Sponsored

What's New For 2020 Jeep Wrangler? (Engines, Exterior, Interior & Safety)

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)

lumberjack357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I still can't believe that not every Wrangler, regardless of trim, doesn't come with DRL. But we're worried about auto high beams?
There is no federal mandate for DRLs and little evidence to support their effectiveness in North American. If you want DRLs move to Canada lol We've had them since 1990. Personally, I think mandating amber turn signals for the rear of all cars is more important that DRLs. Auto high beams is entirely unnecessary, a convenience feature for the lazy and incompetent.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I’ll bet you my pride. Lol. The diesel and the plug in are the most interesting engines to me. So far what I have seen of the 2019 year is painfully disappointing. The fact that these have taken so long to come out really makes me wonder about their reliability.
I’d be surprised if you see significant reliability issues with the diesel beyond DPFs dying (they’re consumable like any other filter). I don’t recall the last time a company had an engine delayed this long by EPA certification or otherwise. They’ve had zero rush to market and a frankly ridiculous amount of time to run the test mules into the ground. It’s also the second generation of an engine with some of the upgrades going toward prior reliability issues. If ever there were an engine to work from day one, the 3.0 certainly has the right pre-market conditions to do so.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I’d be surprised if you see significant reliability issues with the diesel beyond DPFs dying (they’re consumable like any other filter).
ProTip: DPFs are certainly not consumable items. In fact, a replacement can run well over 7000 bucks depending on the make of car.
For example, the "cheap" aftermarket DPF on a Toyota Hilux 2.4l runs about 3500. An OEM runs almost 6000.
DPFs are intended to last the life the vehicle. They are complex little things and you do not want to pay to replace it.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
If ever there were an engine to work from day one, the 3.0 certainly has the right pre-market conditions to do so.
I have no doubt that the engine would easily meet the federal emissions requirements with no issues at all, as the previous gen still meets those requirements. Likely state emissions, i.e CA emissions are the issue.
The 3.0 plan for EU was never even considered as there was simply no possible way to meet the Euro 6D emissions standard. As such, they opted for a 2.2 turbo diesel, which, I have to say is a massive improvement over the old the 2.8 turbo it replaced. In terms of refinement, economy and God willing, reliability.
It definitely does not pull as well as the 3.0 does, however, given the horrible reliability record of that engine here in Europe, I am happy to take the 2.2, which FIAT has used for some time and has a really good record on. They can't wire a car for shit, but they do make a reliable diesel engine.

Sponsored

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Personally, I think mandating amber turn signals for the rear of all cars is more important that DRLs.
This! A thousand times this! See @JeepCares ? I'm not the only one who thinks Wranglers should have amber turn signals in the N. American market. Please let the powers that be know that we want amber turn signals. No more combined brake lights/turn signals.

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to the OP for posting this great information on the 2020 Wranglers! Good stuff!

The dark saddle is actually quite nice. Further, I am *stunned* that a dealer is discounting a Rubicon-trim Gladiator (link posted in an earlier post). I thought for sure those things would be marked UP not down.

I was hoping for a few changes to the 2020's but sadly it doesn't appear it'll happen. I was hoping for an alternate dash color on the Rubicons (personally, I love the darked-out dash in the Altitude trim), or some different wheel & tire options on the Sahara and Sport S. I'm a Rubicon buyer on a Sport budget :)

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I have to say that I am not a fan. I have had them on several cars and it seems they either wait too long and I need to bump the stock manually anyhow, or, there is a slight misting and the wipers go flat out like I'm driving through a monsoon.
Hmm.. not been my experience on the two I have had it on. One being my 2017 RAM and the other a 2005 Grand Cherokee.

Maybe I have been lucky.

RikFlairWoo

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ Sahara
I am pretty sure this is tan and not dark saddle. Window sticker aside, this is probably dealer error when posting the photos
They definitely do look darker in the Rubicon pics than in in the Overland I posted, but Gladiator was never offered with the lighter "Heritage Tan" leather that came on 2018-19 JLs.

My friend and I just had this discussion yesterday bc I sent him the same link and was wondering why the leather looked so light.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
This! A thousand times this! See @JeepCares ? I'm not the only one who thinks Wranglers should have amber turn signals in the N. American market. Please let the powers that be know that we want amber turn signals. No more combined brake lights/turn signals.
eww. seriously. so gross.

Sponsored

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
orange lights on the back would look silly imo.

better?
They're not orange though. They're actually clear and the LED turns amber when the turn signal is activated. There's a picture of the Euro-spec Wrangler taillights earlier in this thread. The red part of the break light remains red. Besides, lots of cars and trucks (e.g. new Ram 1500's) have amber turn signals. I don't think they're gross at all. For me it's a safety issue.

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Thanks to the OP for posting this great information on the 2020 Wranglers! Good stuff!

The dark saddle is actually quite nice. Further, I am *stunned* that a dealer is discounting a Rubicon-trim Gladiator (link posted in an earlier post). I thought for sure those things would be marked UP not down.

I was hoping for a few changes to the 2020's but sadly it doesn't appear it'll happen. I was hoping for an alternate dash color on the Rubicons (personally, I love the darked-out dash in the Altitude trim), or some different wheel & tire options on the Sahara and Sport S. I'm a Rubicon buyer on a Sport budget :)
I fully agree, love the Jeep, hate the metallic red dash on the Rubi. Certain body colors come with a gray/silver dash. I'm waiting for the Sarge green paint to be available before I order and I'm really hoping it comes with the silver dash, and I'm guessing it will.

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it sounds like my Unicorn build for 2020 isn't possible: JLU Sport Altitude in Bikini (don't want body-color roof or fenders, so no Sahara Altitude), LED lights front & rear, 8.4" screen w/ Alpine, 2.0 Turbo w/ 6-speed manual (or diesel with 6-speed manual), Tow Package, proximity door entry, Steel Bumper Group, and with Rubicon-sized wheels/tires. Bummer...
Sponsored