Sponsored

Normal driving for a lifted JL on 37" tires or not? Would appreciate some input.

Ski

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon unlimited, 2009 Nissan Maxima
Okay Guys and Gals. I am completely new to the Jeep world as well as driving a vehicle with a lift kit and larger mud tires. I recently purchased a 2019 JL Rubicon unlimited, had a Mopar 2" lift installed by the dealership and put 37" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros (37 X 13.50 X R17) on it. Let me try to describe what I feel when driving the Jeep. It feels as if you really have to pay attention and actually work to keep the Jeep in your lane. I am not experiencing anything like some of the issues others have described with the death wobble and things like that. It just seems like you have to have constant driver input to maintain the vehicle in your lane, especially the faster the vehicle goes. I just want to know if this is normal and expected behavior when driving a lifted vehicle on mud type tires. I know it is a completely different vehicle than most others on the road, I just want to make sure it is normal to feel this type of driving behavior so I don't overlook something that could be wrong with the Jeep and just blow it off as that is what a vehicle like this probably feels like when driving it. Sorry for what some may think is a stupid question, I just have never experienced anything like this before and want to know it is normal for this kind of set-up. Thank you in advance for your input, it is appreciated.

Ski
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Did you drive it before? Sounds like the problematic wandering common on many JL's

Unfortunately with no baseline it's difficult to know if your mods and tires are to blame

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I agree with the above post. Wranglers constantly require some driver input in regard to steering while driving. Large MT tires will increase this requirement.

However, your caster could be low due to the lift. This will cause the jeep to wander much more. Do you have your alignment numbers?

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
I'll echo the above. Check caster angle, you shouldn't be as fatigued as you are monitoring driver input to keep it in check. I DD mine with 37s and I can one hand carefree drive at 80 on the highway with no regard for "shit, will it wander or not?". I'd check caster AND have someone recheck and torque down all lift bolts. I had a similar experience to you until @rustyshackleford helped me retorque everything down and my issues disappeared.

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
I have a 3.5" lift on 37's. It does take more input than stock IMO. Just seems more touchy. Perhaps experiment with tire pressures. I know that makes a difference. I run 30PSI cold on mine.

Sponsored

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
I have a 3.5" lift on 37's. It does take more input than stock IMO. Just seems more touchy. Perhaps experiment with tire pressures. I know that makes a difference. I run 30PSI cold on mine.
What tires? I have 3.75 lift and 37 inch Milestar Patagonias. I have zero issue with ride, but was surprised to find that running 29 psi was better than the 25 I started with a few weeks ago. Northridge4x4 actually suggested 32, which I thought was nutty at first, but clearly that seems to be right. You seem to be doing about the same.

Notasuv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
37's on dealer installed mopar lift..was a terror to drive when i first got it so I brought it back......was still unruly so I took out a lot of air out of the tires down to 30 psi cold and it was a day/night difference for me...can run 80-90 mph now without a wiggle..tracks straight as a arrow..pleasure to drive

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
What tires? I have 3.75 lift and 37 inch Milestar Patagonias. I have zero issue with ride, but was surprised to find that running 29 psi was better than the 25 I started with a few weeks ago. Northridge4x4 actually suggested 32, which I thought was nutty at first, but clearly that seems to be right. You seem to be doing about the same.
Metalcloak lift And Milestar's. Im not saying its hard to drive or wonders but it does seem different. More touchy. Hard to describe.

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
Metalcloak lift And Milestar's. Im not saying its hard to drive or wonders but it does seem different. More touchy. Hard to describe.
I'm blown away how much mine drives like stock, but I agree, a tad more touchy. I'm just using air pressure now to find the sweet spot.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Okay Guys and Gals. I am completely new to the Jeep world as well as driving a vehicle with a lift kit and larger mud tires. I recently purchased a 2019 JL Rubicon unlimited, had a Mopar 2" lift installed by the dealership and put 37" Cooper Discoverer STT Pros (37 X 13.50 X R17) on it. Let me try to describe what I feel when driving the Jeep. It feels as if you really have to pay attention and actually work to keep the Jeep in your lane. I am not experiencing anything like some of the issues others have described with the death wobble and things like that. It just seems like you have to have constant driver input to maintain the vehicle in your lane, especially the faster the vehicle goes. I just want to know if this is normal and expected behavior when driving a lifted vehicle on mud type tires. I know it is a completely different vehicle than most others on the road, I just want to make sure it is normal to feel this type of driving behavior so I don't overlook something that could be wrong with the Jeep and just blow it off as that is what a vehicle like this probably feels like when driving it. Sorry for what some may think is a stupid question, I just have never experienced anything like this before and want to know it is normal for this kind of set-up. Thank you in advance for your input, it is appreciated.

Ski
Hello Ski. Not a stupid question at all. Like others have posted, a lift and 37" tires are going to drive differently than stock. Check your air pressure ASAP! 28-32 psi seems to be the sweet spot to experiment with.

I would go back to the dealer and drive a stock JLRU. Of course it will feel a little different, but you may get an understanding if your steering is really screwed up like some others have posted.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Same setup same experience no matter what the absolute least must upgrade steering damper. Myself I'm doing the full Synergy steering setup. The OEM steering damper was never intended for 35's let alone 37s and will only become worse. That's why I'm getting ahead of the disaster which is inevitable and will occur later.
Sponsored