The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler)

Jeb22

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (White)
I spoke to Rhino Rack about the leg heights. I was told that the RLT600 legs are 3.25"-3.5" high (I believe those are the quick release legs) The RCL600 legs are 1.5-1.75" high (These would be the low lock legs). I ordered the low leg rack and kit from Northridge. Some parts are being delivered tomorrow (pioneer platform) we will see how long the rest of the parts take (fingers crossed).

Jeb22

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (White)
Thanx for posting that up, gettin me more excited to get that thing here so I can get it installed!!

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I want to fasten my RTT directly to my Pioneer Platform (tent floor to platform/not cross bars). What bolt assembly will fit in the Platform tracks (manufacturer, SKU #, correct terminology, etc.)? I checked with Home Depot, etc. and could not locate any 'channel nut' etc. that would fit into the track.

Sponsored

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Wow. They’ve really put a lot of work into making this easy to do. I was very hesitant to get a rack that required drilling my hard top, but this just sealed it for me.
Seriously. Take my money!

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Does the backbone require the long platform or can the short platform be used with it so the Sunrider for hardtop can be used?

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Does the backbone require the long platform or can the short platform be used with it so the Sunrider for hardtop can be used?
You can use the short Pioneer rack no problem. That’s the route I’m going as well.

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
You can use the short Pioneer rack no problem. That’s the route I’m going as well.
So to run this configuration you'd just be using the two rear rhinorack mounts? Is the spacing of the crossbars on the short platform the same as the rear and middle on the long platform or do you need to modify the short platform to relocate one of the crossbars like Maximus-3 requires?

Are you even gonna install the front rhino mounts to have the option for the long platform? I already ordered the long platform but now I kind of want to try the short one...

fuelxc

First Name
Eric Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Rubi
I am looking at getting a rack for my JLU Hardtop. I LOVE the look of the Maximus but I like removing my top when I go crawling. I also don't need more than 300# load as I am not rooftop camping (right now). I do want to be able to attach a batwing awning.

What racks fit the bill? if the Maximus does and isn't hard to remove it and the top, then yay.

I found this:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock4x4-jeep-wrangler-full-length-roof-rack-j130926-jl.html

and that seems like a decent compromise.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CDP2307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I’m wondering if the Rhino Rack Backbone system is able to carry a RRT. I called their hotline and they said the static load capacity is 650 lbs.
Is 650 lbs enough for a RRT, two adults and dogs? The cross weight, including some luggage, will be close to 600 lbs, so pretty close to the maximum capacity.
What is the experience here in the forum?

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
So interested in Rhino rack, but since I just installed my Harken hoist in my garage, wondering how much more weight this adds to the top? I'd hate to not have the quick ability to remove top with hoist...I guess I could remove roof rack, then use hoist...but looking to avoid more work if it isn't required.

I think working load limit is 145 lbs...not sure of total weight of new JLU hard top - I think it is about 90...

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
So interested in Rhino rack, but since I just installed my Harken hoist in my garage, wondering how much more weight this adds to the top? I'd hate to not have the quick ability to remove top with hoist...I guess I could remove roof rack, then use hoist...but looking to avoid more work if it isn't required.

I think working load limit is 145 lbs...not sure of total weight of new JLU hard top - I think it is about 90...
The platform plus the brackets probably adds another 60+ pounds of weight. My plan is to remove the platform before removing the top.

There are two different types of feet available, the standard feet bolt into the mounting brackets, so you could remove the platform by removing those 6 bolts (1 per foot). The upgraded quick-release feet though just have a simple locking mechanism that you squeeze to unlock and then the platform lifts right off. I opted for the standard feet because they have a lower profile than the quick release feet (~2" vs ~3.5" I think) but I may swap to the quick release feet if removing the top proves to be a pain.

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
I’m wondering if the Rhino Rack Backbone system is able to carry a RRT. I called their hotline and they said the static load capacity is 650 lbs.
Is 650 lbs enough for a RRT, two adults and dogs? The cross weight, including some luggage, will be close to 600 lbs, so pretty close to the maximum capacity.
What is the experience here in the forum?
Lots of people are running roof top tents on the JK backbone system which I believe has the same or even slightly lower load rating as the JL backbone. I haven't stumbled across a post by anyone who broke their top because they exceeded the load capacity of the JK backbone, though maybe someone out there has managed to do it.

650lbs is less than 2.5x the stated dynamic load rating, but the rule of thumb I most often see is 3x. Going with 3x would put the static rating closer to 800lbs. Maybe RR is being overly conservative in what they tell people simply for liability reasons.

CDP2307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Cool, thank you for the insides. I wasn’t aware of the 3x dynamic rule of thumb, but it will let me sleep better - especially in the tent.
I’m waiting right now for the delivery and hope it will be here till next Wednesday. We want to try it the following weekend.
Did someone already received the JLU backbone system?
Sponsored