Sponsored

What are minor things you wish you knew before buying a JLUR?

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
I am highly considering moving from my 2015 4Runner to a 2020 JLUR if/when 3.0D is released.

I am interested to know one or two minor annoyances you have with your JL that you didn't know before buying.

For example, my 4Runner has been insane for 55k miles, has taken me most places I've wanted to go, and has been put through it's paces. But here are things I wish I would've known before buying one...

- If you go bigger on tires (33s+) you will struggle to find a gear on the highway (5spd)
- In the mountains, at altitude, you will really wish you had more power if you are loaded down
- The paint is brittle thin and can only be buffed out a handful of times

I love my 4Runner but it's no longer fitting my needs and wants.

So -- what say you about the JL? What are some things you wish you knew?
Sponsored

JDinSOCal

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKUR Anvil, '17 4Runner TRD
Vehicle Showcase
I am highly considering moving from my 2015 4Runner to a 2020 JLUR if/when 3.0D is released.

I am interested to know one or two minor annoyances you have with your JL that you didn't know before buying.

For example, my 4Runner has been insane for 55k miles, has taken me most places I've wanted to go, and has been put through it's paces. But here are things I wish I would've known before buying one...

- If you go bigger on tires (33s+) you will struggle to find a gear on the highway (5spd)
- In the mountains, at altitude, you will really wish you had more power if you are loaded down

Hi,

I have a 2017 4Runner TRD model and a 2018 JLUR. I can tell you I hate driving the 4 Runner in comparison to my JL. Well I don't really hate it, it's a really nice rig but I just love driving the Jeep. It does have a little more space in the back because there are no roll bars in the way. The stereo system is so outdated compared to the JL, no offroad pages or Carplay. If it were me to do over again I'd probably go with the Gladiator just for the additional space in the bed. Which I will do when the lease is up on the 4Runner.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If I knew how gutless the 3.6 was in terms of low-end torque, I might have opted for the auto. Love my 6 speed, but I'm shifting a lot especially in headwinds, hills, when towing and tiny trailer, etc. Basically it's a high-rpm car engine, the auto would make it easier to deal with.

Can't believe I'm thinking I'd prefer an auto. haha wtf

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

the 3.6 is a bit gutless for the sport due to bad gearing. gearing is changeable no big deal the turbo 2.0 without e torq will solve all alt. problems.

the 3.0D is gonna be the best bet. better for towing. its going to be only in auto and its turboed i do believe which is solve all the problems both the 2.0 and the 3.6 have.

my only grip i have for my jeep is the low 3.43 gearing in the sport. thats all. other than that i love it. I have the 6 speed manual with the 3.6

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Most vehicles out there, including the 4R, drive better than the jeep on the road. The JL is a great improvement and makes the jeep far more livable as a daily driver, but it's still a compromise. The wind noise is the other obvious annoyance but if you're looking for luxury and quiet don't get a wrangler. But the other thing I didn't know is how much it would get under my skin...in a good way! The Jeep is unique still today and it always brings a smile to my face. Heading 4 blocks to a drive through? Gotta pop the sunrider open for that for sure! Going to the market... what an adventure, bring it on! Not to mention all the wonderful adventures we'll take on the roads less traveled.

If I'd known how obsessive this vehicle would make me... would I have still bought it? Hell yeah!

jeep obsession.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Nothing ... absolutely nothing about my rig bothers me, it’s been great, as long as you know what you’re buying, and not expecting it to be like any other vehicle on the planet, don’t start comparing it to this car or that truck, then you’ll love it and have a blast with it......:like:.. Oh... and one more thing, that extra cash you used to have laying around for rainy day, kiss it goodbye...:facepalm: lol....

EB12

First Name
Elvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
The wind noise on the highway was uprising to be but thats probably because i was going from a small Lexis RCF to the Jeep. After a week you get used to it and only notice it on really windy days. Its definitely different than any other car or suv ive ever owned but in lots of good ways.

My biggest surprise was the first time i took the doors off, i didnt think that would be as fun as it was.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Nothing ... absolutely nothing about my rig bothers me, it’s been great, as long as you know what you’re buying, and not expecting it to be like any other vehicle on the planet, don’t start comparing it to this car or that truck, then you’ll love it and have a blast with it......:like:.. Oh... and one more thing, that extra cash you used to have laying around for rainy day, kiss it goodbye...:facepalm: lol....
I'm already terrible at saving

How's the gearing on Rubi Manuals, make a difference or naw?

Token

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
A lot of people mention the wind noise, and I was prepared for that.

The one that surprised me was the rain.

With the hard top on, in decent rain, it's freaking LOUD !!!!!!

Sponsored

Coder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
How cool it is! Had never owned a wrangler before I purchased my wife a 2019 JLU Sport S, this thing is a blast to drive. Now I want to sell my customized 2007 Power Wagon and get a Rubicon!

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Yesterday I was up in the mountains northern New Mexico it was hailing!! Holy crap it was loud. I have painted front and rear fenders stone chips are a major problem. The Jeep came with KO3 tires......hate them. The tires grab and hold every little stone and won’t let them go until you hit highway speeds

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm already terrible at saving

How's the gearing on Rubi Manuals, make a difference or naw?
I have the auto 3.6 Rubi, it handles 37s great. From what I’ve been hearing, the rubi 4.10s works better with the manual then the sport or Sahara with the higher gears. But I really don’t have any first hand knowledge, just going on what I hear from others talking about it.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the auto 3.6 Rubi, it handles 37s great. From what I’ve been hearing, the rubi 4.10s works better with the manual then the sport or Sahara with the higher gears. But I really don’t have any first hand knowledge, just going on what I hear from others talking about it.
Appreciate it, still makes my future decision worthwhile

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A lot of people mention the wind noise, and I was prepared for that.

The one that surprised me was the rain.

With the hard top on, in decent rain, it's freaking LOUD !!!!!!
Drown it out with the radio
Sponsored