so here is the ticking engine of brand new Wrangler JL

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I need to listen to some other new JL pentastar engine and hear how they sound. The engine in my Wrangler almost sounds like a little diesel engine. Just yesterday I met someone with a 5 year old JK parked next to me and I asked the driver if I could listen to his idling engine and his was quieter than mine and I didn't hear the ticking sound. I wonder what's going on. Maybe it is just the very thin 0 - 20W engine oil? Has anybody noticed anything about their JL pentastar engine sound?
Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
It's noisy for sure. An old post somewhere said the same engine in other FCA vehicles is quieter. I have to think Jeep was going for the old school sound, or at least not dampening the motor noises. Muffler, air intake, pumps, insulation, etc. Good by me! If I want quiet, I'll drive wifeys Edge.

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well I am not sure what the Italian engineers are planing for American vehicles but I surely do not like the sound of that engine

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks, I wish I could say the same but who knows maybe after I put some more miles on the Jeep the ticking sound will go away

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
thanks, I wish I could say the same but who knows maybe after I put some more miles on the Jeep the ticking sound will go away
Put 93 octane in it. It went away when I did.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Mine is quiet. I own a diesel pickup too and if yours sounds like a diesel I’d be concerned...

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
How many miles do you have on it? Is it more evident on one side than the other? Does the tick seem to come from a valve cover? The Pentastar is notorious for rocker arm roller bearing failures. Starts as a mild tick, gets louder, then subsides as the cam lobe is worn off. I’ve had to do a repair on my 2013 and my more recent 2015. 87k miles on the more recent, and the cam lobe was worn off...

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And what do you think ?I think it sounds almost like a diesel engine but I checked and it is still a gasoline Pentastar 3.6 L . On my first fuel fill I used 91 octane gas too because I got a free coupon from the dealer to fill up the tank.

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many miles do you have on it? Is it more evident on one side than the other? Does the tick seem to come from a valve cover? The Pentastar is notorious for rocker arm roller bearing failures. Starts as a mild tick, gets louder, then subsides as the cam lobe is worn off. I’ve had to do a repair on my 2013 and my more recent 2015. 87k miles on the more recent, and the cam lobe was worn off...
here is a link to my video

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
And what do you think ?I think it sounds almost like a diesel engine but I checked and it is still a gasoline Pentastar 3.6 L . On my first fuel fill I used 91 octane gas too because I got a free coupon from the dealer to fill up the tank.

Sounds "normal" to me, my 2.0 also sounds like that idling on some cold mornings. Also several other JLs I've heard. Sounds less "tick-like" after it warms up or you drove it around for a while.

Last edited:

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
]
It doesn't sound too off to me, but its hard to say with youtube sound. These engines are designed for 87 octane. 91 isn't going to do anything for you except waste money. 91 isn't better than 87, it just burns slower.
Sponsored