3.6L Engine noise with 15 miles.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
They said “A Rocker Arm”
Sounds legit.

The lifters and rockers have been simply a design flaw in the 3.6 Pentastar engine from the get go.

FCA tried damage control saying it was limited to “some” 2011-13 motors, but they’ve been an issue ever since even showing up on the Gen2 version.

I’d get it fixed and raise hell to get them to include a free extended warranty on the Jeep. Definitely push for the MaxCare coverage.
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah....if it were mine James I would let the dealer order the parts, and repair the rocker. In my old burned out mind I would be scared that the reason it stops is because it just wore into it's own little groove. Can't have that. Good luck

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
"A rocker arm"? No way, there's no rocker arms or pushrods in this engine! However, there are cam followers as this engine has overhead cams, not a cam living in the valley that depress the valves.

Is it possible that it's just the fuel injector clattering?

ekone

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, bone Stock sport
My tj has been reincarnated! Agree with taking it to the dealer and having them do a) fix it.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
That makes sense. I do know there is a TSB about these not seated properly or something to this effect. If it is driven it may do cam damage. (Maybe too late)

Sponsored

OP
OP

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for all the responses... will take it for a second opinion from a friend mechanic today and see whats up...

For those who have seen this issue, is the noise intermittent?

Thanks!
JC

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard a sound like this - it was a sticky injector, It was not intermittent but was replaced under warranty - new engine though?? Hmmm

OP
OP

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've heard a sound like this - it was a sticky injector, It was not intermittent but was replaced under warranty - new engine though?? Hmmm
Well the dealer mechanic just heard it but no diagnosis was made...

I suppose it could be an injector too and that would explain the intermittent noise... Was your noise exactly the same?

JC

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
My sister had a similar sound in her new Durango. Same motor. They diagnosed it and said there was a problem with the rockers. They had to fix all of them, but the sound went away and it runs great now. Just have the dealer fix it ASAP.

smores

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Sounds legit.

The lifters and rockers have been simply a design flaw in the 3.6 Pentastar engine from the get go.

FCA tried damage control saying it was limited to “some” 2011-13 motors, but they’ve been an issue ever since even showing up on the Gen2 version.

I’d get it fixed and raise hell to get them to include a free extended warranty on the Jeep. Definitely push for the MaxCare coverage.
Free extended warranty for something the factory warranty will cover? What?

Sponsored

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well the dealer mechanic just heard it but no diagnosis was made...

I suppose it could be an injector too and that would explain the intermittent noise... Was your noise exactly the same?

JC
Yup - same noise but not intermittent - it happened all the time once it started till the injector was replaced.

smores

First Name
Sammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Absolutely.
I don’t think you understand how a dealership works. The finance dept is not going to eat into the available gross of a deal JUST because the customer is upset. The car has a warranty. It’s now the service depts problem. Dealers don’t need to bend over for no reason.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don’t think you understand how a dealership works. The finance dept is not going to eat into the available gross of a deal JUST because the customer is upset. The car has a warranty. It’s now the service depts problem. Dealers don’t need to bend over for no reason.
Yep, complaining to the dealer won’t get anywhere. It’s FCA that would need to eat it.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Took it to the dealer, they were very helpful and told me they could do two things:

A) order parts and fix it.

B) put a few miles on the Jeep and it should disappear, they say they had a few hiccups like this in new engines and it goes away some time.

The noise does come and go for no apparent reason.

What do you guys think?
See if its coming from a noisy injector, use a LONG screwdriver held to your ear to pinpoint the noise & for Gods sake dont let hair or hands get caught up in any moving parts, I.E. fan belts, etc. Dealer should have been able to pinpoint the issue for you IMNSHO!
Sponsored