Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Runaway campers based out of Florida.

20150801_133238.jpg
Nice! Is that yours?

The Runaway is actually one of the ones we are considering. Maybe the Venturist or Navigator model. The other is the WeeRoll Off-road.

The Runaway Venturist is great, because it has trailer brakes. But the WeeRoll Off-Road is Aluminum. Both Companies are within a couple hundred miles of us. So, we'll have to look at both closely before we decide.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Is that yours?

The Runaway is actually one of the ones we are considering. Maybe the Venturist or Navigator model. The other is the WeeRoll Off-road.

The Runaway Venturist is great, because it has trailer brakes. But the WeeRoll Off-Road is Aluminum. Both Companies are within a couple hundred miles of us. So, we'll have to look at both closely before we decide.
Yea that's mine. We've had it since July 2015 and love it. This is the Navigator.

Here's a video walk around I did. Forgive the audio, it's all screwed up

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
His review is good (maybe) for someone who knows nothing about wranglers but is thinking about getting one. Really though you can tell he just doesn't get it. He's not a Jeep person (and that's fine). Suggesting a Renegade in place of a Wrangler?? Come on really? Not knocking the Renegade but it's geared to a very different audience.

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
When I go out camping or on a photography trip, I pull a small hard-sided pop-up trailer. I wanted something small, like a tear-drop, but also something I could stand up in. This is made by Aliner, but they don't make this model anymore. It folds flat when pulling, but it can be set up in less than 30 seconds. It weights less than 500 pounds, so my tow vehicle hardly knows it's there. Perfect for the 2-door Wrangler.
2014-09-27 Blue Lake Hike-0031.JPG

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
... This is made by Aliner, but they don't make this model anymore.
I like the sound of a sub 500lb camper. Awesome. I'm still looking at options and want something of a utility trailer that I can then convert to a camper as needed. Want to make trips to Home Depot or furniture stores when I'm not camping.

Sponsored

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
When I go out camping or on a photography trip, I pull a small hard-sided pop-up trailer. I wanted something small, like a tear-drop, but also something I could stand up in. This is made by Aliner, but they don't make this model anymore. It folds flat when pulling, but it can be set up in less than 30 seconds. It weights less than 500 pounds, so my tow vehicle hardly knows it's there. Perfect for the 2-door Wrangler.
Is it really less than 500 lbs.? It seems to me the frame and axle alone would be getting close to 500 lbs without any of the interior or top. The current "smallest, lightest" is 1225 lbs. http://aliner.com/campers/ranger-10/

Even the smallest Runaway comes in at 520 lbs. http://runawaycampers.com/models-prices

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
Is it really less than 500 lbs.? It seems to me the frame and axle alone would be getting close to 500 lbs without any of the interior or top. The current "smallest, lightest" is 1225 lbs. http://aliner.com/campers/ranger-10/

Even the smallest Runaway comes in at 520 lbs. http://runawaycampers.com/models-prices
^^^
The model I have is called the "Alite" and was even called the "Alite 400" because it only weighed 400 pounds dry. It's only a rolling tent, because it does not have any interior amenities such as a sink, stove, fridge ect. It's light enough I can push it around by hand in the backyard or campsite. You can do a google search for "Aliner Alite" to see some examples. Since Aliner doesn't make them anymore, the Alite is not listed on the Aliner website.

The photo below gives a little better perspective on how small it really is. When set up, I can sleep comfortably without feeling cramped.

2015-05-30 Yellowstone Day One 0081.jpg

VentTekk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Stock, 2017 GCTH Stock
Occupation
Live Operations Engineer
I'm getting a 2 Door. We already have a 4 door in the family, so another one isn't really needed. On the rare occasion that I might need to carry 3 other people and some gear, I can always add a cargo trail rack.

While it would be nice to have the space of a 4 door to sleep in when camping, it's too dang hot and mosquito infested in Florida to even consider that. We'll probably just tow a small off-road camping trailer with ac and a gen.
I tow a Rockwood 1640esp with my JKWW, works great with a break controller and load distribution. Camper is about 1700lbs dry.

WP_20170526_10_53_11_Rich.jpg
20170923_162024.jpg

jloyva

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Wrangler JL Sport S, Victory Touring Cruiser, Kia Sorento
Occupation
Project Manaager
^^^
The model I have is called the "Alite" and was even called the "Alite 400" because it only weighed 400 pounds dry. It's only a rolling tent, because it does not have any interior amenities such as a sink, stove, fridge ect. It's light enough I can push it around by hand in the backyard or campsite. You can do a google search for "Aliner Alite" to see some examples. Since Aliner doesn't make them anymore, the Alite is not listed on the Aliner website.

The photo below gives a little better perspective on how small it really is. When set up, I can sleep comfortably without feeling cramped.

2015-05-30 Yellowstone Day One 0081.jpg
Gotcha. I assumed there were the standard interior amenities.

After a search I even found one mention of it being a motorcycle camper. At 60" wide I'm not sure I'd want to tow it behind my bike. Not to mention that after cargo and passengers I would be waaay over the GVWR.

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Good idea.

Looking forward to soon seeing plenty of JLs.

There's a video of a 2-door review on YouTube. As with all previous 2-door generations, the trunk should sufficiently fit a briefcase. Perhaps 2.

If you neeeed cargo room and seating for 4 simultaneously, a 2 door won't really work.

I'm personally planning on putting my groceries in the backseat in my 2 door.
Sponsored