Sponsored

I Need Some Direction- Have 19’ JLUR With 2” RE Spacer Lift - Mopar Lift?

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Okay so as the title indicates, I have a 19’ JLUR with a 2” Rubicon Express spacer lift installed on 35’s. My usage is highway/road use with the exception of off-roading 3x per year. I would call it moderate off roading in the Carolinas. I’m happy with the looks, so that’s not an issue. I keep debating whether I should move to the 2” Mopar lift. A couple of questions:
  1. What would I gain by moving to the Mopar lift?
  2. My only real “concern” with the spacer lift is th shock extensions...could I just upgrade to longer shocks and keep the rest of the spacer lift?
  3. If I do #2 I’m almost to the cost of the Mopar lift, I might as well just do that correct?
Assume money isn’t an issue but I don’t want to just throw it away. Looking for the wisdom of the crowd here. Yes I looked at lots of other threads comparing spacer lifts to the 2” Mopar but most of the discussion wasn’t centered on my situation on a Rubicon. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For what you are doing with your Jeep and that you say you like it like as is... I would say you don't need an additional lift and could spend that same money on other items/mods to make your Jeep a bit more unique. Down the road after the shocks etc wear out you can think about an upgrade. Maybe not what you want to hear but that would be my recommendation on the limited amount I know about you and your situation.

What is it about the spacer lift you don't like? Is it that you want a full spring on each wheel instead of the spacers? Is it that you want longer shocks because the cheap factor is setting in? I don't want to bring you down but some of us don't think that highly of the mopar lift. It does have some nice looking shocks but the springs bow and some, like me, think it is somewhat incomplete. I don't want you to shy away from it... if that is what you want go for it but I'll just say you can do better. I have it on my Jeep and it is decent but would I buy it again... doubt it since I have had to purchase additional equipment to make it a bit more complete.

1. I'm guessing you don't have a winch etc so you will see about another 1.5" in height with the mopar. With that height the axles start to move out a bit (front toward drivers side, rear toward passenger side) and your caster reduces a bit. So you might be looking at spending more for track bars and longer or adj. lower control arms. Some say their axles are perfectly straight and that might be true but stock track bars and LCA's are a set length so with enough height it will happen. The mopar comes with slightly longer LCA's but not long enough in my opinion and there are no correctional brackets for the LCA's so the geometry is a bit off.

2. What is the concern? The looks, the thought of it not being "done right", or what? Yes, you could upgrade to longer shocks but why? Do you want some name brand shocks peeking out so peeps can see them? If that is the case just go with non-mopar branded fox, teraflex, king, or something like that. If you're going to spend the money you might as well buy something that is going to add to the quality of the ride but I'm betting it rides pretty decent now since it is new.

3. You're right, shocks are expensive but if you do the mopar I would think of it as a partial lift that will need additional parts to make it complete. If you prefer a different brand than you will most likely not be happy until you have that on your Jeep. You could be spending double the money if you get something like the mopar now and change your mind later. I'd consider waiting even if that means saving for a few to do it right. You will not look back and will always know you did your research, found exactly what you were looking for, and have the respect from other Jeepers that says you did it right.

Just some random thoughts so take it with a grain of salt and remember that I have the mopar lift and have not changed it out yet so there is that :like:

ssl

Last edited:
OP
OP
jthoms1

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
For what you are doing with your Jeep and that you say you like it like as is, I would say you don't need an additional lift and could spend that same money on other items/mods to make your Jeep a bit more unique. Down the road after the shocks etc wear out you can think about an upgrade. Maybe not what you want to hear but that would be my recommendation on the limited amount I know about you and your situation.

What is it about the spacer lift you don't like? Is it that you want a full spring on each wheel instead of the spacers? Is it that you want longer shocks because the cheap factor is setting in? I don't want to bring you down but some of us don't think that highly of the mopar lift. It does have some nice looking shocks but the springs bow and some, like me, think it is somewhat incomplete. I don't want you to shy away from it if that is what you want but I'll just say you can do better. I have it on my Jeep and it is decent but would I buy it again... doubt it since I have had to purchase additional equipment to make it a bit more complete.

