Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Rahneld - thanks for the reply. What I meant by "these things" was Jeeps with the ESS. So you answered my questions.
Yesterday, reading various threads that might also apply, I came across some where people were suggesting the "SmartStopStart" device that essentially retains the last chosen setting (on or off) of the ESS, until such time as you choose the other setting, as an alternative to having to remember to turn off the ESS every time you start the Jeep. I like the idea, and according to their website, it doesn't create any error messages or codes...although they do suggest you unplug and remove it when taking your Jeep to the dealer so as not have it become a point of contention in a warranty claim. Curious - what are your thoughts on this device?
While I don't own it, I have heard excellent reports about in on the forum for those who do want the ESS system to "remember state" between cold cranks.

Cheers.
Sponsored

MD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus ES350, Ford F150, Kawasaki Teryx Sport
Gentlemen, inspite of all the good natured pokes at each other. The technical info is greatly appreciated so as to give us all a better understanding of how the JL works and how to get it going when it fails to do so. That being said, I was very concerned about being stuck in the middle of nowhere when the batteries failed to do their job properly just as many jeep owners have posted.

Lo and behold my day came today (July 24, 2018) when I went to my garage, sat in the drivers seat of my 2018 JLUR, stepped on the brake peddle, pressed the start button and nothing. After a brief oh shit moment the time had finally come for me to test out my new Micro-Start XP-10 Heavy Duty starter. I have owned Micro-Start products before and they performed as designed to do. I've owned my JL for 17 months and it has 17,000+ miles on it. After much reading regarding this matter I prepared myself to do things in the manner they should be done in order to start my JL.

So I took out the Micro-Start XP10 Heavy Duty from the rear of my jeep. Checked to make sure all lights on the starter where on indicating a full charge (which it had), connected it to the positive and negative terminals of the main battery. Walked around to the drivers side, sat in and pressed on the brake peddle and start button the engine fired up immediately!

I was very relieved that this simple process using a strong enough jump starter worked without having to go through all the other processes that I have been reading about. This should give JL owners confidence that a strong enough booster will get the job done.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Gentlemen, inspite of all the good natured pokes at each other. The technical info is greatly appreciated so as to give us all a better understanding of how the JL works and how to get it going when it fails to do so. That being said, I was very concerned about being stuck in the middle of nowhere when the batteries failed to do their job properly just as many jeep owners have posted.

Lo and behold my day came today (July 24, 2018) when I went to my garage, sat in the drivers seat of my 2018 JLUR, stepped on the brake peddle, pressed the start button and nothing. After a brief oh shit moment the time had finally come for me to test out my new Micro-Start XP-10 Heavy Duty starter. I have owned Micro-Start products before and they performed as designed to do. I've owned my JL for 17 months and it has 17,000+ miles on it. After much reading regarding this matter I prepared myself to do things in the manner they should be done in order to start my JL.

So I took out the Micro-Start XP10 Heavy Duty from the rear of my jeep. Checked to make sure all lights on the starter where on indicating a full charge (which it had), connected it to the positive and negative terminals of the main battery. Walked around to the drivers side, sat in and pressed on the brake peddle and start button the engine fired up immediately!

I was very relieved that this simple process using a strong enough jump starter worked without having to go through all the other processes that I have been reading about. This should give JL owners confidence that a strong enough booster will get the job done.
This is great! I've been waiting for some "real world experience" regarding this issue!

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Interesting info, glad you put it out there. This could be a good resource for information as people experience this type of problem.
I would rather be stranded in the middle of the dessert for a week than read this long post.!! :)

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I would rather be stranded in the middle of the dessert for a week than read this long post.!! :)
I too, even as its author, would rather be in the middle of a delicious snack than read this.

It's the desert with 1 "s" though that will, so aptly commented on by another, not me https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...k-to-crank-your-3-6l.34067/page-2#post-773886 likely find you unappreciative ass remembering this article and reading it with a fine tooth comb if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with access to little more than a booster to get you home.

Sure your only joking: to rouse crowd support at a researcher's expense. It really can make or take humor with the best of them. I just fail to find the purpose of comments like yours. What's the point? To dissuade reference pieces than explain the hows and why of the JL works for those who find, or might find it useful down the road?

