Sponsored

Have you ever noticed how many idiots there are?

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Super late response to all this, but tires are seriously the biggest difference in snow. You need a Jeep or some other SUV to drive in the snow. That is such a myth. All the 4x4 in the world isn't going to save you if you just don't know how to drive in the snow. I used to have a little blue Chevy Cavalier and I drove through all sorts of snow both here and in New England for years. Inches, even feet of snow. Small roads, highways, some totally unplowed. I would see SUVs stuck and I would just keep plugging along. Speed and traction, those are the most important things.
Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I see someone do stupid shit and I think what a dumbass. Then I turn around and walk into a pole and think what dumbass put that there. I've been guilty many times of being an idiot.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Super late response to all this, but tires are seriously the biggest difference in snow. You need a Jeep or some other SUV to drive in the snow. That is such a myth. All the 4x4 in the world isn't going to save you if you just don't know how to drive in the snow. I used to have a little blue Chevy Cavalier and I drove through all sorts of snow both here and in New England for years. Inches, even feet of snow. Small roads, highways, some totally unplowed. I would see SUVs stuck and I would just keep plugging along. Speed and traction, those are the most important things.

i agree that the tires is the key item. i also agree that you just need to know how to drive in the snow. i had a cavalier and it did pretty well in the snow. however having a 4wd or awd and knowing how to use it in the snow is a key success. with my job (postal service), its mandatory to show up to work, (even if the state shuts down the roads) so i need to have a 4wd. . but back to the actual post. there are a bunch of morons that cant figure out the common sense in driving in the snow. let alone that they think running bald tires improves their driving skills. i can easily putt along in the snow passing everyone that is stuck or off the road due to their stupidity. they just make it harder for the plow guys and tow trucks.

Deleted member 29342

And in Florida we laugh when storms hit the northern states and everything grinds to a halt... meanwhile we hear about a hurricane coming and don’t really give it much thought unless it’s a Category 4.

Check out this idiot taking pictures while driving “on one of NY busy highway”
Phone was on a cradle. :clap:

Sponsored

Deleted member 29342

Ha, okay sweet! I’m just giving you a hard time. I’m definitely not one to judge, I’ve done plenty of super unsafe stuff in my day lol
Hahaha. I’m busting chops too. Did anyone hear about the lady driving with an inflatable pool on the roof of the car with her 2 kids in it so it won’t blow away?

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha. I’m busting chops too. Did anyone hear about the lady driving with an inflatable pool on the roof of the car with her 2 kids in it so it won’t blow away?
Well, I mean, how else are you gonna keep your pool from blowing away? :CWL:

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
And in Florida we laugh when storms hit the northern states and everything grinds to a halt... meanwhile we hear about a hurricane coming and don’t really give it much thought unless it’s a Category 4.

Check out this idiot taking pictures while driving “on one of NY busy highway”
Bad news for ya, I've never seen it grind to a halt here for any storm ..

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Bad news for ya, I've never seen it grind to a halt here for any storm ..
Hurricane Sandy...?

Actually when I posted that what I really had in mind were the few Category 1 and Tropical Storms that hit Hawaii when I lived there. You’d have thought the world was ending. People lining up in grocery stores to buy water and supplies. Businesses shutting down. All for what amounted to a little wind and rain.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
i agree that the tires is the key item. i also agree that you just need to know how to drive in the snow. i had a cavalier and it did pretty well in the snow. however having a 4wd or awd and knowing how to use it in the snow is a key success. with my job (postal service), its mandatory to show up to work, (even if the state shuts down the roads) so i need to have a 4wd. . but back to the actual post. there are a bunch of morons that cant figure out the common sense in driving in the snow. let alone that they think running bald tires improves their driving skills. i can easily putt along in the snow passing everyone that is stuck or off the road due to their stupidity. they just make it harder for the plow guys and tow trucks.
Having 4x4 AND knowing how to drive in the snow is definitely your best chance to not get stranded, for sure. Just saying that I took my little Cavalier all over creation in snow storms with no problem while seeing big ol' SUVs getting stuck (probably even some jeeps, to be honest). I remember a huge storm up in Rhode Island sometime between 2006-2008. Even 95 was at a near standstill, and I was taking my friend to the airport outside Providence. People were spinning out, spinning themselves into the breakdown lane and ditches - snow had accumulated a good foot at least between lanes and such. I always made sure to have good tires on my little Cavalier, throw it in a lower gear, and just slowly but surely plug ahead, no sudden steering corrections, try not to lose speed but also not get too much speed. Made it there and back (took about an hour to travel 20 miles down the highway but oh well lol) just fine.

Also common sense things like hey, there's a big pileup of snow at that stop sign, don't try to drive right through it, especially if you're gonna slow down/stop for the sign - go down another street or two and see if it looks better there, then make the turn. That kind of stuff and you can do just fine in 99% of snow events without a 4x4 vehicle. I would say the majority of drivers in my town in PA still just have cars, not SUVs, and we don't have a lot of issues with cars getting stranded in snow unless it's a truly massive storm. I see little sedans driving past my house all the time when there's a foot or more of snow on the ground without issues.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Bicyclists (and Icicleists and E-cyclists) have a right to a lane. Get used to that. We are not required to ride in a gutter so that you can roar by inches from our elbows.

And yes, when it’s clear, we sometimes violate traffic laws in order to avoid sitting still in the kill zone, knowing that some don’t notice us, and some like you resent our very presence on “their” roads.

Stayin’ Alive....

That actually keeps us out of your way, though.

From my point of view, people like you are the real hazard.

Share the road.
Are you kidding?? It's your type of rationality that pisses motorists off. It's your type that gives decent, law abiding cyclists a bad name. If you are going to use the road, on any bicycle, obey the laws, period. You dont need to ride the gutters, but you also dont need the entire lane. Be respectful to motorists, and they will respect you.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Hurricane Sandy...?

Actually when I posted that what I really had in mind were the few Category 1 and Tropical Storms that hit Hawaii when I lived there. You’d have thought the world was ending. People lining up in grocery stores to buy water and supplies. Businesses shutting down. All for what amounted to a little wind and rain.
Yep, I worked during that storm and that storm never really hit us as bad up here as it did in NY and NJ ..

Chuckandjennr

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Are you kidding?? It's your type of rationality that pisses motorists off. It's your type that gives decent, law abiding cyclists a bad name. If you are going to use the road, on any bicycle, obey the laws, period. You dont need to ride the gutters, but you also dont need the entire lane. Be respectful to motorists, and they will respect you.
AMEN! "SHARE THE ROAD" comes along with share the rules... stop running stop signs and red lights and breaking a million other traffic laws and maybe, just maybe you will see less pissed off drivers as you peddle your bike down the middle of a lane and ignore the fact that just about every state has a slower traffic keep right law... (even if its not enforced)
Sponsored