Where to put my 4 Door hardtop in college

Burandtman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I will be attending college in La for the first time and want to take advantage of the weather. I need to find a solution to getting my top off while I am there. I have no garage and I can store my doors in my living quarters. Any ideas about where to put the hardtop?
Sponsored

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I will be attending college in La for the first time and want to take advantage of the weather. I need to find a solution to getting my top off while I am there. I have no garage and I can store my doors in my living quarters. Any ideas about where to put the hardtop?
Take it up to your room, turn it upside down, and put your mattress in it??? :)

Seriously, maybe switch to a soft top before you go to LA?

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
A little confused - Louisiana, or Los Angeles? If it's Los Angeles ("LA" for this post), there are a hundred or more storage businesses throughout the LA area - you can rent one small enough so that you have to put the hardtop in on it's end - just be sure to get some packing blankets to sit it on so it doesn't get scratched up or worse. I am former storage facility owner - we had 8 x 5 units that the top would've fit in just fine, and they were the least expensive to rent. Keep in mind that you aren't likely to have to access the top very often, so the storage unit doesn't need to be around the corner from your college. Find a facility on the outskirts of the area, and you'll pay a lower rent.
Although I gotta love the post to put it in your room upside-down and put some foam and/or mattress in it for a unique bed...
Or befriend someone on this forum who lives in the area and will let you put that top in their garage out of the kindness of their heart...

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just chain it up to the bike rack or lamp post just outside of the dorm.:like:

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
I don't understand why this is even a question. What other possible solution would there be BESIDES a storage unit? This is the entire purpose of storage units and I'm quite certain the OP was aware of this.

Cmcclaflin31

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Yj Wrangler, 18 JLUS, 82 J10 Pickup
Occupation
Ford Tech
Just put it in the parking spot next to you can't ticket a hardtop if it doesn't have plates

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I don't understand why this is even a question. What other possible solution would there be BESIDES a storage unit? This is the entire purpose of storage units and I'm quite certain the OP was aware of this.
Maybe the guy has heard about the great brotherhood of Jeep owners, and thought he might scare up someone who lives in the area who would let him store his top at their garage, but just didn't want to come out and ask? Heck, I rent various storage units in different areas for different reasons, and if he wanted to kick me down a few bucks every month, I might let him store it in one of mine - but I don't have any in LA... What's the worst that can happen asking?

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
If your talking about LA California, simple, don't go. You'll come out dumber.

If your talking Lousiana, leave the hard top on, it will help drown out the rammer jammer chant when Bama comes knocking.

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
Maybe the guy has heard about the great brotherhood of Jeep owners, and thought he might scare up someone who lives in the area who would let him store his top at their garage, but just didn't want to come out and ask? Heck, I rent various storage units in different areas for different reasons, and if he wanted to kick me down a few bucks every month, I might let him store it in one of mine - but I don't have any in LA... What's the worst that can happen asking?
"Hello fellow Jeep owners! I'm about to embark on the great journey known as College and was wondering if someone in the LA area had a place I could store my hard top. I'd like to take advantage of the Jeep in the sunny CA, but can't without a place to store my hard top. I know no one rides for free and would certainly pay for such storage. And have seen these mysterious buildings known as "Storage Units", but was hoping to have something a bit safer. Thanks Jeep Brothers and Sisters!"

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Expect your freedom panels to be used as beer pong tables.

You should consider a storage unit for the top, doors, and panels.