Aftermarket parts fitting both JK and JL Wrangler

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
What aftermarket parts do you guys think will fit both the JK and JL (per Jeep dealer's meeting)?

I'm so excited that I've been planning mods for weeks now hoping I can buy some parts on day 1. :jk:
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
This is the one thing I don't quite understand. With completely different powertrains and transmissions, a totally redesigned interior, and a different windshield angle, I'm not sure how anything except bumpers and maybe adjustable control arms and trackbars from the JK would work on a JL. General bolt-on stuff isn't really specific to the JK as it is the Wrangler as a whole, but aside from the overall shape of the vehicle, they've changed just about everything.

Swartz2017

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango, 2016 Cherokee 75th
Got a nice set of Steinjager tube doors from my '13 JKU- would love for them to work with the new JLU, but. It holding my breathe due to hinge design, door opening and a myriad of other issues.
Hopefully I can still use my CB and fire stick! Lol

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I've been thinking about this as well. Another question I have is how long does it take for companies to have aftermarket products ready if they have to modify their JK design to fit the JL. Seems like a lift might be simpler if the suspension doesn't get messed with too much. Fender flares will be a full redesign from the looks of it. Are we talking a couple of months for things to be available?

Pete

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2014 GC Limited with a Hemi
I've been thinking about this as well. Another question I have is how long does it take for companies to have aftermarket products ready if they have to modify their JK design to fit the JL. Seems like a lift might be simpler if the suspension doesn't get messed with too much. Fender flares will be a full redesign from the looks of it. Are we talking a couple of months for things to be available?

Pete
No need to overthink. Most parts will not be transferrable. Chinese firms can design new parts in about 48 hours. I'm sure the November SEMA show in Las Vegas will be swamped with JL after market parts, with the JL playing a prominent part in the show.

Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
The underbody pics from JL prototypes looks like the suspension is very similar to the JK so it's possible aftermarket JK lift kits could also work on the JL.

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
No need to overthink. Most parts will not be transferrable. Chinese firms can design new parts in about 48 hours. I'm sure the November SEMA show in Las Vegas will be swamped with JL after market parts, with the JL playing a prominent part in the show.
Not according to the dealer meeting OP referenced which supposedly is what FCA communicated to dealers. Since most of the modifications people make to the JK are exterior and from what we have seen the JL looks very similar to the JK it would not surprise me if most of the aftermarket parts fit out of the box. Just because fender flares and such are redesigned doesn't mean they don't still bolt on in the same way and location.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
I just bought safari straps for my JKU, which I plan to keep another 2-3 years assuming it holds out that long. So I would like to see them be transferrable (assuming THEY last 2-3 years, but they better, they were not cheap). Been holding off on buying soft doors, which I really want to buy, but waiting to see if they will be transferrable. Finding it hard to believe that they will be.

OP
OP
Jabs

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope you're right... But every time I've bought a new car I had to wait at least 6 months to get quality products that would work. Since the wrangler is the most modified car on the planet hoping that time will be reduced.

Would be smart if Jeep shared the dimensions and placement with aftermarket companies. Apple does this with iPhone for cases.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I would normally agree with you on this, but since the JL won't be revealed till after SEMA I fear this won't be the case. The only thing that might change that is if FCA sent out CAD files though SEMA, but made people sign NDAs on them till after the release. This would totally suck for those aftermarket companies as they would have most likely been make the JL Wrangler their show centerpiece and can no longer do that since the reveal is roughly 3 weeks later.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Back to OPs question. Based on the photos of the frame I would say some shocks and suspension components. What I'm really curious about is the wheels and if the bolt patterns are the same and similar offsets work.

OP
OP
Jabs

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back to OPs question. Based on the photos of the frame I would say some shocks and suspension components. What I'm really curious about is the wheels and if the bolt patterns are the same and similar offsets work.
They would be wise to have the bolts pattern match up!

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
I'm sure the wheels will be the same bolt pattern and similar if not identical offset/backspacing.

My original guess was that most/all short arm suspensions will carry over, however, the rear LCAs are bent, similar to the front arms, vs being straight like the JK's (I wonder if they're actually interchangeable front to rear now...), so just right there there couldn't be 100% carry-over of a JK suspension kit.

I think front/rear bumpers will be interchangeable between JK and JL. I wouldn't be surprised if tube doors were interchangeable as well.

edit: And we've already seen that the rear trackbar will be different than the JK's, so that's another suspension component that wouldn't be a direct carry-over. In some photos it looks as if rocker guards could potentially carry over, both frame and body mounted, but then other photos it doesn't look like that would be the case...

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
I would normally agree with you on this, but since the JL won't be revealed till after SEMA I fear this won't be the case. The only thing that might change that is if FCA sent out CAD files though SEMA, but made people sign NDAs on them till after the release. This would totally suck for those aftermarket companies as they would have most likely been make the JL Wrangler their show centerpiece and can no longer do that since the reveal is roughly 3 weeks later.
Yea I'd be surprised if we saw much if any JL stuff at SEMA this year. Before Manley announced the LA Autoshow reveal I thought Jeep might even debut the JL at SEMA since the show has gotten so big and the Wrangler is the star of the show year after year. FCA's MOPAR section is also huge.

I bet JK wheels bolt right up on the JL.
Sponsored