Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

JeepRider10

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
They looked and nothing was loose? Did they put a torque wrench on it to check or do they have some sort of x-ray vision that can tell if something is loose or not by looking? You can check the cotter pins in the 4 ball joint nuts to see if they look factory perfect, thus they didn't check, or if they look a little bit mangled like they used a pair of pliers to re-install the cotter pins.

FYI: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-is-normal-for-the-jl.31971/
Ill take a look and snap some pictures of the cotter pins tomorrow. But the repair order says only that they could not duplicate the issue. It seems if they had taken the time to verify torque specifications they would have documented it. Or at least the should have.
Sponsored

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
I have an interesting update on my Sahara and local dealer.

The service department at my dealership has 3 JLs as loaners leftover 18's. The service manager, Thank God, drives one daily now. He too said he couldn't believe how the steering went to crap on an 18 Sahara after 1,000 miles. And it all seems to be the steering boxes were loose from the factory after May build date and or the tighter steering boxes from earlier build dates start loosening up after 1,000 miles +
I think many of us here are recognizing that this gearbox is the "achilles heel" of the 2018 JL. Just unbelievable the unreliability of this gearbox already.

So far we have bad build quality that covers a multitude of problems such as inadequately torqued components and alignment specs out of range - poorly designed track bar - faulty steering stabilizers - sloppy gearboxes... what's next.

But I still love my JLU! Ugh.

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I sincerely laughed out loud reading the end of your message. And it is so so true. It has taken well over a year to get all of those issues fixed with the steering components. My service manager has been awesome and also to have JL loaners when taking my Jeep in for service or repairs to compare my steering to something else has helped a lot . I also put my adjuster to 1/4 ish or slightly to to it, but back to where it was awhile back and it steers nice. Of course it isn't fixed. In fact I am going to try another 1/8 more to see what that is like. But again for anyone new to trying to attempt to get their steering fixed, finder a reputable dealer is so so crucial. Adjusting the steering box in the beginning does help, but if you still have loose ball joint nuts, bad track bar, drag link, and bad steering stabilizer it is only a bandaid.

But with all that said, I too love my JLU.

I think many of us here are recognizing that this gearbox is the "achilles heel" of the 2018 JL. Just unbelievable the unreliability of this gearbox already.

So far we have bad build quality that covers a multitude of problems such as inadequately torqued components and alignment specs out of range - poorly designed track bar - faulty steering stabilizers - sloppy gearboxes... what's next.

But I still love my JLU! Ugh.

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
i have an appointment tomorrow to check this issue out along with rear window defroster issue. This will be the fourth time in for steering and they refused to do anything the last 3 times. I don't really expect any different this time. Galeana jeep here in fort myers florida is absolute crap! I did email Jeep Cares but i'm not expecting much from this either. I'll give you guys an update tomorrow

Sponsored

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have an appointment tomorrow to check this issue out along with rear window defroster issue. This will be the fourth time in for steering and they refused to do anything the last 3 times. I don't really expect any different this time. Galeana jeep here in fort myers florida is absolute crap! I did email Jeep Cares but i'm not expecting much from this either. I'll give you guys an update tomorrow
If that dealer did nothing the last three times it's time to move on. My first dealer experience was positive, simply because they were open minded to at least checking it out. The first thing my service tech did was contact the FCA STAR Help Line and they advised him on the way to proceed. Step by step they told him what to check.

It's all about getting a caring service advisor and then a service tech willing to contact the Help Desk. Sometimes they are reluctant to do this because when they contact the Help Desk it opens a case number and then the problem needs to be resolved before closing it. Longer term open cases don't look good.

You can suggest to the service advisor that the tech contact the STAR Help Line as they ARE familiar with the issue you are having.

-Goodluck-

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Be sure to print out Star Case # S1819000003 and bring it with you.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...o-help-cure-steering-issues-68394087aa.25299/

Sswrangler03

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I bought my wife a new Rubicon JL and I drove it the other day and it seems to have some play in the steering and feels like I am constantly trying to correct the direction we are traveling. I thought it was out of alignment but I went and drove another one and it felt the same way. Is anyone else feel this issue and is it just the way it is or is it just a jeep thing? We just sold our 2013 JKU and it was like that too but I expected improved steering on the new JL model. I would like to hear other peoples thoughts about this steering play or drifting feeling. O by the way, She loves her new ride!

