Sponsored

Does the Gladiator seem just 'meh' to anyone else?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Of note with the price, there will be some overlap with a fully loaded Gladiator and a not so fully loaded Ram 1500. I'm pretty sure its the same with a loaded Tacoma TRD pro and a Tundra SR5. Eventually the MSRP of the Full size truck will surpass that of the midsize by a long shot when you go into the high trims.
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Saw one sitting out in front of the local Dodge dealer yesterday. Didn't really give it much of a look as I find it uninspiring. Thinking about this, FCA is trying to recreate this Jeep "Truck" of the past with a 4 door JLU, and attached bed. If you ask me, It doesn't draw me to the vehicle like the old 80's jeep. I like the look of it much more.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Eventually the MSRP of the Full size truck will surpass that of the midsize by a long shot when you go into the high trims.
The difference is, it is easy to buy a full size truck way below MSRP. I bought a $50k MSRP truck for $38k. I then walked into a Jeep dealership, and found that they wanted $48k for a $50k MSRP vehicle.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The difference is, it is easy to buy a full size truck way below MSRP. I bought a $50k MSRP truck for $38k. I then walked into a Jeep dealership, and found that they wanted $48k for a $50k MSRP vehicle.
It's the same for the dealer I went to. They sell Rams by the truckload so they can offer big discounts. I bought my Jeep for about 2 grand off the MSRP compared to the about 8 or 9 off MSRP I could have gotten off the Ram. If sheer dollar amount off MSRP is what you want then go for it. My trouble is, I wanted the Jeep rather than the least expensive ride I could find. Honestly I could have just held on to the old Ram and fixed the transmission when that old Mercedes 5 speed blew up, would have saved me a lot of money over buying a new Jeep.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Of note with the price, there will be some overlap with a fully loaded Gladiator and a not so fully loaded Ram 1500. I'm pretty sure its the same with a loaded Tacoma TRD pro and a Tundra SR5. Eventually the MSRP of the Full size truck will surpass that of the midsize by a long shot when you go into the high trims.
The RAMs on the lots were Big Horns and they were fully loaded. They were giving rebates and incentives which lowered the cost to around 40K and that was with the 5.7 Hemi.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The RAMs on the lots were Big Horns and they were fully loaded. They were giving rebates and incentives which lowered the cost to around 40K and that was with the 5.7 Hemi.
A Big Horn is not fully loaded. It is one step above Tradesman (Work Truck) trim. If you want fully loaded on a Ram truck (Pushing 70 grand MSRP) look to the Laramie Longhorn and Limited trim levels. Maybe even a Rebel.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
The name is killer. I have not had enough interest to schedule a test drive.
Glad some are enjoying it.

I still wonder why not a single cab version available with the crew...

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
A Big Horn is not fully loaded. It is one step above Tradesman (Work Truck) trim. If you want fully loaded on a Ram truck (Pushing 70 grand MSRP) look to the Laramie Longhorn and Limited trim levels. Maybe even a Rebel.
It's fully loaded to me. When you got all the creature comforts you need like power windows, locks, mirrors, push button 4 wheel drive, and a uconnect system for your phone, it's fully loaded. I grew up in the 80's when they still put crank windows in vehicles as standard equipment, sorry, but in my eyes those big horns they had on the lot were fully loaded. I don't need a truck to wipe my nose, I can do that myself.

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's fully loaded to me. When you got all the creature comforts you need like power windows, locks, mirrors, push button 4 wheel drive, and a uconnect system for your phone, it's fully loaded. I grew up in the 80's when they still put crank windows in vehicles as standard equipment, sorry, but in my eyes those big horns they had on the lot were fully loaded. I don't need a truck to wipe my nose, I can that myself.
Yes its got creature comforts but when you say fully loaded to someone like me, I'm thinking its got every option possible. In the case of the Ram that means a Limited.
I do agree that I can go to a dealer right now, trade in my Sahara on a Big Horn and the dealer will wind up owing me money. If I buy a Limited... that's a different story.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Yes its got creature comforts but when you say fully loaded to someone like me, I'm thinking its got every option possible. In the case of the Ram that means a Limited.
I do agree that I can go to a dealer right now, trade in my Sahara on a Big Horn and the dealer will wind up owing me money. If I buy a Limited... that's a different story.
Just my opinion, but sometimes I think we go too far with options and we get them and end up not using all of them and ended up paying for them. Like I said, and please know I am not trying to pick a fight, but back when I was growing up if your vehicle had power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, a rear defrost, CD player, leather seats, and possibly a rear truck release and a sun roof, it was fully loaded. LOL! :)

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Just my opinion, but sometimes I think we go too far with options and we get them and end up not using all of them and ended up paying for them. Like I said, and please know I am not trying to pick a fight, but back when I was growing up if your vehicle had power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, a rear defrost, CD player, leather seats, and possibly a rear truck release and a sun roof, it was fully loaded. LOL! :)
I think the phrase you are looking for is "well equipped." It implies it is not a basic stripped out model, that lacks amenities that have become common in personal use vehicles.

If you say "fully loaded," to most people, it implies that you cannot get more options, as the vehicle has all the options that the manufacturer offers, regardless of how "necessary" those options are. You may confuse other people if you use a phrase that means one thing to you, but something different to everyone else.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Probably one of the nicest pickup trucks I've ever driven was a Ram Rebel late last year. This thing would have blown my old Ram Big Horn out of the water and it still had thousands of dollars worth of options that weren't on it. Truck shopping can get expensive if you go the luxury route. lol.

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
I like it. Took a close look at several, and really like it. It is goofy, but I am ok with that.

Problem is this, is it better than a JLU? For me, no. I like the fact all my storage is covered from the weather. Jt has a really cool tonneau cover for this, but a really cool cover bos still more of a pain than a jeep back. I also like that if my seats are down, I get a really long covered area. Appreciate the jlu size. Overall, for Me, the JL is just more useful and practical on a day to day basis. Yes, on occasion the bed would be nice but those are few and far between.

If I towed a lot though, or took dirt bikes etc than jt all the way. But, most I tow is probably about 2k pounds.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I was recently parked at the airport and when I returned a Firecracker red Gladiator Rubi was parked next to me. It was slightly lifted with 35's.

It looked REALLY REALLY good.

I think the challenge is from the factory the JTUR doesn't look aggressive enough as the added length subdues what makes the JLUR look aggressive compared to the rest of the JLU line. It needs more lift/tire/etc over what comes from the factory.

302lockedandloaded

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Black
I like the emblem on the back and the back of the bed, that's about it. It looks like an elongated station wagon or limo-truck. Like the body is way too long for how wide the vehicle is. The bed should be a lot shorter in my opinion. It just looks weird...maybe it would look cooler in a 2 door? Idk, but whatever they did, I don't like it.
Sponsored