Sponsored

Could you change the cams in a 3.6 and get more low-end torque?

SPRINKLES

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392, 2001 TJ
Not sure who would make cams for the 3.6, but could different cams shift the power range and allow for more low-end torque? I'm guessing it's either too expensive for such little gain and/or there's not tuning software available for it.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
The cams are VVT more likely a software fix with a good tune

OP
OP
SPRINKLES

SPRINKLES

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392, 2001 TJ
You’d be better off spending money on a supercharger.
Supercharger isn't going to help much w/ low end torque. It may add a little, but won't be much under 2k. I was just asking if the cams would help move the power curve on down.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Supercharger isn't going to help much w/ low end torque. It may add a little, but won't be much under 2k. I was just asking if the cams would help move the power curve on down.
Roots/positive displacement superchargers are your best option with 3.6L.

Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’m just regearing. I agree the low end torque is an issue, but the only thing I can think of to make any meaningful improvement is deeper gears.

OP
OP
SPRINKLES

SPRINKLES

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392, 2001 TJ
Is there anything in the tune at all that's hindering low-end torque? I know GM is bad about adding a lot of torque management to their autos, but not sure if Jeep is as bad about it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Is there anything in the tune at all that's hindering low-end torque? I know GM is bad about adding a lot of torque management to their autos, but not sure if Jeep is as bad about it.
Possibly traction control? I feel like my 2.0 JLR is faster with traction control off. Even though the light doesn't illuminate during a WOT launch, I still think it might be kicking in.

As far as tuning, I don't have any experience with the 3.6, but the theory with other vehicles I have worked on is intake/exhaust/tune. This typically would allow the low-end timing to be advanced & AFR adjusted, for more low-end power. The larger benefit would actually be the ability to change the VVT crossover point, so that it switches to the more aggressive camshaft profile earlier, increasing the mid-range power.

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Possibly traction control? I feel like my 2.0 JLR is faster with traction control off. Even though the light doesn't illuminate during a WOT launch, I still think it might be kicking in.

As far as tuning, I don't have any experience with the 3.6, but the theory with other vehicles I have worked on is intake/exhaust/tune. This typically would allow the low-end timing to be advanced & AFR adjusted, for more low-end power. The larger benefit would actually be the ability to change the VVT crossover point, so that it switches to the more aggressive camshaft profile earlier, increasing the mid-range power.
Your tires don’t light up if you mash the gas? I can rip them free in first and second gear without any issues. Typically the first 12 feet are good and then when it hits they just break free.

This is also with 35” KO2 and 28 psi.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Your tires don’t light up if you mash the gas? I can rip them free in first and second gear without any issues. Typically the first 12 feet are good and then when it hits they just break free.

This is also with 35” KO2 and 28 psi.
No, as long as I am pointed straight they won't spin much. I'm on the OEM 33" K02 at 36 PSI. I wonder if it's because I am a 2-door (better weight transfer?).

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
No, as long as I am pointed straight they won't spin much. I'm on the OEM 33" K02 at 36 PSI. I wonder if it's because I am a 2-door (better weight transfer?).
My 2 door 3.6 Rubicon with Oem KO2 tires smokes the tires at will. As others have said from a dead stop I could smoke them like a muscle car, I can even break them loose on a roll.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
My 2 door 3.6 Rubicon with Oem KO2 tires smokes the tires at will. As others have said from a dead stop I could smoke them like a muscle car, I can even break them loose on a roll.
Nice. Have any videos?

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Oh boy. Reading S like this is so painful.

All depends on the blower buddy. As someone said, a roots.positive displacent will help a lot - give you INNNNNSTANT torque from idle. Problem is nobody seems to be making a kit, yet. I'm a procharger fan but would never put one on this motor. Gears are 100% your best bet, especially for the cost. I'm new to this Jeep and Mopar thing. Confused by the lack of aftermarket engine support. But probably also spoiled by the fact that my other 3 cars are either LS or BBC powered. Wish I could look at this little 3.6 as cute. But it aint - it sucks the holy high hard one.