42circle

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all! I am doing a road trip at the beginning august and was hoping for some advice or a guide for a day or two in Moab. I really want to take my family up to the Top of the World. Right now my '18 JLUR is stock but I'm hoping to have it 2 inches higher on 35s by the time we do the trip.
Sponsored

Watchthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
We were there in May and I used Trailsoffroad.com on my iPad. They have waypoints, photos, and videos of a lot of the trails. Most trails are marked fairly well but a little common sense goes along ways. Everyone we talked to was helpful and if you stopped on the side of the trail for anything they would always ask if everything was okay.

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Stop by Barlow Adventures in town and I can help with trail advice, maps and help you find a guide.

OP
OP
42circle

42circle

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stop by Barlow Adventures in town and I can help with trail advice, maps and help you find a guide.
Absolutely will do thank you! I'm super stoked to get out there and explore. Still working on getting the Jeep ready for the trip.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Hi all! I am doing a road trip at the beginning august and was hoping for some advice or a guide for a day or two in Moab. I really want to take my family up to the Top of the World. Right now my '18 JLUR is stock but I'm hoping to have it 2 inches higher on 35s by the time we do the trip.

Pick up the Funtreks book from Amazon (print or digital). It’ll lay out all the trails in the area and explain how to navigate them.

Sponsored

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
We'll be there in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. I must admit, I'm a bit nervous coming from the flatlands of Minneapolis. I've done a few trails in the Boulder and Colorado Springs area, but still seeing some of the pictures might make me a wee bit bum clenchy.

I found a Facebook group called "Moab Friends for Wheelin'" so I might see if there is anyone running trails when we're there.

We for sure will stop by! I hope this offer extends to others. Ha.

If you give me dates I can head over and show you around.
We will be there July 23-25th, if you're bored.

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
We'll be there in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. I must admit, I'm a bit nervous coming from the flatlands of Minneapolis. I've done a few trails in the Boulder and Colorado Springs area, but still seeing some of the pictures might make me a wee bit bum clenchy.

I found a Facebook group called "Moab Friends for Wheelin'" so I might see if there is anyone running trails when we're there.

We for sure will stop by! I hope this offer extends to others. Ha.

We will be there July 23-25th, if you're bored.
Yea, absolutely, stop by and check in. We love helping folks no matter if they're renting or just visiting. Also, check out the Red Rock 4 Wheeler's site at http://www.rr4w.com for trail descriptions and ratings.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
We did top of the world during EJS and there was a stock JL in the group. I don't remember him having problems. I remember watching a YouTube video of a grand Cherokee trailhawk doing it.

OP
OP
42circle

42circle

First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you everyone for the responses! We will are getting the August 4 and then Heading onto Bryce/Zion on August 8th. I second @baggio16 I wheel a bit around here in SD, there are plenty of relatively easy fire/CBP roads, but unfortunately its usually impromptu day trips so I am mostly by myself and have to keep it pretty tame.

Full disclosure top of the world is my main focus because I plan on proposing to my longtime girlfriend when we are at the top though now I am a little concerned because she watched a video of the trail (she knows I want to do the trail not the proposal part) and had a freak-out when she saw the jeep poses at the top.

I am going to be ordering the book tonight.

@5280Sapper thanks man that's a really nice offer. What branch did you serve in?

Any recommendations for a GPS app or something to help me navigate? Not just MOAB but in general because google maps failed me the other weekend in big bear.

Sponsored

bilcol81

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Retired
We did Top of the World in 2010 with our stock Sahara. I don't know how much it's changed but you should have no problem. We did stack rocks occasionally to get up some of the higher steps. Make sure your a/c is working well!!! Have fun!!
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
We did Top of the World in 2010 with our stock Sahara. I don't know how much it's changed but you should have no problem. We did stack rocks occasionally to get up some of the higher steps. Make sure your a/c is working well!!! Have fun!!
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG
Read this and think about doing it in 90 to 100 temps alone with loved ones then plan and prepare accordingly. Barlow’s can give you some great advice, without a spotter in a few places it can be stressful but doable.

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
Any recommendations for a GPS app or something to help me navigate? Not just MOAB but in general because google maps failed me the other weekend in big bear.
For me, Gaia is the best. I have all the areas downloaded ahead of time, so no need for service in the middle of nowhere. There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, it's pretty invaluable. I used it up to Alaska last year and past the Arctic Circle and didn't run into any issues.

Here's a link to a decent tutorial video:

Also, I carry a Garmin Inreach (do a lot of hiking on these trips). It allows family and friends to track you and I check in every night so everybody knows I'm safe. Ha.

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Read this and think about doing it in 90 to 100 temps alone with loved ones then plan and prepare accordingly. Barlow’s can give you some great advice, without a spotter in a few places it can be stressful but doable.
I was there in March ahead of EJS2019. We actually took it off our recommended trail list because the obstacles had gotten pretty big and any inexperienced Jeepers would find it a bit difficult (we try to mitigate damage as much as possible). That being said, I was able to traverse with no issues, minor scraping and just one or two places where I engaged lockers for a short stint. Our Rubicons (at Barlow) are lifted 2" on 35" MTs.

The RZRs have really dug out the base of the obstacles now and there's no go-arounds like other trails. Take it slow, spot the hardest stuff.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
To everyone that replied above - thanks for info. I ordered the Funtrek book. I will be there about mid September. I am driving from the Seattle area to Nevada to visit some cousins, then over to Moab for a day or two, then down to San Antonio and Corpus Christi where I will meet up with my wife and daughter and spend a few days with my son in CC. Then drive back to Seattle - with a detour to Monument Valley and up through Moab. A two week road trip. Plan to do some nights in a camp ground along the way.

Has anyone stayed at any of the camp grounds around Moab that they would recommend?

Thanks.
Sponsored