Sponsored

Blind Spot Monitoring confirmed for 2018 Wrangler (photos)

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I'm not sure if I'm alone here or not, but I don't want to worry about all the stuff evolved in having a blind spot system. Hopefully Jeep can make the system simple and decent, but adding more fancy things to a Wrangler worries me.
Sponsored

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Singer of Sentimental Ballads
I'm POSITIVE someone thought about the mirror placement especially with this new option.

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
I'm POSITIVE someone thought about the mirror placement especially with this new option.
So what you are saying is that it will not be door mounted? Hint, hint?

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Saying that many of the hang ups with the current configuration are things that are well known and the new configuration takes care of a lot of the things that people nit picked. And that are true, "why didn't you do this" objections.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Issue that would be nice to be addressed, but don't seem to have been with the test mules, and likely aren't with production models.

• Mirror bangs hood when doors are unhinged if you're not careful (hasn't happened to me, but seen it enough that it's first pre-wmptive act when unhooking.
  • Wire loom is a pain in the a$$ to unhook and deal with when removing doors
  • Door articulation is hampered by need for fabric retention system and by fear of damaging wiring loom.
  • Mirrors on doors mean they need to be relocated and replaced when doors are removed.
  • Wires inside doors add weight when removing, not much but hey if every lb counts for MPG, then lets help the ladies help us removing doors.. and also weak dudes like me.. because.. wires are heavy.:whew:
  • Less fragility / repairs when wires are in a fixed location on a pillar and hidden in body structure exiting from interior or engine bay.
  • Slightly forward and elevated position may make farside turn-signalling on mirror extremeties/back visible to vehicles at intersections, etc. whereas now they are more obstructed by the vehicle body.

The only two drawback in a-pillar are change of view (slightly less coverage unless they stick out more) , and less door articulation, which most people never use fully anyways, before they would be block by mirror structure, and if poorly designed swinging doors with mirrors in way could break windows, but I'm sure that would be accounted for.

I highly doubt most issues, have been addressed, but I'm fairly confident that Wrangler owners can figure out how to make it work regardless of configuration.

Heck, regardless of mirror placement, I'd just be happy if the doors now were able to keep themselves open/ajar on a slight slope vs their desire to either fling open or close themselves while you load/unload or re-arrange the Jeep.

Sponsored

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A Blind Spot Monitoring System (BSM) has also been confirmed by the photos which revealed the JL's tail lights!

The triangle indicator seen in the side view mirrors will illuminate when it detects a vehicle in the blind spot. Description of BSM from the Grand Cherokee:

The available Blind Spot Monitoring System helps you make safer lane changes by alerting you when a vehicle enters your blind spot zone. Sensors scan approximately one lane over on each side. When a sensor detects a vehicle in the blind spot zone, you can program it to alert you with an illuminated icon in the corresponding exterior mirror and an audible chime.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-BlindSpotMonitoring-1.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-BlindSpotMonitoring.jpg

safety_blind.png
why would rubicon side mirror sensor lights stay on after taking the Rubicon out of four-wheel-drive. No dirt on sensors anywhere

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Technician
why would rubicon side mirror sensor lights stay on after taking the Rubicon out of four-wheel-drive. No dirt on sensors anywhere
Did you add the BSM on your JL or did you buy it with it. I’m really Interested in adding this feature to my 2019 Sahara I have led lights but I wonder if I have to also change the side view mirrors

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2015 200S AWD
Did you add the BSM on your JL or did you buy it with it. I’m really Interested in adding this feature to my 2019 Sahara I have led lights but I wonder if I have to also change the side view mirrors
You'll need the mirrors but you'll also need the proper taillights w/ the BSM function included. The proper lights will have a blank gray/black area with no texture. The radar has trouble seeing through too much texture on a surface. This is why they're typically behind the rear fascia on passenger vehicles.

Reactions: Dom

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician
You'll need the mirrors but you'll also need the proper taillights w/ the BSM function included. The proper lights will have a blank gray/black area with no texture. The radar has trouble seeing through too much texture on a surface. This is why they're typically behind the rear fascia on passenger vehicles.
Thanks I’m only sorry I didn’t order it when I purchased my JL it going to take a lot of $$$ to have this done. At least I have the led’s And GPS. That was my main concern. Not to mention I also love that proximity remote entry maybe I Will settle for that upgrade thanks buddy

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2015 200S AWD
Thanks I’m only sorry I didn’t order it when I purchased my JL it going to take a lot of $$$ to have this done. At least I have the led’s And GPS. That was my main concern. Not to mention I also love that proximity remote entry maybe I Will settle for that upgrade thanks buddy
I've made my living for 15 years packaging this technology for one of the first suppliers to offer it back in the day. Works very well but I wouldn't personally pay for it on a Wrangler. Glass coverage down the side is pretty open. It would have to be something pretty low (Fiat 124, etc) to miss it IMO. Now...I wish my Challenger had this. Blind spot on that car is awful.

Instead try positioning the passenger door mirror such that in an average driving position, a quick glance over you shouldn't be able to see body side. Small lean and then you can. Can almost completely eliminate any blind spot on that side.

Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom Sahara JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Technician
I've made my living for 15 years packaging this technology for one of the first suppliers to offer it back in the day. Works very well but I wouldn't personally pay for it on a Wrangler. Glass coverage down the side is pretty open. It would have to be something pretty low (Fiat 124, etc) to miss it IMO. Now...I wish my Challenger had this. Blind spot on that car is awful.

Instead try positioning the passenger door mirror such that in an average driving position, a quick glance over you shouldn't be able to see body side. Small lean and then you can. Can almost completely eliminate any blind spot on that side.
Can’t argue with that. Thanks buddy

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
yes I have all the upgrades I could get.
its loaded.... LED package.
the only thing I didn't get was the early brake warning because it wasn't available when I ordered mine.

Reactions: Dom

2romes

First Name
2romes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
Has anyone installed Blind Spot Monitoring on 2018 jeep wrangler rubicon JL?
Sponsored