Sponsored

Besttop Sunrider for Jeep JL Hardtop, Discussion?

k1hog

First Name
Johnnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
As this top becomes available, Bestop Sunrider for Jeep JL Hardtop.

I only a few weeks ago departed my 2006 Jeep TJ, I loved the Jeep. DW and I made a 4000 mile trip in late May, it was a great trip and very fun in the Jeep, however the noise from the soft top was unrelenting. On the trip we decided to buy a new Jeep with the freedom hard top, As you know the freedom top panels are bulky and finding a place to store them while we are away from home is an issue. Now Bestop is coming out with the Sunrider top to replace the freedom panels.

As folks get the Sunrider I would like to have your opinions on the top, it looks good and easy to open the hardtop to the sky, however I can not deal with the noise.

Let us hear from you.

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
As this top becomes available, Besttop Sunrider for Jeep JL Hardtop.

I only a few weeks ago departed my 2006 Jeep TJ, I loved the Jeep. DW and I made a 4000 mile trip in late May, it was a great trip and very fun in the Jeep, however the noise from the soft top was unrelenting. On the trip we decided to buy a new Jeep with the freedom hard top, As you know the freedom top panels are bulky and finding a place to store them while we are away from home is an issue. Now Besttop is coming out with the Sunrider top to replace the freedom panels.

As folks get the Sunrider I would like to have your opinions on the top, it looks good and easy to open the hardtop to the sky, however I can not deal with the noise.

Let us hear from you.

Thanks

b
My wife and I love the one on her JL. She got the premium twill version. I don't think there is much increase in wind noise, but what you'll notice is that other sounds come through it, especially on the highway. For example, when you drive past a semi, the engine noise is a lot louder than it is with the freedom panels installed. However, the minor increase in noise is a very small price to pay for the huge convenience of being able to flip open or close the top on a whim while sitting in traffic, without ever having to leave the driver's seat, plus you don't give up any cargo space. If I hadn't bought my jeep with a soft top, I absolutely would have ordered a second one for mine.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
IMO the noise is perfectly reasonable. My wife and I have no problem having a conversation with the top closed.

The biggest issue I have with the Sunrider is that @BestopTeam is dragging their asses in releasing the retractable sun screen. Beyond that, I fully endorse it.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The only thing I'll add--and I love my Sunrider product--as that at highway speeds it was hard for me to have a conversation with my wife.

(Cue the jokes about this being a feature.)

Anyway, I made my own mesh top from material at Harbor Freight along with one of their grommet kits. Subsequent to this noise experience I also bought a small moving blanket there, cut it to a size that covers the front passenger area plus 4" on all sides, folded all sides at 2" from the end and put some of the remaining grommets from the kit in the blanket edges--just like the mesh top.

I attached the moving blanket, just like the mesh shield, with ball bungees: also available at the store.

The moving blanket connects below the mesh top and is easily removable (in front). It drowns out noise enough to hold a conversation at high speeds and is easily dropped down from the front bungees balls' release, where after I place the blanket behind the front seats when I want the open air feel consistent with the Sunrider product being open. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Correction: I actually put the moving blanket above the mesh top and attach it in front not to the windshield but the Sunrider's latches. I forgot.

This way when the Sunrider product opens, so does the previously mentioned moving blanket noise barrier.

Last edited:

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Had one on the JK, loved it.
Have one on the JL, love it.
Both premium twill models.
No leaks.
I never notice the noise difference. But we've had 5 Jeeps so noise is expected and ignored.
With the top open it's like any other convertible.
Take the panels out, store them until the snow and freezing rain arrives.
Until then just enjoy.

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
Love mine best mod yet !!!!!

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Best thing ever!

20181209_122447-jpg.jpg

Honestly thought about skipping the summer soft top because of this little gem. SO nice to be able to flip it open and closed and not deal with the freedom tops. I think it's the best of both worlds with hard tops and soft tops...

It's not as quiet as the freedom panels with hothead headliner, but it's not much louder either. You will be able to talk to passengers and even make phone calls with it closed, though it will be rough if you are going over 70 and there is a good cross breeze.

Highly recommended. :like:

Rla1022

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Moab
I had one on my old JK. I would say that the noise really depends where you live and how windy it is. It was awful driving down the Dallas North Tollway. It was very loud depending on the direction of the wind. Other that that when driving solo it was great.

Sponsored

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
had it on the Jeep we rented for a week in Moab, loved it! It pretty much convinced me to eventually order a hard top for my future Jeep, as I prefer the easy rear access for loading dog and stuff. And in the front seat at least, there's no difference to the soft top, rear of course doesn't get the same open air experience, but I never sit in the rear of my cars. And for most of the summer I'll probably not have any top on it, maybe a sun screen.
So easy to open and close, I didn't find it very noisy when closed but can't compare it to other tops. There was a bit of wind noise, but nothing bad. Even open we could easily talk going 75+.

Get it, try it, I'm sure if you don't like it you can easily sell it with little loss. To me it was an immediate 'must have'.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
For Dual top owners you've got to love how it gets you into convertible mode during Spring and Fall months (for us Northeast and other 4 season people) when you've probably not yet put on your soft top in early Spring, or retired your soft top for the hard one post Labor Day.

And the ability to open and close it without getting out of the rig can be key for those of us who are driving into thunderstorms on the highway. First you see the headlights of opposing traffic on, a second later rain drops start appearing on the windshield, and a second later the heavens open up.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
If you have a large roof rack (I have a Rhino Rack backbone), then you will not be able to install the Sunrider.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a waste of money to me, especially how easy the freedom panels come off compared to the JK's. I'll spend the money elsewhere on the Jeep.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Seems like a waste of money to me, especially how easy the freedom panels come off compared to the JK's. I'll spend the money elsewhere on the Jeep.
I thought this way too Andrew. Floridians on the bboard sold me on the driving in the opposite direction of a thunderstorm's travel experience, where the time between seeing headlights in opposing traffic and torrential rain could be very, very quick. With the Sunrider product you can "close the hatch" quicker, and without having to pull over usually. : - )
Sponsored