Go research some complicated aspect of the JL we don't know Matt. Try to clearly explain it in 2 sentences. Get pooped on for doing so because you were unclear. Then spell it out and get pooped on for being too wordy.

If I get bird crapped on either way, I'm going to do it my way: be thourough.

Sorry, not sorry.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, thanks! Great info here. I appreciate the effort and thought that went into your post.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Reading this post prepared me for bedtime. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Sorry, the long droning posts put me to sleep. :crying:. Dont be sad, just be clear, and concise.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Question for folks:

I know that there is a dual battery option from genesis. But, is there an Aux battery relocation kit anywhere? Something that would move the aux battery from it’s buried location to a more accessible place? That way you could get to it quickly without removing a bunch of bolts and your fuse box. Anything out there? Anyone done it?

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I too, even as its author, would rather be in the middle of a delicious snack than read this.

It's the desert with 1 "s" though that will, so aptly commented on by another, not me https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...k-to-crank-your-3-6l.34067/page-2#post-773886 likely find you unappreciative ass remembering this article and reading it with a fine tooth comb if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with access to little more than a booster to get you home.

Sure your only joking: to rouse crowd support at a researcher's expense. It really can make or take humor with the best of them. I just fail to find the purpose of comments like yours. What's the point? To dissuade reference pieces than explain the hows and why of the JL works for those who find, or might find it useful down the road?

Go research some complicated aspect of the JL we don't know Matt. Try to clearly explain it in 2 sentences. Get pooped on for doing so because you were unclear. Then spell it out and get pooped on for being too wordy.

Sorry, not sorry.[/QUOTE

Sorry, not sorry.
Don't go English teacher on me. If you want to compare education levels on this forum I am happy to post my MBA education achievements compared to your HS bullshit. Read your post: "It" really can make ...... It should read "I" ....... and not IT so proof read your long winded responses before you criticize a fellow member. And by the way I m not responding to your BS again.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Reading this post prepared me for bedtime. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! Sorry, the long droning posts put me to sleep. :crying:. Dont be sad, just be clear, and concise.
Hopefully, you didn't read that while you were shaving your back!

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I notice you left out thorough. That requires words when dealing with complex issues. Again, sorry, not sorry.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The only time I correct people's spelling on this forum is if they're doing so in the process of conducting themselves poorly, like you, or such spelling truly lies at a potential misunderstanding of the heart of what the poster was trying to say or ask.

As long as I understand what they're saying, and I did you, just as you me--and they're not being a douche, it's irrelevant.

To point such stuff out for the mere point of doing only that would be an example of the very douchyness that you're conducting yourself with.

You miss this point as you bring education levels and intellect into the mix. This isn't about knowledge or the ability to apply it, it's about manners. Ironically, for all your so called education you seem to miss that.

Tons of posts don't interest tons of people on the forum. Tons of us just click "next" rather than comment on it--unless the criticism is purposeful, like critique of fact, or suggestions for ways of improving things for the masses.

One more thing. I can take it just fine. I don't because on don't want the next poster, who may have something good to say, but is hesitant to do so because they lack my calloused skin, remaining silent. That makes for a worse forum that people like you catalyze.

Several really knowledgable people don't post here anymore because of this "no good deed goes unpunished" attitude of the few.

Matt, go research some JL topic new to us. Educate us. I won't crap on you if it involves subject matter not on my radar.

Haters: why not pretend on forums that you're having a face to face conversation with a large bouncer whose ideas you must disagree with and need to use diplomacy with rather than using anonymity to be a douche or like the posts of the next hater @UKCATS after you've been served. That's weak.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
What is your purpose? What value do you add by expressing your sentiments here?

I write to educate, let people know what they can do in a bind, not to here myself talk, not for praise, but certainly not for criticism either (except on factual content.)

The complete, relatively easy to understand explanation takes words @UKCATS; words you're free to not read. The point is someone might find this useful: either today or in search at some point.

Why don't you take the time to learn some new aspect of the JL many of us don't know about and explain it--just as a service to the board, and then let unappreciative asses like you piss on it.

Sound good?
Hey you don't have to explain yourself. It was a well structured article.

His post just quickly identifies who frankly just don't know how to read more than 1 sentence without getting tired.
Sponsored