1. I'm guessing you don't have a winch etc so you will see about another 1.5" in height with the mopar. With that height the axles start to move out a bit (front toward drivers side, rear toward passenger side) and your caster reduces a bit. So you might be looking at spending more for track bars and longer or adj. lower control arms. Some say their axles are perfectly straight, and that might be but stock track bars and LCA's are a set length so with enough height it will happen. The mopar comes with slightly longer LCA's but not long enough in my opinion and remember there are no correctional brackets for the LCA's so the geometry is a bit off.

2. What is the concern? The looks, the thought of it not being "done right", or what? Yes, you could upgrade to longer shocks but why? Do you want some name brand shocks peeking out so peeps can see them? If that is the case just go with non-mopar branded fox, teraflex, king, or something like that. If your going to spend the money you might as well buy something that is going to add to the quality of the ride but I'm betting it rides pretty decent since it is new.

3. Your right, shocks are expensive but if you do the mopar I would think of it as a partial lift that will need additional parts to make it complete. If you prefer a different brand than you will most likely not be happy until you have that on your Jeep. You will be spending double the money if you get something like the mopar now. I'd consider waiting even if that means saving for a few to get it do it right. You will not look back and always know you did your research, found exactly what you were looking for, and have the respect from other Jeepers that says you did it right.

Just some random thoughts so take it with a grain of salt and remember that I have the mopar lift and have not changed it out yet so there is that :like:

ssl
First, thank you for taking the time to answer so thoroughly. You pretty much nailed it though. I do have a winch which I transferred over from my 4Runner. I think what’s in the back of mind is the “cheap” factor and after some reflecting, did I actually cheapen or “weaken” the integrity of my Rubicon. I’m in sales and live by the old saying, “The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price.” While the spacer lift isn’t poor quality it just wasn’t the best solution. Overall you’re spot on with what was in my mind. So my question back to you, you do it over again now, what lift would you go with?

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
First, thank you for taking the time to answer so thoroughly. You pretty much nailed it though. I do have a winch which I transferred over from my 4Runner. I think what’s in the back of mind is the “cheap” factor and after some reflecting, did I actually cheapen or “weaken” the integrity of my Rubicon. I’m in sales and live by the old saying, “The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price.” While the spacer lift isn’t poor quality it just wasn’t the best solution. Overall you’re spot on with what was in my mind. So my question back to you, you do it over again now, what lift would you go with?

Your situation is a pretty common one but not many are willing to admit like you have. Those of us with the mopar lift are looked down on by some that feel what they have is far superior. Some are actually right and do have some very nice equipment... but others are just lying to themselves to boost their own ego.

What you should think about is what are you going to be doing with your Jeep, what brands you believe in, and what is going to make you content. You're not a go wheeling every weekend guy so you don't need something that is meant for the hardcore. You want something that is going to have a comfortable ride and not too jarring. You want something that says I can go the places I need to, look good doing it, and not be disappointed because it rides like garbage. I also know you want something that when Jeep peeps look at it, they give you the thumbs up.

In my opinion you may want to look at lifts that have some rubber in the control arm bushing and include correctional brackets. These tend to be the best riding lifts due to correcting the geometry and the bushings have a bit of cushion. The force from hitting your axle transfers up the control arm and into the body of the Jeep. The bushings can help or contribute to that force transfer depending on the type. That is where the correctional brackets come in to play. They not only help with geometry but allow the LCA to level out a bit and help alleviate the harshness of that force transfer.

If you go up any higher than you are already, I would be thinking track bars. There are track bar brackets that also help with correcting suspension geometry but to install those you will need to drill into the TB brackets on the axle and that is not an option for some. Adj track bars would be the next option. I don't know if you have ever felt the weight of the stock track bars but they are very light compared to aftermarket. When you have one in your hand you can tell it's not the strongest thing and would flex with some pressure on it. It was a substantial upgrade for me as the stock front TB was no match for the 37's on my Jeep. To anyone that has 37's, they should consider getting a new heavy duty TB. It was truly like night and day for me. I heard there is a new stock TB being offered by Jeep (I had the old one) and if it's a bit heavier duty that would be a good thing but for me I am past that and wouldn't go back to stock.

