SmartStopStart, disable ESS the way it should have been designed

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I'm fairly certain that ESS was designed exactly the way it should have been: as a non-latching circuit to meet CAFE requirements. The designer is not to blame here, they are just playing the game that the NHTSA came up with.

Your slogan should be: "Screw NHTSA, I want my motor to idle"
EXACTLY! You hit the nail on the head. This garbage isnt coming from the auto companies, its coming form your friends in the US government! Without all the mandated BS you could buy a new vehicle for probably 10K or more LESS $! If you want the air bags, TPMS, & other nanny BS it should be OPTIONAL!
Sponsored

JDulks

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Yukon Denali, 2013 BMW 335i e93
I agree it is annoying, but $129 is a lot of money for this simple feature. This should cost $49.99.. More people would buy it including myself.

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Best mod I’ve done as I hated having to hit the button to turn the ESS off. It’s literally a five minute install and that includes removing and reinstalling the lower center panel to make access to the plug even easier. Works like a charm and worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I agree it is annoying, but $129 is a lot of money for this simple feature. This should cost $49.99.. More people would buy it including myself.
Most aftermarket electronics is Asian import consumer grade. Consumer grade electronics in a vehicle will often fail from temperature cycles and vibration and moisture in the vehicle within a couple of years.

Our product is US designed, US final assembled and tested and uses traceable major brand components that are automotive grade. This is the same as automotive manufacturers use. We thoroughly test our product both in the lab and in the field. Then we back up our product with a 3-year replacement warranty, comparable to Jeep. If I were plugging a product into my vehicle's computer network I would not want to settle for less. Look at our reviews...our performance with this product has been nearly perfect.

If you do have a problem you will get a knowledgeable human on the phone or a responsive email who will help you. So yes, you will not see this priced like Asian import products we are all used to seeing these days.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Best mod yet, and I’ve spend 2k-3k in mods. $129.00 for a quality US 3 year backed product, is well worth it!!!

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Installed mine and it works great. Reaching the connector was easier than what I saw on the video. Also added a zip tie around the larger piece since it seemed a bit loose on the velcro due to tension.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Have had mine installed since it was first released and it just works 100% of the time and is flawless

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Installed mine and it works great. Reaching the connector was easier than what I saw on the video. Also added a zip tie around the larger piece since it seemed a bit loose on the velcro due to tension.
I did this too as the “furry” side of the included Velcro didn't grab well which left the larger piece a little too floppy. Maybe @SmartStopStart.com should consider including heavy duty Velcro with the kit to make for a more solid mount.

OP
OP
SmartStopStart.com

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I did this too as the “furry” side of the included Velcro didn't grab well which left the larger piece a little too floppy. Maybe @SmartStopStart.com should consider including heavy duty Velcro with the kit to make for a more solid mount.
We do use heavy duty (NOT standard) Velcro in the kit. It seems to work fine in my Wrangler, but if the consensus wants tie wraps included we can include that too for some extra support.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
We do use heavy duty (NOT standard) Velcro in the kit. It seems to work fine in my Wrangler, but if the consensus wants tie wraps included we can include that too for some extra support.
I used the standard Velcro you included and it’s been holding fine for lots of months but then I have not been under there looking either

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
Hey now... This is a US made product, it's a lousy $130 and that includes shipping, it has a warranty and like real humans if you have a problem.
I installed this device and it works perfect, that's all that needs to be said.

I hope it costs $2.00 to make it and they are making a ton of profit, I learned very early in my self employment (retired now), that profit isn't a bad word.

If someone want to get rid of the annoying feature, its going to cost $129, well unless they want to buy the Taser for $300.
I'm 100% sure they can sell it for $50, no warranty, quality gone and no support, oh, and you will have to pay those money grubbing whores at the USPS for shipping...
Seems some people want everything for nothing these days.
Device $50
Shipping $20
Support $20
3 year warranty $30
Um... right back to the original price, but I have not included anything for QUALITY, that in itself is worth more than the selling price.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Hey now... This is a US made product, it's a lousy $130 and that includes shipping, it has a warranty and like real humans if you have a problem.
I installed this device and it works perfect, that's all that needs to be said.

I hope it costs $2.00 to make it and they are making a ton of profit, I learned very early in my self employment (retired now), that profit isn't a bad word.

If someone want to get rid of the annoying feature, its going to cost $129, well unless they want to buy the Taser for $300.
I'm 100% sure they can sell it for $50, no warranty, quality gone and no support, oh, and you will have to pay those money grubbing whores at the USPS for shipping...
Seems some people want everything for nothing these days.
Device $50
Shipping $20
Support $20
3 year warranty $30
Um... right back to the original price, but I have not included anything for QUALITY, that in itself is worth more than the selling price.
I couldn’t agree with you more!!!

mbinzayed

First Name
Mohammad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019