Sponsored

Prospective new Jeep buyer needs advise

FordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer
Hello everyone!

Im new to the forums here and have been doing a tad bit of research, but I wanted to reach out before pulling the trigger on a Wrangler.

Ive been driving Fords my entire life. F-150's, Mustangs, Fusion and currently a 2019 Explorer Sport.
Recently I had enough of Ford and started looking at Jeep. Im very drawn to the "I can drive anywhere abilities" and I have dabbled in off roading. Nothing too serious more out of low confidence in my vehicles off road capabilities than anything. I am a very outdoors kinda guy, hunting, camping, fishing and would love to add some serious off roading to that list.

So long story short, Im trading in my 2019 Explorer because I absolutely hate it, but I am stuck on what trim to buy. I have 2 Kids, want some serious capabilities but without all the luxuries. It will be a daily driver.

My thoughts were 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Sting Grey, Cloth seats with a hardtop colour match roof, fenders and Metal front & rear bumpers..not to sure on the other essential options or what's just a money grab.....I basically want a freaking tank on 4 wheels that I can go anywhere with and when its full of bullet casings, blood and grime. I can just take a pressure washer to the inside and its ready to go on its next run.

I only know what Ive learned about Jeep in the 5 days Ive been researching on youtube videos and the forums. I know the dealership is going to try and rape me on the Rubicon and Im already approved. So before I pull the trigger Im looking for anyone to chime in!

Thanks,
I look forward to taking part in your community!
Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
My advice, others may differ.

Get the Rubicon, it has the best spec as stock for what you want it to do. It’s already very capable.

Get the bumpers to make it feel a bit more like it’s yours.

Then run it as stock for a while, learn about it’s capabilities and what you’d like to upgrade. Then spend the money.

It’s easy to just throw money at this.

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
Welcome to the family. :) My wife has a 2018 JL and I just got my 2019. I'd highly recommend springing for the proximity door locks - my wife's doesn't have it and I sorely miss it every time I drive hers. I'd also recommend the tow package (it includes lots of upgrades beyond just a hitch) and the LED lighting package as add-ons. I'm sure you'll get a ton of conflicting opinions to ponder. If you haven't already, definitely check this thread out, it might help you decide.

After getting your JL, what option do you regret not getting?

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon in Ocean Blue Metallic
A JLUR is a great vehicle. I had a 2013 JKU Sport and once I built it up to Rubicon level capabilities it was exactly what you are looking for. A tank that would go anywhere. My wife had 2013 JKR and it was great stock, but better with a mild lift and 35" tires. Now we just bought a JL Rubicon and with the 33" tires and higher stance, I don't foresee any near-term upgrades. If you want to do mild off-roading, any model will get the job done. If you think you are going to get more into it, you will save money IMO just buying a Rubicon and running it stock. Sway bar disconnect, lockers, higher stance, bigger tires all essentially pay for themselves.

As for other options, that is just a personal choice IMO. This time we pretty much bought everything since my wife is into luxury! I spoil her...anyways, I think the 4th of July with current sales is a good time. I know her in the Northern Virginia area sale prices have been good. I bought our JK Rubi last week for about 15% off MSRP.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
Welcome from Montreal.

In my opinion, get all the packages. Ok, that might seems like a lot, but they are worth it. Cold Weather package is a must in Canada and includes remote start. Even if you don't plan to tow, the Tow Package includes HD Electric, so your wiring harness will include the extra wiring for lights, radios, dash cams (etc) which is the hardest part. It also includes a bigger battery and alternator. The 8.4" UConnect 4C with 9 speaker Alpine is amazing. I can turn the volume up ALL THE WAY and it still sounds good! Why bother with aftermarket, when you can get this with warranty.

I did not get colour-matched anything. I wanted to be able to repair or replace the top and fenders cheaper and more easily. I also like the rugged look of the textured-black parts.

I got cloth seats, but also have Bartact premium tactical MOLLE seat covers, front and back.

Lastly, the steel bumpers... I got them, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I added a winch, and it was probably less expensive to replace the whole bumper than it was to put a winch plate in the OEM steel bumper. AEV bumpers for the JL will be out soon, and they are WAY better.

Lastly, find and print the Canada Order Guide from this site. Let your dealer know that you've seen the "Invoice" price and you won't get screwed on a good deal. If you order something in Canada, you will not pay less than Invoice. The numbers in Canada and the US are not the same. US Dealer price is the same as Canadian MSRP...

Good luck. Sting-Grey rocks!

Sponsored

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
Get the Rubicon. It's not a tank. It has it's weak points, but it is extremely capable out of the box.

Also, I wouldn't take a pressure washer to the interior of the JL, but maybe that's just me.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone!

Im new to the forums here and have been doing a tad bit of research, but I wanted to reach out before pulling the trigger on a Wrangler.

Ive been driving Fords my entire life. F-150's, Mustangs, Fusion and currently a 2019 Explorer Sport.
Recently I had enough of Ford and started looking at Jeep. Im very drawn to the "I can drive anywhere abilities" and I have dabbled in off roading. Nothing too serious more out of low confidence in my vehicles off road capabilities than anything. I am a very outdoors kinda guy, hunting, camping, fishing and would love to add some serious off roading to that list.