I think you should study up on the different types of bushings that are offered on different brand control arms. How would you benefit by having all 8 adj control arms and is that needed for your setup... I also think you should check out spring rates and the different types of springs that are out there. You should get a bit more into how suspensions on Jeeps work so you can make the decision on your own knowing that it is right for you. That way if I asked you what your favorite style of bushing is, you would be able to tell me and why. Also why do you prefer one spring over another... Why should I buy a dual rate spring or a linear spring? Obviously, adj track bars allow you to center the axles buy why does it matter to me and would I want to raise the TB? Why would I want a heavier duty tie rod and do I really need one? Why would I want to change out my steering stabilizer. Why would should I run a 3" bump stop instead of a 2"...

Honestly, figuring it all out is the fun part and then making your decision based on what you know is the best way to buy items for your suspension. That way it fits your needs and personality. I could say buy this or buy that but it's not my place to say. It's all up to you and what it is you are looking to do. One nice thing is that you have time on your side. You already have the Jeep and it's lifted so you are farther ahead than some. You might have a stepping stone lift on it at this point but to be honest you're using your Jeep for exactly what that lift was made for. You could always just start piecing in additional parts from your favorite brand just to end up with the complete kit in the end. That way you get your moneys worth out of the parts you already have.

I get it though.. I know what you are looking for... but It would be nice if you could tell me an everyone else why you upgraded to a "blank_brand" lift, that it's perfect for your needs, and why it is superior to "blank_brand".

These are pretty cool videos. They are old one's but are very informative. I am not trying to steer you towards a brand but check them out.

TJ Lift Kit Jeep Alignment Part 1 of 3 < 3 part series

Jeep Coil Springs Hype

Choosing a Lift For Your Jeep

A few brands to check out. Not a complete list but one to get you started in your quest.

AEV
EVO
ICON
Metal Cloak
Rock Krawler
Teraflex

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
@EZMFE - Thanx, your posts are dead on IMHO.. I just did the Mopar lift a couple of weeks ago and have been doing much homework. I know suspension and dynamics for motorcycles and find the Jeep suspension to be fascinating!!
I took the newly lifted Jeep out on the trails and while the extra ground clearance provided prevented scraping I surely would have had prior, the shocks were a VERY noticeable improvement for the ride and control. It danced through rock fields a washouts like butter. The road handling also improved (also due to the shock improvement)

Sponsored

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@EZMFE - Thanx, your posts are dead on IMHO.. I just did the Mopar lift a couple of weeks ago and have been doing much homework. I know suspension and dynamics for motorcycles and find the Jeep suspension to be fascinating!!
I took the newly lifted Jeep out on the trails and while the extra ground clearance provided prevented scraping I surely would have had prior, the shocks were a VERY noticeable improvement for the ride and control. It danced through rock fields a washouts like butter. The road handling also improved (also due to the shock improvement)
Thanks David!! Appreciate it :like:

Springs/shocks are a bit tricky since they need to balance between not being too harsh on little bumps but still being able to take on the bigger ones. I'm guessing you were aired down but if not than you have that to look forward to also. Adds a little more cushion for the pushing so to speak :giggle:

OP
OP
jthoms1

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Your situation is a pretty common one but not many are willing to admit like you have. Those of us with the mopar lift are looked down on by some that feel what they have is far superior. Some are actually right and do have some very nice equipment... but others are just lying to themselves to boost their own ego.

What you should think about is what are you going to be doing with your Jeep, what brands you believe in, and what is going to make you content. You're not a go wheeling every weekend guy so you don't need something that is meant for the hardcore. You want something that is going to have a comfortable ride and not too jarring. You want something that says I can go the places I need to, look good doing it, and not be disappointed because it rides like garbage. I also know you want something that when Jeep peeps look at it, they give you the thumbs up.

In my opinion you may want to look at lifts that have some rubber in the control arm bushing and include correctional brackets. These tend to be the best riding lifts due to correcting the geometry and the bushings have a bit of cushion. The force from hitting your axle transfers up the control arm and into the body of the Jeep. The bushings can help or contribute to that force transfer depending on the type. That is where the correctional brackets come in to play. They not only help with geometry but allow the LCA to level out a bit and help alleviate the harshness of that force transfer.

