Sponsored

Besttop Sunrider for Jeep JL Hardtop, Discussion?

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I thought this way too Andrew. Floridians on the bboard sold me on the driving in the opposite direction of a thunderstorm's travel experience, where the time between seeing headlights in opposing traffic and torrential rain could be very, very quick. With the Sunrider product you can "close the hatch" quicker, and without having to pull over usually. : - )
Good point, I'm in NY. The $700 is better spent somewhere else, I'll pull over and put the freedom panels back on.
Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
If you have a large roof rack (I have a Rhino Rack backbone), then you will not be able to install the Sunrider.
I didn't have to measure anything. The Sunrider flips open to the back of the Freedom Top opening.
I have no idea how big the Rhino Rack is. Hope this is helpful to you or someone else.
20190723_185615.jpg

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
I really wanted to get the Sunrider for the convenience others have written about here. BUT, I intend to take my full hardtop on and off quite frequently (Thanks TopLiftPros), and once you put that Besttop Sunrider on, you can no longer remove the whole hardtop without completely uninstalling the sunrider. So it was out for me... I'm not giving up the ability to go full topless.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I really wanted to get the Sunrider for the convenience others have written about here. BUT, I intend to take my full hardtop on and off quite frequently (Thanks TopLiftPros), and once you put that Besttop Sunrider on, you can no longer remove the whole hardtop without completely uninstalling the sunrider. So it was out for me... I'm not giving up the ability to go full topless.
You live in a steady climate?

Up here in Nh I'm running the soft top for the summer and then putting the hard top back on and running the sunrider in the colder months

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I have 2 sunriders for both of my Jeeps and I only undo the 2 rear bolts, remove HT and ride for days with Sunrider and no HT.

I do have the full JTOPS on both as well and this combo allows me to use the sunrider anytime I feel like it and the JTOPS provide some sun protection but really shines in helping the sunrider when open from wind buffeting and noise reduction.

With the Sunrider closed and HT on plus the JTOPS noise level is even with the Freedom panels in.

Best Hybrid combo out there for me.

Sponsored

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
I have 2 sunriders for both of my Jeeps and I only undo the 2 rear bolts, remove HT and ride for days with Sunrider and no HT.
Wow, I did not know that was possible. I even asked the Besttop people directly about the ability to remove the hard top and they said simply "no, you'd have to remove the whole Sunrider first." Are you sure what you're doing is safe to do? Wondering why Besttop doesn't state that's an option. Maybe it's safe at low speed but ill-advised by them at higher speeds so they can't recommend it?

Would be great, if you have a chance, to take a pic. of the bolts you're talking about and of the besttop in position without the hard top?
Thanks!

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I am thinking about buying the Sunrider for Hardtop for the JL and have a question.

I currently have the GPCA grab handles in the front. Will there be room for this under the mounting rails on each side?

If not, are there any other grab handles that fit?

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I am thinking about buying the Sunrider for Hardtop for the JL and have a question.

I currently have the GPCA grab handles in the front. Will there be room for this under the mounting rails on each side?

If not, are there any other grab handles that fit?
should work I have the mopar handles and they work fine, I had some others with wrap around velcro bands and they worked too

treadmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR & 2017 VW Golf R
Occupation
Manager
I installed the twill version of the Sunrider on my JLUR today. Here are my initial thoughts:
  • The fit and finish are excellent.
  • When closed, you can quickly feel heat build from the sun hitting it. It makes you appreciate the effectiveness of the insulation the freedom tops provide.
  • It’s very easy and quick to operate.
  • The wind noise is surprisingly not much greater than with the freedom tops, but as others have mentioned, you do hear outside sounds a bit more.
  • When I first mounted it, the rear portion would not sit properly when closed. I loosened up the side rails, jiggled them a bit, and retightened them. It fixed the problem, although I’m still not clear what was initially wrong.
Overall, I love the Sunrider. It’s much more convenient for an instantaneous open air feel, while still maintaining most of the advantages of the hardtop. In my previous JK, I had the dual tops and find this option as a great blend of the two.

Smooth9883

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU & 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
Question for everyone who has installed the sunrider, has the installation stopped the buffeting sound the hard top with freedom panels create?

Sponsored

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
How hard is it to swap the Sunrider out and go back to the Freedom panels? I would want to go back to the freedom panels for the winter and rainy spring season, the keep the Sunrider on for the summer and fall.

Is it easy to swap back and forth for the freedom panels?

I test drove a JL with the Sunrider and it was awesome.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
How hard is it to swap the Sunrider out and go back to the Freedom panels? I would want to go back to the freedom panels for the winter and rainy spring season, the keep the Sunrider on for the summer and fall.

6 bolts.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I thought this way too Andrew. Floridians on the bboard sold me on the driving in the opposite direction of a thunderstorm's travel experience, where the time between seeing headlights in opposing traffic and torrential rain could be very, very quick. With the Sunrider product you can "close the hatch" quicker, and without having to pull over usually. : - )
I agree 100%. panels are easy if you have the time, but I can open and close the Sunrider in less than 5 seconds without leaving the Jeep, which means mine is open all of the time until the temps get below 32 or above 90 degrees. Also in bumper to bumper traffic and a shower happens I can close it and not have to pull over and get wet while trying to put on the panels. And no matter how careful you are you will eventually nick or scratch your panels removing and replacing them often...

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon

I have the twill and have just left it on year round since installing it last year. (I live in Ohio, in case that is not in my profile.) Tons of people leave soft tops on all year, and I like to take advantage of the warm days whenever they crop up.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
For me the freedom panels weren't hard to move, just hard to store (especially when on vacation). Since the JL is our primary adventure vehicle the Sunrider for HT solved the biggest problem, where to put the freedom panels when the back is loaded up. It's arguably the most used and appreciated upgrade we've done to our Jeep!

IMG_1207.JPG
Sponsored