IMG_9731.jpg
Have you had your issue resolved? I am having the same issue and dealing with the dealer. I feel a lemon law case coming. They are saying it is perfectly fine and that it might be the tires. All lies and stalls.

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you had your issue resolved? I am having the same issue and dealing with the dealer. I feel a lemon law case coming. They are saying it is perfectly fine and that it might be the tires. All lies and stalls.
My recent rental was a JK and it was not as bad as my JLU. The problems with the JL seems to have two commonalities; the first being dead zone in the middle of steering wheel and the second is wandering. Both problems amplify each other.

My wandering issue has been greatly improved, just by setting the tow to the specs I have listed in my earlier post. Mine were way off and I suspect many others are the same as the factory does not take the time to get it spot on, and FCA now recommends a total toe closer to 0.35 with both sides as equal as possible. Just get the alignment checked and have the toe set correctly and it might just help with the wandering. The dead spot is more tolerable when one problem is eliminated. I believe the steering will never be as precise as a non straight axle vehicle though.

Just my 2 cents...

Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
New track bar installed today. Drives worse or no change. Still very loose, sucks
Curious. Was it the updated Mopar track bar or an aftermarket? If aftermarket, which one?

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
Mine is a march 2019 build. Recall v41 done a week before I bought it which I believe is steering. Is there a list that we should provide to our dealer to make sure it’s all up to date?
- v41 recall done
- trackbar #?
- alignment numbers?

After playing with the wheel this morning, I can move an inch right and it starts to respond, left the same. So I believe this is normal, it is a tad “mushy” but if you move the wheel an inch in either direction in any vehicle, it’ll only move it a bit.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Does anyone know if advanced alignment shops have a way of aligning the steering wheel with equipment vs just eyeballing it? Like maybe attaching something to the steering wheel that gives a true point of reference? Each time I get it adjusted, it looks great on the lift. But in the real world while driving, it is off every time.
The alignment machine can help with that. For a hunter machine it’s called “steer ahead”. You’ll center the steering wheel and secure it and then adjust the drag link. It gets it close but after a road test usually needs to be tweaked a little.

Brett

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine is a march 2019 build. Recall v41 done a week before I bought it which I believe is steering. Is there a list that we should provide to our dealer to make sure it’s all up to date?
- v41 recall done
- trackbar #?
- alignment numbers?

After playing with the wheel this morning, I can move an inch right and it starts to respond, left the same. So I believe this is normal, it is a tad “mushy” but if you move the wheel an inch in either direction in any vehicle, it’ll only move it a bit.
Alignment specs: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...heel-alignment-specs-toe-caster-camber.17832/

New track bar part number: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...o-help-cure-steering-issues-68394087aa.25299/

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Source: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-loose-and-or-wander.28197/page-3#post-764799 and https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-jl-wrangler-check-your-jl-for-recalls.9784/

TSB # 02-003-19 Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.
GROUP: 02 Front
Suspension
DATE: June 21, 2019

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the front track bar.

NOTE: If the vehicle symptom/condition is described with a sustained shake or shimmy in the steering wheel, as in the V41 recall, this bulletin should not be performed. Please refer to any open CSN’s, RRT’s, and other service documentation for that concern.

MODELS:
2018 - 2019
(JL) Jeep Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NorthAmerica, APAC and EMEA.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after October 15, 2017 (MDH 1015XX) and on or before January 22, 2019 (MDH 0122XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe:
• Vehicle wanders and requires constant small steering corrections.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Inspection Procedure.

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

NOTE: A test drive is required to verify that the symptom/condition listed above is the customer concern. If a shake or shimmy is felt on the test drive this bulletin does not pertain.

1. Does the vehicle wander and require constant small steering corrections?
• YES>>> Proceed to Step 1 of the repair procedure.
• NO>>> This Bulletin does not apply. Normal diagnosis should be performed.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 (AR) 68394087AA Track Bar LHD
1 (AR) 68394094AA Track Bar RHD
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited: