Sponsored

Cleaning and maintaining offroad tires

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
So I'll start by saying I've detailed a lot of cars and do it on the side for extra money. I've got a decent bit of experience and knowledge and wanted to share this since I see a lot of people struggle cleaning up mud tires.

These tires are the stock Rubicon at tires and they're about 4 months old. I've had them our for a bit of rock crawling once on muddy trails and muddy backroads several times.
20181229_103353.jpg
20181229_102946.jpg

Today I decided I'd put a tire coating on them and get them cleaned up. I've used this tire coating several times and it will last anywhere from 3 to 6 months on normal vehicles. It doesnt sling or make the tire greasy either. Good prep work is the key to making it last.

To start I clean the wheels with your wheel cleaner of choice today was some chemical guys wheel cleaner I'm trying to finish off.

Next spray the tire with a rubber cleaner and agitate it with a tire brush and simply wash it off. Let the tires fully dry.

Cleaned and ready to be coated
SmartSelect_20190514-210310_Gallery.jpg

Lastly I use the applicator in the picture to apply the tire coating to the outer sidewall area. 4 to 5 drops on the end of the brush and work it into a small area refresh the product and keep applying until you've covered the tire. 1 coat gives a satin like finish. You can apply a second coat in 30 mins or so for a wetter look.

Here is a pic of the products used
Left to right wheel cleaner, applicator, Mckees37 tire coating, Griots rubber cleaner.
20190514_192326.jpg

Here is the spare tire that has never had anything but soap and water for reference.
20190514_192448.jpg

Here is the back tire done and the front tire is cleaned and prepped but not coated.
20190514_190633.jpg

Here are some pics of the finished product. I plan to update this post to see how it holds up.

20190514_190712.jpg
20190514_192412.jpg
20190514_192433.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
bumpit

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup I'll edit that. You only coat the sidewall.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Excellent post @bumpit. Thanks. Semi permanent tire dressing is the way to go for regular street driven vehicles. I’d like to know how well it holds up to off-road use over time so I’m looking forward to your long term follow up. I’ve used Tuf Shine which is a similar product and had it last up to 4 months or so.

Sponsored

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
So I'll start by saying I've detailed a lot of cars and do it on the side for extra money. I've got a decent bit of experience and knowledge and wanted to share this since I see a lot of people struggle cleaning up mud tires.

These tires are the stock Rubicon at tires and they're about 4 months old. I've had them our for a bit of rock crawling once on muddy trails and muddy backroads several times.
20181229_103353.jpg
20181229_102946.jpg

Today I decided I'd put a tire coating on them and get them cleaned up. I've used this tire coating several times and it will last anywhere from 3 to 6 months on normal vehicles. It doesnt sling or make the tire greasy either. Good prep work is the key to making it last.

To start I clean the wheels with your wheel cleaner of choice today was some chemical guys wheel cleaner I'm trying to finish off.

Next spray the tire with a rubber cleaner and agitate it with a tire brush and simply wash it off. Let the tires fully dry.

Cleaned and ready to be coated
SmartSelect_20190514-210310_Gallery.jpg

Lastly I use the applicator in the picture to apply the tire coating to the outer sidewall area. 4 to 5 drops on the end of the brush and work it into a small area refresh the product and keep applying until you've covered the tire. 1 coat gives a satin like finish. You can apply a second coat in 30 mins or so for a wetter look.

Here is a pic of the products used
Left to right wheel cleaner, applicator, Mckees37 tire coating, Griots rubber cleaner.
20190514_192326.jpg

Here is the spare tire that has never had anything but soap and water for reference.
20190514_192448.jpg

Here is the back tire done and the front tire is cleaned and prepped but not coated.
20190514_190633.jpg

Here are some pics of the finished product. I plan to update this post to see how it holds up.

20190514_190712.jpg
20190514_192412.jpg
20190514_192433.jpg
Looks great. I have a 2019 JLUR same color, Ocean Blue Metallic CC. How is your paint holding up to rock chips, scratches, etc... I just ordered the Roam Frame Mounted Rock Rails to stop most rocks, mud, snow, ice melt, etc from killing my paint and paimted fenders. I may even spend some $ and do the XPEL clear mask to the whole front grill, fenders, LED Lights, hood and window A pillars to keep the paint longer. I will be trying these tire products you posted. I saw another one you did about detailing so keep them going. We are watching. Thanks, Mike

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I polish mine with the tears of H2 or H3 drivers. I don't mess with H1 drivers, they have enough money to have bodyguards.
I would do the same, but there are very few H2 or H3 drivers in my area. Therefore, I use a hybrid mixture of Ford 150 off road drivers tears, and Toyota Prius drivers tears. I don't get the longevity, but in my area, the 150 and Prius drivers are as plentiful as Walmart, McDonalds and Dollar Generals.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I know we all hear about "303 Protectant" ..the stuff is amazing for numerous applications. I tried it on my tires any was extremely happy with the outcome. Dark black with little "sheen"...not even close to a "wet look"... Just wiped in on with a foam applicator, and wiped off the excess.
Have washed the Jeep several (4-5) times , just rinsed the wheels with the hose, still look good.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Lookin good - I appreciate a clean and detail look. As a professional, any tips for removing tire shine foam that "sealed" the driveway in streaks so my driveway looks crazy whenever it rains?

Sponsored

OP
OP
bumpit

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lookin good - I appreciate a clean and detail look. As a professional, any tips for removing tire shine foam that "sealed" the driveway in streaks so my driveway looks crazy whenever it rains?
Have you pressure washed it? Any apc cleaner and a pressure washer I'd imagine would get it. You could try a degreaser also.

am I the only guy who who picks out all the little pebbles and rocks from the narrow sipes in AT tires? it's ok, you can be honest.
I do from time to time. The bfg k02 are horrible about throwing rocks.

OP
OP
bumpit

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a little over 2 months. I've washed the jeep three times since applying the tire coating but I've not washed the wheels or tires at all. I've been on gravel or dirt roads several times and some longer road trips. It's been about 2,000 miles since I put it on. No wheeling sadly.

I can def tell there is still some of the coating left but its worn a lot faster than other vehicle I've ive put it on. My guess is that it's a 2-3 month life depending on how much it gets off pavement.

20190722_164617.jpg

OP
OP
bumpit

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great. I have a 2019 JLUR same color, Ocean Blue Metallic CC. How is your paint holding up to rock chips, scratches, etc... I just ordered the Roam Frame Mounted Rock Rails to stop most rocks, mud, snow, ice melt, etc from killing my paint and paimted fenders. I may even spend some $ and do the XPEL clear mask to the whole front grill, fenders, LED Lights, hood and window A pillars to keep the paint longer. I will be trying these tire products you posted. I saw another one you did about detailing so keep them going. We are watching. Thanks, Mike
I've noticed some scratches on the fenders. I've also got some paint defects from the factory thankfully not in visible spots. Overall I'd say it's ok. The paint has some orange peel and it's not perfect by any means but its ok.

I'm going to either expel the rear flares or coat them with gtechniq to protect them a bit from rocks.

I'll likely buff the jeep and put a coating on it sometime this fall. I'll buff the fenders before I put expel on tho.

Part of me is thinking I should have got black fenders and top now just for the low maintenance lol.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I use Optimum Power Clean for the tires and Sonax or Adams for the wheel cleaner.
Sponsored