So long story short, Im trading in my 2019 Explorer because I absolutely hate it, but I am stuck on what trim to buy. I have 2 Kids, want some serious capabilities but without all the luxuries. It will be a daily driver.

My thoughts were 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Sting Grey, Cloth seats with a hardtop colour match roof, fenders and Metal front & rear bumpers..not to sure on the other essential options or what's just a money grab.....I basically want a freaking tank on 4 wheels that I can go anywhere with and when its full of bullet casings, blood and grime. I can just take a pressure washer to the inside and its ready to go on its next run.

I only know what Ive learned about Jeep in the 5 days Ive been researching on youtube videos and the forums. I know the dealership is going to try and rape me on the Rubicon and Im already approved. So before I pull the trigger Im looking for anyone to chime in!

Thanks,
Welcome aboard.... I’m not going to give to much advise, it sounds like you’re headed down the right path. If you’re gonna be wheeling in the woods and down some tight trails I would recommend the plastic fenders and top. That’s one thing I’m glad I did. Mine is pretty scratched up but doesn’t look as bad as the scratches in the paint. I’m all for battle scars, “ it’ll buff out” is my motto. But just saying. Enjoy.....:)

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Kids and cloth seats. Over the years I have had both leather and cloth. IMHO leather is way easier to clean. The down side of leather is it needs to be conditioned often. I ordered my JLUR in leather because I now have grandkids. Spills wipe up very easy and the leather is dry and clean. When I clean the Jeep I vacuum the seats wipe with a cloth with leather conditioner. Now addressing model. You live in snow country and do light off-roading you may really consider a A limited slip equipped Jeep vs a rubi with lockers. (Lockers only work in 4lo and the diffs. are open if not locked) Limited slip works better in snow and ice. I hope this helps.

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not in a rush to purchase I might wait for the new eco-diesel coming out. At least to test drive. I would definitely get the Rubicon with LED and Tow package. I love the leather seats and the cold weather group myself but I am in Colorado.

One quick note: I really regretted not getting color match fenders and hardtop, BUT now that I have run a ton a trails in Colorado and I now have light branch scratches all over I am glad my fenders are plastic and my roof is the Basic Black because they don't show like the paint does. Just my two cents.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone!

Thanks,
I bought a loaded Sahara JLU only because I knew I was going to upgrade the axles and a lot more to go off-road. If you're going to wheel but rock crawl, go Rubicon or if just going off-road then Sahara or Sport S. We're getting my wife a Rubicon JLU when the 2020's come out, only because we want to pay some stuff off first.

54517899_2188173001497295_8012685953715929088_n.jpg

Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Hello everyone!

Thanks,
JLU Sport S or Sahara. Unless you are serious offroading, a rubicon is a waste of money (unless you just like the way it looks, but then you are paying for a hood sticker.)

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a Jeep that you can comfortably take a pressure washer to the inside, get a YJ. I don’t trust the finicky-ass electronics on my rubicon to withstand more than light showers that I may encounter with the doors off, top up.

As far as options go, don’t listen to anyone here: nothing is a must-have. I got my Rubicon with three options- body-colored fenders, LED lights and the steel bumpers. I could easily live without all three of those options and I have in the past (except steel bumpers because TJs came stock with them and my YJ came with some nice aftermarket steel ones).

Oh, you’re from Canada, so the cold weather package MUST be necessary right? Wrong! The heater works great and maybe you have a local guy who install block heaters far better than the factory ones, I dunno.

Point is, get the options you want- don’t let anyone convince you you need something you don’t.

I will say though that I love the LEDs and Rubicon trim. They both come highly recommended.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Welcome to the site, great advice all around, since it sounds like you don't mind doing your homework might make a post "Best dealer deals in (whatever city) Canada" and see if members can help w/ a dealer that won't rake you over the coals. Not sure about Canada but shopping dealers against each other you can get some much better deals. Here's a good thread if you want to buy in the US if it's not too much hassle.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/map-of-dealers-with-competitive-pricing.16315/
And the map of best dealers
https://sites.google.com/view/wranglerdeals/home
Good luck w/ your search & deal!

OP
OP

FordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your insight. It is greatly appreciated. I look forward to becoming an active member within this awesome community.

A lot of the feedback I received from you all really helped me at the dealership today knowing more about what I personally need. It had the sales department tucking their tail between their legs, compared to my first visit.

I chose to walk due to rodent like games that otherwise would have went over my head. I will continue researching and learning from all of your experiences to truly find the Wrangler and dealer for me rather than buying off impulse.

Thanks again everyone!

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I got a Sahara mostly due to Selectrac system. I want to set it and forget it, in winter in Calgary haha. This is my first wrangler too after having bunch of trucks, sedans, hatches, etc. I love it!

I ordered mine on last day in April and got close to $10,000 off. I think incentives went down after that, but with 2020s around the corner, I am sure there are deals to be had on 2019s.
Sponsored