Sponsored

What side steps / rock rails to add to JL Wrangler?

Neohiofan

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I had 2 motors fail before a year was up. Replaced the control module 1x. Failed to deploy Due to magnets moving around. I fixed all these issues myself.

To me they were More hassle than they’re worth. They also were loud as hell when they closed. You could physically feel them close.

Mine were generation 1.5 if that helps. I’m not sure about the current generation. I would have to see new generation in person. I’d also see if things have improved a lot.

Also RSE was Quick to respond at first, not so much after the 2nd motor failure.

I currently have LoD steps on my JLUR. Not quite as low as the metal cloaks. No were near as low as the RSE ones.

RSE May have fixed all the bugs or I may have just got a Dud, or just unlucky lol... Many really like them and sing their praises. I would just research before you spend $$

Edit: my wife is short 5’2” and she preferred the metal cloaks. Just add some anti skid coating or tape to them.

Are the metalcloak solid enough for rock krawling?
Sponsored

Tgpj83

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
Do you guys know of any of the power steps void your warranty? I thought I read that somewhere on here.

1jlu2

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Installed the ROAM frame-mounted just over a week ago and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. Did quite a bit of research and these were the ones I kept coming back to over and over again. Also awesome group of guys over there so was an easy decision.

936C043C-8CBF-4D01-B508-F0DC0654FCF3.jpeg

26F09998-F714-4470-970B-250860E83FF9.jpeg

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
Installed LOD Destroyer sliders on the JLUR this morning. Installed solo, and it wasn't that bad. Did not have to mess with any of the body bolts in order to get proper fitment. These things are heavy and very well built. They stick out just enough that any idiot looking to ding my Jeep is going to pull back a dented door. Plan on going with LOD when it comes time to do front and rear bumpers as well.

LRM_EXPORT_74676330292461_20190704_085312881.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_74795153340107_20190704_085511704.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_74877761521202_20190704_085634312.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_74964427417294_20190704_085800978.jpeg

Sponsored

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
The LOD Destroyer sliders look really nice on your Rubi! The sliders' length and height fit the Rubi's flares very well!

I looked at the instructions on the LOD website. Please correct me if I'm wrong: While this is a FRAME-MOUNTED slider, it doesn't touch the body mount bolts that everyone has fretted (rightfully so) about. It apparently uses two bolts/studs on either side of those body mount bolts, plus a skid plate mounting bolt.

Is that a correct interpretation?

BTW, did you install the optional bolts for off-roading? One side apparently requires drilling a 9/16" hole through the frame, a task probably tough on most smaller household drills. Not sure how much this is necessary, as the frame-mounted design seems much stronger than the more common pinch-weld units.

Thanks!

MH

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
The LOD Destroyer sliders look really nice on your Rubi! The sliders' length and height fit the Rubi's flares very well!

I looked at the instructions on the LOD website. Please correct me if I'm wrong: While this is a FRAME-MOUNTED slider, it doesn't touch the body mount bolts that everyone has fretted (rightfully so) about. It apparently uses two bolts/studs on either side of those body mount bolts, plus a skid plate mounting bolt.

Is that a correct interpretation?

BTW, did you install the optional bolts for off-roading? One side apparently requires drilling a 9/16" hole through the frame, a task probably tough on most smaller household drills. Not sure how much this is necessary, as the frame-mounted design seems much stronger than the more common pinch-weld units.

Thanks!

MH
Install does not require removing the body mount bolts.

I did drill the two optional rear holes. I have not drilled the optional front passenger hole (yet). Not sure that any ot the optional holes are necessary for my planned use of the Jeep.

I love the way these mount up but stand away from the body of the Jeep. It will take a severe strike to cause any damage directly to the body.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Installed the Rock Hard 4x4 rocker guard - angled down. Very solid and the angled down works as a great step. They do require the removal of the body bolts. I had my local dealer remove the 2 front bolts and replace them with the Rock Hard supplied bolts. Dealer did the work for $30.

20190715_151250.jpg

20190715_151327.jpg

20190715_151350.jpg

Sponsored

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am using crawler concepts sliders and rocker skins. The Sliders are weld on only and the skins are aluminum. I love the functionality of the sliders, they go up to almost the bottom of the door. They do not stick out too far but cannot be really used as a step. I have tested this a few times and they have performed great. I do not have any body damage but i did scrape some paint off my rear fenders. I have also landed on them pretty hard a few times.

***NOTE*** Although i am happy with the sliders, i was not happy with the manufacturer. I called and they stated they had it in stock. It took over a month before they shipped it out to me. The only reason they shipped it out was because i filed a claim with paypal. The same day i filed the claim, the sliders were shipped out. Look up BBB for Crawler Concepts. BUYER BEWARE

twLyY7l.jpg

9scYGW7.jpg

RamenLife

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU S
My @Metalcloak sliders add a lot more protection, not a huge added step but it is more than the Rubi rails.

8DB09FDE-0F32-4EA8-82D0-CB79B79C6D29.jpeg

2AD1E5EF-4993-43D5-8647-B111731BA5B6.jpeg

Can you show me pictures from top so how far it comes out to use for step? I really like @Metalcloak stuff and want to have them on my rubi. How you like them? How strong are they?

Thank you!

Greenegg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
I have the roam and really like everything about them until they started to rust really bad.
Sponsored