Sponsored

37’s steering wear / issues

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Read everything under the sun on upgrading to 37’s. Never saw anything on issues with steering box, tie rods,etc. with the increase in tire size this puts a lot of stress on the steering components. Wondering if anyone had steering box issues or other components. If you did then did you add ram assist? Or do something else?
Sponsored

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Ram assist will take some of the pressure off the drag link and sector shaft. But isn't necessary. It will make steering easier, especially on trails when shoved into rocks and you're using a lot of muscle to turn the wheel. I see no needs for upgrades here until something breaks.

OP
OP
Twistedfab

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ram assist will take some of the pressure off the drag link and sector shaft. But isn't necessary. It will make steering easier, especially on trails when shoved into rocks and you're using a lot of muscle to turn the wheel. I see no needs for upgrades here until something breaks.
Lol. Wait for something to break. Prefer not to do that. I’ve built older jeeps with 39’s and without ram assist there was a lot of stress on the box. It would burn the steering oil and could potentially break the box off frame. I ask because I wanted to know if anyone noticed any symptoms that the standard box can handle it without issue.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I haven't shoved it into the crack on Gold Bar Rim, that's the last place I bent a drag link. But it seems fine to me.

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So far running stock steering components with beadlock 37's here and havent had any issues so far but I will be upgrading the tie-rod / drag link components as a precautionary very soon. No plans for ram assist but that could change eventually

Sponsored

silverbullet

First Name
Keaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 JLU Rubi
What do you air down to, and what kind of wheeling are we talking about here.

spies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
If you don't need hydro assist for 37s then you also don't need 37s in the first place.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
If you don't need hydro assist for 37s then you also don't need 37s in the first place.
Since when did NEED dictate Jeep purchases and upgrades?

I have just over 7000 miles with 37s and have no steering issues.

brianP

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What do you air down to, and what kind of wheeling are we talking about here.
I dont think you were specifically asking me but I can answer what I run, I normally run about 8 to 12 but have gone as low as 6 when needed in snow, I am a crawler not a rock bouncer and this is a daily driver so I tend to stay away from the buggy trails just because I need it to get me home and I stay out of the mud as much as humanly possible being on the east coast..

Dont get me wrong ram assist would be nice but so would a Hemi motor ;-) and thus far I havent had an issue where I couldnt steer on the rocks, as I mentioned that may change down the road as I work my way across the country wheeling different areas.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
LOLOLOLOLOL

I love comments from the NO AVATAR crowd.

AMEN

I run my rigs. https://www.instagram.com/offroadtreks/ Everything I did/do in the Wagon I'll be doing in the Jeep and more so since I bought it specifically for taking on harder trails and obstacles.

... I will be upgrading the tie-rod / drag link components as a precautionary very soon. No plans for ram assist but that could change eventually
Same here. Although I'm going to work on on skids now that lift is on. I need to armor up. But tie-rod/drag link from synergy is on my list. Hydro maybe later. It's one of those things I feel you can kick the can down the road. I don't see any issues presently. Guys are already running the Rubi and other aggressive trails with 37's and without and have no issues.

Probably gonna truss and do RCV's before then too.

Sponsored

spies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep

I have just over 7000 miles with 37s and have no steering issues.
Dont get me wrong ram assist would be nice but so would a Hemi motor ;-) and thus far I havent had an issue where I couldnt steer on the rocks, as I mentioned that may change down the road as I work my way across the country wheeling different areas.
LOLOLOLOLOL

I love comments from the NO AVATAR crowd.

AMEN

I run my rigs. https://www.instagram.com/offroadtreks/ Everything I did/do in the Wagon I'll be doing in the Jeep and more so since I bought it specifically for taking on harder trails and obstacles.
I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything, tons of people run 37s and never off road or just do light trails that are passable on stock tires. In that case you will never have steering issues besides accelerated wear on rod ends and ball joints. But that was my point really, that you can't listen to most people who say you will be fine on 37s without hydro, because most people on 37s don't do anything that requires 37s in the first place. Same thing with people who say 37s are fine with dana 44s. Go take your rig with 37s and no hydro to johnson valley and run nightmare or FOH or outer limits and then tell me you are fine without a ram. Even running 35s on the "easier" trails out there like jackhammer you will have a tough time steering with the front axle locked and single digit psi in the tires. But with 37s it is impossible to steer. It isn't fun, nor safe.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything, tons of people run 37s and never off road or just do light trails that are passable on stock tires. In that case you will never have steering issues besides accelerated wear on rod ends and ball joints. But that was my point really, that you can't listen to most people who say you will be fine on 37s without hydro, because most people on 37s don't do anything that requires 37s in the first place. Same thing with people who say 37s are fine with dana 44s. Go take your rig with 37s and no hydro to johnson valley and run nightmare or FOH or outer limits and then tell me you are fine without a ram. Even running 35s on the "easier" trails out there like jackhammer you will have a tough time steering with the front axle locked and single digit psi in the tires. But with 37s it is impossible to steer. It isn't fun, nor safe.
Have you run these with 37's?

I will say the front CAD seems to be exploding on some people with 37's.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I did not have a problem with 37s at Windrock. Sure I will upgrade as stuff wears out. Out of the millions of Jeeps, very few will get off roaded like LiteBrites Jeep.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I replaced my drag link and tie rod with steer smart. Already had an RK track bar. It developed a wobble, not quite death wobble. Those fixed the wobble. The stock tie rod and drag link are toys, should have never put anything that light on a rubi.

I now have some popping off roading at high speed. Seems to at the pitman arm. I had zero steering box play when new and have at least a small amount now.

I am running 37x12.5 on dv8 bead locks, and wheel it at what I would consider moderate abuse. Meaning less than Brit and Kevin rougher on it than Brad. As far as you tube comparisons go.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I've only had the Jeep since May. And the last time I was in Moab was May. We go down there about 3 times a year. But I wheel about as hard as Brit & Kevin but also do a lot of what Brad does in-between (keeping with YouTube comparisons) and have more experience than LiteBright in terms of years wheeling. But mad props on their success with Youtube. That's a lot of hard work. Zero hate.

Anyhow, I manage to steer 8350lbs with basically an identical front end to the Rubi that weights 4x as much without issues. The only advantage I have with the PW is bigger axles. I'll be in Moab in Sept or Oct, and we'll be at Trail Hero and I am thinking of hitting the Rubicon here in August. So if I break something, I'll post up about it.

34456682_591553377880238_6537715045202132992_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fboi1-1.fna.fbcdn.jpg

If my buddies JK on 37's can manage without hydro just fine... what's your problem with steering exactly?

61584951_660810264342873_4333780043305223072_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fboi1-1.fna.fbcdn.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments