Sponsored

Dual Ham Radios Install w/ Pics

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I made a thread when I installed my Kenwood TM-V71a which can be found here, https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ham-radio-install-w-pics.9490/.

I wanted to install an HF rig as well, and I recently purchased the Yaesu FT-891 along with the Yaesu ATAS-120a. I'm still considering multiple locations for the antenna for 2 reasons. The first is because the Comet trunk/lid UHF mount I bought for it does not fit the tailgate of the JL. The JL tailgate is too thick, and secondly because I want to ensure I get the best ground plan possible since the antenna is definitely a comprise and MUST be grounded well to function properly (so I've read).

I actually used the MORE dual-ARB compressor mount for the body of the radio. It works perfectly. I just drilled 4 holes that lined up with the body mount for the FT-891 and the rest was cake. The mount is awesome, and very simple to install in case you're wondering about it for the twin-compressors or a ham radio.

I routed the microphone so far, basically exactly how I did the routing for the detachable face for the TM-V71a as you can see from my other thread. The wires actually run side by side and the mic for the FT-891 is mounted exactly opposite of the TM-V71a mic you can see in the other thread. The mic cable is routed behind the carpet starting right behind the body of the radio, under the rear seats' carpet to the passenger side and then under the passenger seat's carpet and up between the passenger seat and the center console.I didn't take any pics of the mic this evening but I'll take some when I finished the install for the rig runner I'm installing to distribute power, and finally the antenna.

T6B9nca.jpg

IR8qIRU.jpg
Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I'm watching this to see what ideas come up. I have an ICOM 706 that I'm thinking of adding too and have similar questions.

OP
OP
safety_glasses

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm watching this to see what ideas come up. I have an ICOM 706 that I'm thinking of adding too and have similar questions.
Thanks for the comment. I hadn't posted any updated because I didn't think there was any interest based on the lack of replies/likes.

I've mounted the rig, ran power (temporarily for now, the rig runner isn't permanently mounted yet), and ran the remote face and mic wires.

Right now the detachable face wire is running from the rig, under the driver side door sill and up in between the console and driver's seat. It's attached to the seat belt buckle with a zip tie to keep it in place. I don't have the face permanently mounted and I may just leave it in the console until I operate.
GaTJiS3.jpg

9GNPcMh.jpg

The mic is attached to the console just like the dual-band mic

DhwNkAg.jpg

Still trying to find the best place to mount the ATAS-120A. I'll likely have a custom mount built at work and then add my 259 adapter to it.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
what are you going to do for an antenna?
I had the 706 in my TJ a long time ago and used a 102 inch CB whip with a LDG tuner that worked well. But I don't want to put that antenna back on this JL.

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Also want to hear how you mounted the ATAS-120A antenna. I just completed the install of my Yaesu FT-891 under the rear passenger seat. Ran an RG223 coax cable through the drain hole by the passenger post and sealed it with some RTV. Ran the head unit to my dash. Looking at possibly using a license plate antenna mount for the antenna. What did you do?

Sponsored

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Also want to hear how you mounted the ATAS-120A antenna. I just completed the install of my Yaesu FT-891 under the rear passenger seat. Ran an RG223 coax cable through the drain hole by the passenger post and sealed it with some RTV. Ran the head unit to my dash. Looking at possibly using a license plate antenna mount for the antenna. What did you do?
How did you mount it under the rear passenger seat? Any pictures you could share? Thanks.

Jeepers333

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
How did you mount it under the rear passenger seat? Any pictures you could share? Thanks.
I just put hook Velcro on the bottom. There easn't enough clearance when the rear passenger seat is lowered to do anything else. Seems to work well (unless I become inverted).
Sponsored