If you go up any higher than you are already, I would be thinking track bars. There are track bar brackets that also help with correcting suspension geometry but to install those you will need to drill into the TB brackets on the axle and that is not an option for some. Adj track bars would be the next option. I don't know if you have ever felt the weight of the stock track bars but they are very light compared to aftermarket. When you have one in your hand you can tell it's not the strongest thing and would flex with some pressure on it. It was a substantial upgrade for me as the stock front TB was no match for the 37's on my Jeep. To anyone that has 37's, they should consider getting a new heavy duty TB. It was truly like night and day for me. I heard there is a new stock TB being offered by Jeep (I had the old one) and if it's a bit heavier duty that would be a good thing but for me I am past that and wouldn't go back to stock.

I think you should study up on the different types of bushings that are offered on different brand control arms. How would you benefit by having all 8 adj control arms and is that needed for your setup... I also think you should check out spring rates and the different types of springs that are out there. You should get a bit more into how suspensions on Jeeps work so you can make the decision on your own knowing that it is right for you. That way if I asked you what your favorite style of bushing is, you would be able to tell me and why. Also why do you prefer one spring over another... Why should I buy a dual rate spring or a linear spring? Obviously, adj track bars allow you to center the axles buy why does it matter to me and would I want to raise the TB? Why would I want a heavier duty tie rod and do I really need one? Why would I want to change out my steering stabilizer. Why would should I run a 3" bump stop instead of a 2"...

Honestly, figuring it all out is the fun part and then making your decision based on what you know is the best way to buy items for your suspension. That way it fits your needs and personality. I could say buy this or buy that but it's not my place to say. It's all up to you and what it is you are looking to do. One nice thing is that you have time on your side. You already have the Jeep and it's lifted so you are farther ahead than some. You might have a stepping stone lift on it at this point but to be honest you're using your Jeep for exactly what that lift was made for. You could always just start piecing in additional parts from your favorite brand just to end up with the complete kit in the end. That way you get your moneys worth out of the parts you already have.

I get it though.. I know what you are looking for... but It would be nice if you could tell me an everyone else why you upgraded to a "blank_brand" lift, that it's perfect for your needs, and why it is superior to "blank_brand".

These are pretty cool videos. They are old one's but are very informative. I am not trying to steer you towards a brand but check them out.

TJ Lift Kit Jeep Alignment Part 1 of 3 < 3 part series

Jeep Coil Springs Hype

Choosing a Lift For Your Jeep

A few brands to check out. Not a complete list but one to get you started in your quest.

AEV
EVO
ICON
Metal Cloak
Rock Krawler
Teraflex
Great information thanks! I watched all of the videos, they were very helpful.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Great information thanks! I watched all of the videos, they were very helpful.
Yeah, it's hard with some video's since everyone is trying to sell you something but getting down the basics is the key.

So what do you think you are going to do? Go with the mopar lift, look around for something else, or keep it like it is? The mopar does fit your wants pretty well and gives you the look you want.

OP
OP
jthoms1

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yeah, it's hard with some video's since everyone is trying to sell you something but getting down the basics is the key.

So what do you think you are going to do? Go with the mopar lift, look around for something else, or keep it like it is? The mopar does fit your wants pretty well and gives you the look you want.
So I’ve decided to purchase everything separately. I have RK 2.5” springs I picked up already. I installed Teraflex Alpine adjustable LCAs today. I have a Steersmarts front trackbar on the way. I installed a Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer. I’m waiting on fox 2.0 shocks. I still need to pick up the new bump stop kits. That leads me to a current question I have. I know I need longer sway bar end links. If I understand correctly I can move the rear up front and then buy 12” new for the rear? Is that correct?

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So I’ve decided to purchase everything separately. I have RK 2.5” springs I picked up already. I installed Teraflex Alpine adjustable LCAs today. I have a Steersmarts front trackbar on the way. I installed a Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer. I’m waiting on fox 2.0 shocks. I still need to pick up the new bump stop kits.
Yeah, that is the way to do it. You're going to love it and know why each one of those parts is on your rig.

