal is that I'm much more likely to use off-road capability than speed. You can't really use rapid acceleration or high top speeds legally in many cases. But you can very easily find a place to drive off the beaten path. And unlike strips and road courses, trails tend to be free.
I was just talking to Derek (@OMTBiker) about this topic yesterday. More specifically he may have some insight about the Allroad vs Wrangler to help you out.

In the mean time. My "go fast" cars.
I had a Steeda Mustang (a '97) and a Charger RT (a '14). Neither were as fun to drive as the Jeep.
100_6377 resize.jpg

15 8-21 (20) resize.jpg

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
I traded my 2012 VW Golf R for a 2017 Sahara. It was really fast. 0-60 in 4 seconds flat. Loved it and miss it still to this day. I since traded my Sahara for a new 19 Rubi.

C2EDABD2-A829-4BB0-854D-1ABFB3C52A18.jpeg

49AFC74D-8C95-42AE-84ED-60A8567583F3.jpeg

CEE9E319-31C9-4DE0-B05D-A283BDEB9148.jpeg

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
IMG_0188.JPG
I consider myself a spirited driver. I daily drive a G8 and absolutely love it! It’s paid for, so now the Jeep is my car payment. I love it too. But I don’t think I could give up a car. In New England, there’s not much off roading. But quick acceleration and corner carving is any road you want it to be. I say enjoy your wife’s Jeep and your car.
Sponsored