Non-LED to LED Fender Light Question

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I just bought some LED Fender lights to replace my Non-LED fender lights. I have not pulled my fender apart to double check yet, but The guy I bought them from said that I would need to get a different wiring harness to plug them into. I have searched Google and I can't find any info on the wire harness that I would need.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Thanks!
How much did you buy them for? I’m looking at some OEM ones but don’t know what is a fair offer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jcarrig3

Jcarrig3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
How much did you buy them for? I’m looking at some OEM ones but don’t know what is a fair offer.
I paid 250 for the pair. however, I have seen other people selling them for 150.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jcarrig3

Jcarrig3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
I ended up making my own by finding the plastic connectors and pins. It isn't perfect since the small white connector doesn't have the locking tab to hold it in place and the harness doesn't have the seal. I used a Gerber baby food lid and silicone to seal the back of the lens where the harness comes in.

Anyway here are the parts that I used to make mine...

SmartSelect_20190608-080250_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20190608-080328_Chrome.jpg

View attachment 194174

SmartSelect_20190608-080219_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20190608-080153_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20190608-080348_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
Jcarrig3

Jcarrig3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Here is the OEM wire connector and the explanation of what the wires do. I don't recall what sequence the wires are in at the black connection. Otherwise I would have posted that too.

I tied the park/marker wire wire into the side marker light's positive wire.

SmartSelect_20190620-101830_Messenger.jpg

Kuzco83

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I just bought a pair of OEM fender led lights from another member but having issues installing it. Does the whole fender need to come off? I was hoping I could install it by only removing the fender liner. If anyone has and install guide I would really love to take a look. Thanks!

OP
OP
Jcarrig3

Jcarrig3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
I just bought a pair of OEM fender led lights from another member but having issues installing it. Does the whole fender need to come off? I was hoping I could install it by only removing the fender liner. If anyone has and install guide I would really love to take a look. Thanks!
You can do it without removing the whole fender flare. The hardest part of the whole process was getting the little plastic cover below the light, under the fender liner pulled down to get the light out.

Unfortunately I don't have an install guide for you.

Kuzco83

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
You can do it without removing the whole fender flare. The hardest part of the whole process was getting the little plastic cover below the light, under the fender liner pulled down to get the light out.

Unfortunately I don't have an install guide for you.
Great, glad to know it can be done :). I’ll keep trying but will order new plastic fasteners as some of them have broken. Thanks for confirming! I’ll have to give it a shot again later on when I have free time.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Great, glad to know it can be done :). I’ll keep trying but will order new plastic fasteners as some of them have broken. Thanks for confirming! I’ll have to give it a shot again later on when I have free time.
It can be done I have done it several times. You have to take out the forward most plastic rivet in the outer edge of the flare and there are four 10mm bolts in the liner, two are easy to see and two are in recesses in the front section of the liner. There is a 8mm screw in the front that needs to come out too. Pull the front section of the liner loose. With the bolts out you can pull the front of the flare out enough to lower the front flap.

There is a brace behind the light that has to come out. Use a t27 torx to remove the four screws holding the brace in, one holds the side marker in and the others screw to the light. The forward most plastic rivet is also attached to this brace. After that is out it’s just four more t27 torx screws holding the light in. Oh and it is held in with double stick tape at the top edge of the light too, pull down on the light from the top to release it. Reverse to install the leds.

hth
Gregj

Kuzco83

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
It can be done I have done it several times. You have to take out the forward most plastic rivet in the outer edge of the flare and there are four 10mm bolts in the liner, two are easy to see and two are in recesses in the front section of the liner. There is a 8mm screw in the front that needs to come out too. Pull the front section of the liner loose. With the bolts out you can pull the front of the flare out enough to lower the front flap.

There is a brace behind the light that has to come out. Use a t27 torx to remove the four screws holding the brace in, one holds the side marker in and the others screw to the light. The forward most plastic rivet is also attached to this brace. After that is out it’s just four more t27 torx screws holding the light in. Oh and it is held in with double stick tape at the top edge of the light too, pull down on the light from the top to release it. Reverse to install the leds.

hth
Gregj
Excellent, thanks for the thorough walk through! I’ll attempt that later this week. :)

Alasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Did
I just bought some LED Fender lights to replace my Non-LED fender lights. I have not pulled my fender apart to double check yet, but The guy I bought them from said that I would need to get a different wiring harness to plug them into. I have searched Google and I can't find any info on the wire harness that I would need.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

Thanks!
I’m just wondering if you were able to make your LED turn signals to work

OP
OP
Jcarrig3

Jcarrig3

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Did

I’m just wondering if you were able to make your LED turn signals to work
Yes, I had to make my own wire harness though.

rockryno

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
anyone know if the dealer needs to add a code to the vin during the reflash?
Sponsored