multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
my AA works (sometimes) via BT, no idea why only sometimes.
We moved away from Apple products due to the fact they make major changes all the time, I love that with Android I can control the phone I own.
I hear you, this is why I jailbreak my iPhones and have been doing so since about 2009. Back then I think I jailbroke to get copy/paste functionality, among other things (I can barely remember). Now I pretty much just use it for a true file explorer, torrents, and emulators. Apple has done a good job stealing implementing design features from the jailbreak scene, making it almost unnecessary, but they'll never relinquish complete control.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Honestly the only thing I want is to be able to mirror what is on my iPhone. Specifically Gaia. I want to be able to see offline Topo mapping on the 8.4" screen.

TylerR

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Honestly the only thing I want is to be able to mirror what is on my iPhone. Specifically Gaia. I want to be able to see offline Topo mapping on the 8.4" screen.
So I believe there’s a workaround, but for google maps. You can download offline maps, then go on your computer and add map layers to my maps. If it will accept gpx files we’re in business. Biggest downside I see is you just need to make sure you plan ahead for what trails you’re doing. I haven’t tried it yet, but I will soon.
https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3024836?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
This sounds like a good idea to me.

Separately I have seen folks who carry an iPad in order to get this type of implementation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Columbus104

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
It’s pretty cool...
689D4C8B-4336-4230-BA28-4AA7CBC5BAA2.jpeg
Have you been experiencing significant issues getting the beta to connect? Mine only works approx 20% of the time, forcing me to constantly unplug and replug every time I get in the Jeep. I tried it in my wife’s car just to assure it isn’t an issue with my lighting cable or the Jeep, and had the same issue. Love the upgrade when it works, just annoying. I’m sure this is just one of the to-be-expected glitches that come from using a beta test version. Hopefully they push a new release soon that addresses this issue.

And btw, you drive a convertible buddy. Instead of cranking that AC all the way up on a 91-degree evening, just take that top off and enjoy some wind in your face. #EnvironmentalistJeepers ;)

Matt550

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal & 2017 Ford Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Have you been experiencing significant issues getting the beta to connect? Mine only works approx 20% of the time, forcing me to constantly unplug and replug every time I get in the Jeep. I tried it in my wife’s car just to assure it isn’t an issue with my lighting cable or the Jeep, and had the same issue. Love the upgrade when it works, just annoying. I’m sure this is just one of the to-be-expected glitches that come from using a beta test version. Hopefully they push a new release soon that addresses this issue.

And btw, you drive a convertible buddy. Instead of cranking that AC all the way up on a 91-degree evening, just take that top off and enjoy some wind in your face. #EnvironmentalistJeepers ;)
I’ve had many issues with connecting to UConnect (CarPlay). For me I’d say it only works 5% of the time. But in the other hand, it works 90% of the time on Sync 3 in my ‘17 Mustang. Must be different between cars.
But, like you said, to-be-expected beta issues.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
These features will be free for anyone using an iPhone released in the past 5-6 years.
Just so people with older devices don't get their hopes too high . . . it's my understanding that the 6S/6S Plus is the oldest device that iOS 13 will officially support (so more like 4 years); those with the ~6 year old 5C/5S are more likely SOL. This probably has a very small impact as the majority of my iFriends have the newest device in their hands within a week or 2 of a new release; also, and this is just me guessing with no statistical data to substantiate, I'm guessing Jeep JL owners using Carplay are more likely early (or earlier) adapters and therefore tend to have the later models anyway.

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
From a design and usability stand point Apple Car Play is far superior to Android Auto. I switched from an iPhone to a Google Pixel 3 for a little over a year so I've spent ample time with both platforms. I'm excited to see how the new Car Play works out. Comparatively, I found myself taking longer to perform tasks on the screen with Android Auto thus more time with my eyes off the road. Apple's design sensibility has always been superb and in this case I think it's safer.

OP
OP
Columbus104

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I’ve had many issues with connecting to UConnect (CarPlay). For me I’d say it only works 5% of the time. But in the other hand, it works 90% of the time on Sync 3 in my ‘17 Mustang. Must be different between cars.
Make sure you update your iPhone. They pushed a new version of the Beta. So far it seems to be much improved. I've been driving around for 2 days and only have one disconnect. Fingers crossed!

Interesting you were able to get it to work in a Ford. I tried it in my wife's '17 Escape and it was the same as my Wrangler. Who knows, that's the weirdness that comes with beta versions.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Is there any chance of Carplay working over Bluetooth?
Nope, the Jeep doesn't have the encryption chip needed to run over Bluetooth. Wired only unless Apple changes policies drastically.

They don't want Bluetooth and non-encrypted as someone could hijack the connection from a nearby vehicle.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Connection is fixed in the Beta 3 released earlier this week. Works fine on my JLUR now.

Also FCA has a Uconnect PCM update that you need for reliable connections even pre iOS 13.

Prozac

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Are you using the USB in the Center console. I posted about this a while back. I had to switch to the front one, works perfect. In the center console, it would drop constantly.

Prozac

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
The beta is working for me, I like the new split screen. My understanding of using Google Maps or Waze on the new multi-app screen is they haven't been given access to the beta builds to test in yet. I suspect we will see them later once they get to update their own apps or in 13.x updates. The only issue I have seen consistently is Apple Music. In Radio channels using the skip seems to just play the same track every other time meaning you have to skip, and then skip again to get it to advance to a new track. Podcasts have been playing fine though using the built in app. Haven't loaded spotify or anything else on the beta device yet.
Outside of the car, I'm looking forward to the verbal texting while using AirPods. Like when you are in the car, you will get the option to have the text read to you, and give a response without interacting with the phone itself. I run and ride using the airpods and will look forward to that feature.

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Connection is fixed in the Beta 3 released earlier this week. Works fine on my JLUR now.

Also FCA has a Uconnect PCM update that you need for reliable connections even pre iOS 13.
What's a PCM update? Is this a over-the-air update?
Sponsored