Sponsored

Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant!

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Could be a Rubicon that simply hasn't had its rock rails attached yet. The real rock rails could be an even bigger surprise, and more care is being taken to hide them?

Are we sure that this picture is of a fully 100% completed JL, ready to ship out?
Rubicon wouldn't be caught dead with those tires on. Look at all that space too, I bet these can ride 33" maybe 34" tires easy with no mods.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I remember when the first pictures of the new Cherokee leaked. It was a Trailhawk (wheels, tires, bumpers) but strangely had chrome trim around windows/roof rails and a non Trailhawk grill. My guess is that this is a mismatch of parts (likely a rubicon hood) on a JLU Sport.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Mirrors looking a little hefty, and cheap plasticy. Other than that, I'm happy to see some skin finally! The windshield rests on the hood look p neat.
Hope they offer a generous chrome package including Mirrors, gas cap, door handles, wheels, and interior trim all in chrome.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
It's amazing how close the body lines look to the rendition

Sponsored

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
Fender Comparison to 2017 model.

Capture.JPG

new-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-wrangler1-jpg.jpg
Much more wheel clearance it looks like.

Also notice the new foldable windshield compared to the JK.

Capture.JPG

Untitled.png
The hinge placed much lower which should hopefully fold much flatter (safer?) and more robust looking hood bumper too. Good stuff. I'm liking everything I see so far!

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Rubicon wouldn't be caught dead with those tires on. Look at all that space too, I bet these can ride 33" maybe 34" tires easy with no mods.
Again, I am not as sure as you that this is a finished, shippable, JL, as oppose to one simply made of "spare" parts. I mean, what if you had to assemble a Rubicon, but the new wheels weren't ready yet?

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
The hinge placed much lower which should hopefully fold much flatter (safer?) and more robust looking hood bumper too. Good stuff. I'm liking everything I see so far!
I thought the leading theory is that the for the JL windshield, the glass folds down, but not the A-pillars?

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I do not know if he was folding in a manual way or not?

150282324717281.jpg

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I thought the leading theory is that the for the JL windshield, the glass folds down, but not the A-pillars?
I think that is just the outside covering of the A pillar. The actual support "halo" will still remain upright.
2018-jeep-wrangler-interior-rubicon-7-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
What makes you think it's Sport? I would bet the hood is only on Rubicon just like it is now. This must be some kind of pilot build still unless they are no longer marking the trims on the side of the hood. It's also missing any rock rails/side step.
My guess is this is a Sport. I was at the plant for a tour. The one I saw had painted fenders and the side steps like the JKU Sahara.

Last edited:

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
My guess is this is a Sport. I was at the plant for a tour. I saw a Red and Gray JL. They both had painted fenders and the side steps like the JKU Sahara.
They just had the JL in plain view on a tour? I thought the JL prototypes were being built in a private section of the plant. Did you see anything else interesting?

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
My guess is this is a Sport. I was at the plant for a tour. I saw a Red and Gray JL. They both had painted fenders and the side steps like the JKU Sahara.

So at least the 2 door will look kinda like a Sahara now.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
new-2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-wrangler1-jpg.jpg

Based on where the door hinges are placed below the character line half doors are probably still a factory option.

Also with the fender vent "grille" looks like they accounted for the question many of us had about protecting from rocks and other debris. Not that it will completely prevent that.
Sponsored