First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
What's a PCM update? Is this a over-the-air update?
Firmware update. Dealer installed. It fixes the center console connection reliability as well as some other stability fixes.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The beta is working for me, I like the new split screen. My understanding of using Google Maps or Waze on the new multi-app screen is they haven't been given access to the beta builds to test in yet. I suspect we will see them later once they get to update their own apps or in 13.x updates. The only issue I have seen consistently is Apple Music. In Radio channels using the skip seems to just play the same track every other time meaning you have to skip, and then skip again to get it to advance to a new track. Podcasts have been playing fine though using the built in app. Haven't loaded spotify or anything else on the beta device yet.
Outside of the car, I'm looking forward to the verbal texting while using AirPods. Like when you are in the car, you will get the option to have the text read to you, and give a response without interacting with the phone itself. I run and ride using the airpods and will look forward to that feature.
Amazon Music works great; no issues.

As to 3rd party apps they have access to the dev betas but typically release the new features the day the iOS update goes public. This occurred when they allowed Google Maps and Waze on CarPlay a couple releases ago; the day that iOS went public release the new apps were available to support it.

Not sure how you get on the Google Maps or Waze beta app access or if it's completely closed.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
This isn’t specific to Jeep, but will affect all Wrangler owners using CarPlay. The next version of iOS (v.13, due in September) will be the biggest improvements to CaPlay since it was introduced. I got on the Beta test and have been playing around with it for a few days now.

In addition to just user interface improvements, the biggest improvements are:
- a side-by-side screen where you can see navigation and your music on the same screen (as of now this only works with apple maps, tbd whether it will eventually allow you to customize with Waze or Google maps)
- now if you go to look at your actual iPhone’s screen, it doesn’t take your Jeep’s infotainment screen back to the home screen
- a new calendar app in CarPlay, so you can click on address links on your calendar without having to type them in

A longer review can be found here
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/apple/148501-apple-carplay-on-ios-13

As of now I don’t recommend getting the Beta test, it’s still fairly glitchy. But that’s to be expected with Beta’s. I expect apple will have all of these minor issues fixed by the time it goes live in September.

These features will be free for anyone using an iPhone released in the past 5-6 years.

you can do a split screen or partial screen now with radio and gps (not sure about Waze)

Kuzco83

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
It’s pretty cool...
689D4C8B-4336-4230-BA28-4AA7CBC5BAA2.jpeg
Looks really good on the 8.4” Uconnect. I tried it on the 7”Uconnect and Jeep crops the CarPlay screen too much. Here is hoping that Jeep releases fix to address screen space for CarPlay. I’m still confused as to why they don’t add a Jeep icon within CarPlay that allows you to jump back to the Uconnect options. I’ve seen it in Fords and it works great, you get access to the whole display. Crossing fingers that their dev team fixes that prior to iOS 13 release.

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
This isn’t specific to Jeep, but will affect all Wrangler owners using CarPlay. The next version of iOS (v.13, due in September) will be the biggest improvements to CaPlay since it was introduced. I got on the Beta test and have been playing around with it for a few days now.

In addition to just user interface improvements, the biggest improvements are:
- a side-by-side screen where you can see navigation and your music on the same screen (as of now this only works with apple maps, tbd whether it will eventually allow you to customize with Waze or Google maps)
- now if you go to look at your actual iPhone’s screen, it doesn’t take your Jeep’s infotainment screen back to the home screen
- a new calendar app in CarPlay, so you can click on address links on your calendar without having to type them in

A longer review can be found here
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/apple/148501-apple-carplay-on-ios-13

As of now I don’t recommend getting the Beta test, it’s still fairly glitchy. But that’s to be expected with Beta’s. I expect apple will have all of these minor issues fixed by the time it goes live in September.

These features will be free for anyone using an iPhone released in the past 5-6 years.
All these upgrades on already on the galaxy note.

Sponsored

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
you can do a split screen or partial screen now with radio and gps (not sure about Waze)
I've been running the beta as well. The 2nd beta was more stable for carplay for sure.

So of right now the split screen only works with the native apps so Waze doesn't, but it doesn't mean that wouldn't be supported in a future release.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
I just downloaded the beta the other day. I've found a couple issues and the main one is that Siri is only reading back partial messages before she fades off to silent. for example she reads the contact name and the first one or two words of the text and then she fades off. I sent feedback.

The other thing I sent feedback on wasn't specific to iOS 13 as it's also in 12 is that the screen background when playing Music/Spotify/Pandora is the album artwork all muddled and pretty crappy looking. It should just be a user defined screen artwork or something. I will say that in 13, the artwork is much better displayed in separate icons.

OP
OP
Columbus104

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I just downloaded the beta the other day. I've found a couple issues and the main one is that Siri is only reading back partial messages before she fades off to silent. for example she reads the contact name and the first one or two words of the text and then she fades off. I sent feedback.

The other thing I sent feedback on wasn't specific to iOS 13 as it's also in 12 is that the screen background when playing Music/Spotify/Pandora is the album artwork all muddled and pretty crappy looking. It should just be a user defined screen artwork or something. I will say that in 13, the artwork is much better displayed in separate icons.
Yeah you definitely have to endure a few funky quirks like that when dealing with beta versions. But Apple is pretty good about refining software before it goes live with a mass release. Keep providing updates and I’m sure they’ll address them. Still have a month before iOS 13 officially launches.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

It’s pretty cool...
689D4C8B-4336-4230-BA28-4AA7CBC5BAA2.jpeg
Not only that, but if you run your phone in "dark mode" the CarPlay screen is also dark mode.

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
Not only that, but if you run your phone in "dark mode" the CarPlay screen is also dark mode.
You don't have to be in dark mode for the Carplay screen to be dark.
There is a new setting to enable "Light Mode" and that makes it light until your headlights come on. Then it's dark.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Google Earth beta now has split screen mode and works well.

As IOS goes live next month with iPhone 11 so suspect Waze is also deep in testing but don't have TestFlight access to Waze.

Also nice that CarPlay is a separate screen; your passenger can use the phone while CarPlay is active to read emails; search directions; etc; etc.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
From a design and usability stand point Apple Car Play is far superior to Android Auto. I switched from an iPhone to a Google Pixel 3 for a little over a year so I've spent ample time with both platforms. I'm excited to see how the new Car Play works out. Comparatively, I found myself taking longer to perform tasks on the screen with Android Auto thus more time with my eyes off the road. Apple's design sensibility has always been superb and in this case I think it's safer.
I personally like the Google Assistant far more than Siri, though. Siri is not capable of half the things that GA can respond to while driving and so I never use the touch interface with a new version of Android vs IOS. I have an XS Max right now, but that Note 10 release has me looking.. and it’s mainly because of the assistant AI that Google has integrated.

TexaClone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Glad I saw this post for one killer app if you have Chamberlain MyQ garage door openers.

I haven’t used Apple HomeKit in the past, but I might now. They are finally putting the Garage icon from HomeKit on the CarPlay screen.

Basically, no more lost or stolen openers!

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR

Happy to report that the issues noted above have been eliminated in the latest version (beta 7)
Sponsored