Sky One-Touch Top Roof Rack Options

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep JKU, 2019 JLU Rubicon
If you install our floor system or cross members on the top rails of the basket, we should clear your power top by about 1/2". Leaving you with a completely functional power top with the sliding rack in the closed position. You would likely have to close the top to open the sliding rack though. But until I get my hands on a power top, I wont guarantee it... :)
That would be awesome. PM me if you're looking for someone to do a test install/promo video :)
Sponsored

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
We may have something that suits your needs... ;)
It’s July, I watched the video ;) Aside from folding up a soft top what are the additional benefits of the sliding roof. I don’t see myself using it but I’m hoping to be schooled. I plan to attach a tent to the roof among many things.

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU

Sponsored

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
The gobi looks like the saide rails, being two on each side, will support more weight.

Does anyone know about wind noise for either the Gobi or the LOD?

I want to be able to put 4 x 8 sheets on top, The gobi website does not yet have the dimensions width and length, of their rack. For those of you that bought one, do you have those dimensions? Thanks in advance

ClemsonJeep18

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
In case anyone is interested in just mounting cross bars for kayaks, etc... both Yamkima and Thule have rain gutter attachment feet that come in a "high rise" version. Thule has options for 5", 8" and 11" above the gutter mounts (https://www.amazon.com/Thule-Roof-Rack-Gutter-Mount/dp/B00027ESJK?th=1&psc=1) and Yakima has an adapter to add to theirs that adds 3.5" to the base foot height which they don't exactly specify but I can't imagine would not be high enough (https://www.yakima.com/1a-raingutte...2.1326707527.1566315834-1441781788.1566315834)

Again, this is just for rooftop accessories (I was searching for something to mount my roof top box on)

(Maybe one day I will get a rack and tent)

thule.JPG

yakima.JPG

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
I feel like it’s possible to getaway with 2 normal sized Thules. One somewhere in the front where the top doesnt raise much as it slides back. The most raised part seems to be somewhere in the middle of the pull back. And then another one in the back behind where the top stops. That should be good for a surf board or perhaps even a tent.

Sponsored

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I just purchased a 2020 4D Jeep Rubicon with the Sky One-Touch and I have successfully installed traditional THULE square steel cross bars with the Thule 387 Roof Rack Rain Gutter Mount in "HIGH" (or 8" height) size. The Thule 387s in "Super High" (or 11" height) are not necessary. The 8" high version adequately clears the"pinched" material of the Sky One-Touch at all points in the retraction process of opening the top. I have had no issues whatsoever.

The good news, if you are a Thule system user, is that Thule is coming out with a new "high" footer pack for their AeroBlade cross bars sometime before June 30, 2020. That is a direct quote from one of their technical service reps with whom I talked on the phone last week. The Aeros will help tremendously to reduce "wind noise", which the square bars have quite a bit of on my 2020 Rubi. It's the nature of the beast, I guess, and wind noise varies significantly by automobile design.

So the Thule square bars with 8" high footers are certainly a viable option for new Sky One-Touch Jeeps. (Someone else posted this same basic conclusion on the thread below as well). Longer-term help is on the way later next year for the even better option of high footers with Thule Aerobars.

I don't know what Yakima offers here so you might want to give them a call directly. All of the roof rack manufacturers basically follow the other in terms of new product roll outs and designs so none of them are far apart on technical application. I ceased using Yakima systems a number of years ago (they are very good) but only because I was driving an Audi at the time (which, being designed and manufactured in the EU is more aligned with the Swedish Thule system(s)).

I hope this is helpful. Thanks so much for teeing up the issuer! It was very helpful to have this thread out there a month or two ago when I was looking at upgrading my 2017 2D Wrangler to a new 2020 4D Rubi .

Best,

-Scott

chaotic neutral

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU MOAB Ed
I just purchased a 2020 4D Jeep Rubicon with the Sky One-Touch and I have successfully installed traditional THULE square steel cross bars with the Thule 387 Roof Rack Rain Gutter Mount in "HIGH" (or 8" height) size. The Thule 387s in "Super High" (or 11" height) are not necessary. The 8" high version adequately clears the"pinched" material of the Sky One-Touch at all points in the retraction process of opening the top. I have had no issues whatsoever.

The good news, if you are a Thule system user, is that Thule is coming out with a new "high" footer pack for their AeroBlade cross bars sometime before June 30, 2020. That is a direct quote from one of their technical service reps with whom I talked on the phone last week. The Aeros will help tremendously to reduce "wind noise", which the square bars have quite a bit of on my 2020 Rubi. It's the nature of the beast, I guess, and wind noise varies significantly by automobile design.

So the Thule square bars with 8" high footers are certainly a viable option for new Sky One-Touch Jeeps. (Someone else posted this same basic conclusion on the thread below as well). Longer-term help is on the way later next year for the even better option of high footers with Thule Aerobars.

I don't know what Yakima offers here so you might want to give them a call directly. All of the roof rack manufacturers basically follow the other in terms of new product roll outs and designs so none of them are far apart on technical application. I ceased using Yakima systems a number of years ago (they are very good) but only because I was driving an Audi at the time (which, being designed and manufactured in the EU is more aligned with the Swedish Thule system(s)).

I hope this is helpful. Thanks so much for teeing up the issuer! It was very helpful to have this thread out there a month or two ago when I was looking at upgrading my 2017 2D Wrangler to a new 2020 4D Rubi .

Best,

-Scott
Would you post a photo when you have a minute? Love to see it! Thanks.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I too got the gobi rack installed! about 16 weeks to delivery. difficult to get a return call or talk to anyone to order or talk about an order. Very amazing packaging, looks incredibly well engineered. I couldn't be happier twith the rack!
Sponsored