Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
  • Banned
Score another win for the dependable simple 3.6 with ESS. Like many here have been saying and predicting it looks like jeep finally figured out that all that complicated stuff and coolant lines running to the rear wasn’t a good idea on a off road vehicle like the Rubicon.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Score another win for the dependable simple 3.6 with ESS. Like many here have been saying and predicting it looks like jeep finally figured out that all that complicated stuff and coolant lines running to the rear wasn’t a good idea on a off road vehicle like the Rubicon.
V6 w/ the even simpler & more dependable "No ESS" would be even better!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The 2.0 T is losing BSG as well, except for the Sahara. FCA saw how the BSG would cost huge amounts in future warranty payouts, good for 8 years, 80,000 miles , under Federal Emissions requirements

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The 2.0 T is losing BSG as well, except for the Sahara. FCA saw how the BSG would cost huge amounts in future warranty payouts, good for 8 years, 80,000 miles , under Federal Emissions requirements
I assume, although stated as a fact, that this is actually just speculation on your part?

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
What is the factory warranty on ESS ??? Thanks

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
How does the "2.0 Turbo BSG discontinued in Rubicon" = "Score another win for the dependable simple 3.6 with ESS"?

They have nothing to do with each other.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It's interesting to see you spew off all this 2.0L hatred on this and many other threads. Can I ask why? You obviously had a choice and bought a JL with your choice of engine but what makes what others choose something that concerns you so heavily?

I drive a 2.0L Rubi with BSG and yes I admit it's a complex setup but technology is not something that concerns me. Sure, over time it might be a repair nightmare but if so the aftermarket will find a way forward. For now I enjoy the 22 MPG around town and 27 MPG on the highway that the 2.0L gets me; while not feeling like a slug due to the BSG off the line.

It amazes me that the Jeep community is so polarizing with an abundance of grumpy old luddites and self-professed-experts.

Enjoy your Jeep.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Maybe they work at a factory that produces 3.6L engines lol.

The 2.0T is still an option on the Sport and Rubicon, just without the eTorque system. :) I'm curious how the gas mileage compares! If it still gets good gas mileage I wonder what the point is.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Maybe they work at a factory that produces 3.6L engines lol.

The 2.0T is still an option on the Sport and Rubicon, just without the eTorque system. :) I'm curious how the gas mileage compares! If it still gets good gas mileage I wonder what the point is.
All I can tell you is when driving in extreme heat of freeway stop and go (love the DC area and the 495 traffic) and BSG will declare itself temporality unavailable due to charge it's a completely different vehicle to drive. Much less snappy from a dead stop or even slight roll. For this reason I feel the BSG adds quite a bit of grunt to the low end.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect that the engine rpm profile for rock crawling doesn't provide enough recharging for the BSG system. Street driving is an entirely different profile where the battery system gets plenty of charge. 1-5mph in the rocks, engaging the BSG's torque over and over would be a drain which would give the alternator a big challenge to overcome.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but that's the only thing that would make sense with what I know about how it is supposed to work.

The BSG in the 3.6 produces 90 foot pounds of torque, which is significant, and that requires a lot of juice. That's why they require a beefed up battery system.

Without the BSG, no worries about that because the power draw is easily outmatched by the charge, even at idle.

Again, this is all just an educated guess. No way is it a marketing thing and while more complex, it is still a relatively simple system compared to typical hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and full electric drive trains.

OP
OP
Solidaxle

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
How does the "2.0 Turbo BSG discontinued in Rubicon" = "Score another win for the dependable simple 3.6 with ESS"?

They have nothing to do with each other.
It's interesting to see you spew off all this 2.0L hatred on this and many other threads. Can I ask why? You obviously had a choice and bought a JL with your choice of engine but what makes what others choose something that concerns you so heavily?

I drive a 2.0L Rubi with BSG and yes I admit it's a complex setup but technology is not something that concerns me. Sure, over time it might be a repair nightmare but if so the aftermarket will find a way forward. For now I enjoy the 22 MPG around town and 27 MPG on the highway that the 2.0L gets me; while not feeling like a slug due to the BSG off the line.

It amazes me that the Jeep community is so polarizing with an abundance of grumpy old luddites and self-professed-experts.

Enjoy your Jeep.
What’s interesting is this is the 3.6 forum we’re allowed to discuss things like this here
Question : why would a 2.0 owner come to a 3.6 thread?
It seems to me the 2.0 fan boys got a little upset because now they have a unicorn parts replacement nightmare and they’re trying to justify their purchase by coming yelling and screaming in the 3.6 forum. like you said they have nothing to do with each other.
We all have our opinions you have yours, I have mine. yours is no more valid than mine, you’re a 2.0 fan boy I’m a 3.6 fan boy so go to the 2.0 fourms and you can give yourselves high fives on having a limited Fiat 2.0 pos. We 3.6 lovers can do the same.
I love my 3.6 , if you love your 2.0 As much as you claim why would you care what I have to say in the 3.6 forum ?

OP
OP
Solidaxle

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Doesn’t it seem a little odd that when the 2.0 turbo came out that’s all you could get on the dealer lots, Dealers could not order the v6 only the 2.0. I remember threads where people were saying all Rubicon’s only had the 2.0 . I had to special order my 3.6. If feels like jeep knew there was something going on but they committed to making so many of those motors and they forced them on people to get rid of them. It happened before with Renault. I would not want to own a discontinued Fiat turbo motor 10 years from now. Good luck with parts and resale.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think there is a problem at all with the 2.0. You realize FCA puts it in other vehicles, right? If I had the 2.0, I'd be perfectly happy with it and my bet is that it will be fine. I don't see any patterns of major problems. They appear to be off to a great start with reliability. I think FCA is fine tuning the engine lineup in the Wrangler, that's all. That happens from model year to model year, especially with real world experience. The BSG/Etorque is an add on, so the 2.0 and 3.6 remain whether it has that or not. The 2.0 will be around for awhile. If you haven't driven one, do so and it might surprise you.

As for the 3.6, I like the simplicity in the non-BSG version, especially with the manual. It has plenty of power for everything I've done with it, including Moab and lots of trailer towing. I do think the 90 ft lbs of torque with the BSG would elevate it to a whole different level, though. I just don't think it works well with rock crawling. We'll see, though. I could be way off on why it isn't in the Rubi for 2020.

OP
OP
Solidaxle

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
There is definitely one upside, the 2.0 turbo guys big bragging point was they didn’t have a motorcycle battery , they would say I’m not buying that 3.6 it has a motorcycle battery. well guess what for 2020 the 2.0 turbo gets the motorcycle battery. Ha ha
Sponsored