I'd wait on those bump stops until you do a full stuff F/R and measure the minimum you need to keep it from rubbing the fenders. Also, while the vehicle is lifted, check the length of the brake lines/locker cables/etc to make sure you don't need to add an extended brake line bracket or remove some of the clips holding them on. Some will re-route the rear brake lines so they don't get stretched but it may not be needed in your situation. If you plan on installing a front steel bumper/winch/etc you may want to grab .5 - 1" spacer for the front to level out the rake that it will create. Also, consider new spring perches if you have not already.

I know I need longer sway bar end links. If I understand correctly I can move the rear up front and then buy 12” new for the rear? Is that correct?
Yes, but you don't gain any bragging rights by doing that ;)

12" seems like a hair much for the springs you are going to use but many aftermarket are adjustable anyhow. Not sure if you are wanted to deal with adjustable but I'm thinking somewhere between 10.5 - 11.5" to level out the rear sway bar. The stock rear end links on a rubicon are right around 9" which may be a little bit much for the front with the 2.5 but run them and see.

I would recommend front end links that are disconnectable. That way when you want to disconnect in 2wd you can and it will not auto reconnect at higher speeds. You can also use the button to disconnect them when needed in 4wd but can't do that in 2wd unless you have a programmer. Of course this is based on my experience and are not really needed for someone that doesn't take their Jeep off-road that often.

Congrats on the new lift :like:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jthoms1

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yeah, that is the way to do it. You're going to love it and know why each one of those parts is on your rig.

I'd wait on those bump stops until you do a full stuff F/R and measure the minimum you need to keep it from rubbing the fenders. Also, while the vehicle is lifted, check the length of the brake lines/locker cables/etc to make sure you don't need to add an extended brake line bracket or remove some of the clips holding them on. Some will re-route the rear brake lines so they don't get stretched but it may not be needed in your situation. If you plan on installing a front steel bumper/winch/etc you may want to grab .5 - 1" spacer for the front to level out the rake that it will create. Also, consider new spring perches if you have not already.

Yes, but you don't gain any bragging rights by doing that ;)

12" seems like a hair much for the springs you are going to use but many aftermarket are adjustable anyhow. Not sure if you are wanted to deal with adjustable but I'm thinking somewhere between 10.5 - 11.5" to level out the rear sway bar. The stock rear end links on a rubicon are right around 9" which may be a little bit much for the front with the 2.5 but run them and see.

I would recommend front end links that are disconnectable. That way when you want to disconnect in 2wd you can and it will not auto reconnect at higher speeds. You can also use the button to disconnect them when needed in 4wd but can't do that in 2wd unless you have a programmer. Of course this is based on my experience and are not really needed for someone that doesn't take their Jeep off-road that often.

Congrats on the new lift :like:
‘Thanks for the additional direction. I’m going to grab the 1” spacers for up front, as I do have a which and the Mopar steel bumper. I did some googling about the spring perches you referenced buying. It appears those are for correcting bowing in the springs? Is that not unique to the Mopar lift as I’ve been reading? Wondering why I would need them I guess. Also are those front and rear?

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
‘Thanks for the additional direction. I’m going to grab the 1” spacers for up front, as I do have a which and the Mopar steel bumper. I did some googling about the spring perches you referenced buying. It appears those are for correcting bowing in the springs? Is that not unique to the Mopar lift as I’ve been reading? Wondering why I would need them I guess. Also are those front and rear?
Inspect the front ones you have and replace with new if you think necessary. I've seen a few that were mangled and crushed somewhat.

You most likely already know this but when you get the springs off you can push each wheel/tire up into the fender to see what length bump stop you will need. Basically simulate what would happen on the trail by jacking one side of the axle/wheel/tire up into the fender. You will likely be ok going with 2" F/R but it depends on your wheel size / wheel offset / tire width. Some like to measure down to the last mm to utilize as much travel as possible. You'll want to add them to the front before placing the springs on the axle since you may not be able to fit them between the springs unless using a shim type setup. If planning on going to 37" tires at some point you may want to buy a shim type bump stop setup since that will allow you to just add a shim or two later on and not have to remove the entire front spring.
Sponsored